Yo, is there any CLOSED headphones that looks PRETTY and are COMFY??
Dec 21, 2010 at 4:02 PM Post #2 of 90
"Pretty" is pretty subjective, but perhaps you could give us a better idea of what you're looking for: What type of music do you prefer? Is there a price range you're looking within? Are you looking for isolation with the closed design, or is that just an aesthetic?

I hear the AH-D2000's are incredibly comfortable, and personally I think they're rather attractive, but they don't isolate well and might not have the sonic qualities you're looking for. The D5000's come with Mahogany cups, which I find even more attractive, and make up for some of what the D2000's lack, but they cost a touch under $400 (new), which might be out of your price range.

The Beyerdynamic have a good reputation for comfort, and the velour pads could be to your liking. The DT770's are closed, seem to be middle of the line in terms of sound quality, and go for around $200.

ATH A700's are cheaper, and also come with good comfort and soundstage. Their look is quite unique, though, and I'm not sure if they're "pretty" enough for you.

Dec 21, 2010 at 4:04 PM Post #3 of 90
I'd also be interested .. price is a bit of a limit for me though.  I've tried:
HD 205
HD 202
and will be trying the HD 428

I sold the first two - didn't fancy the supra aural ear cup (even after stretching)

The 428's are circumaural though, so I have high hopes!  They should be on the way as we speak, so I should be able to comment on them pre-burn-in in a few days.

You should post a budget though, and what you like listening to.  But it seems that from you list of requirements, you want to use these outside (which is probably why "pretty" is important).

Dec 21, 2010 at 4:30 PM Post #4 of 90
JVC HAS700, cheap, decent, and very pretty, IMHO. The comfort is fantabular.

Dec 21, 2010 at 4:34 PM Post #5 of 90

Quote:
"Pretty" is pretty subjective, but perhaps you could give us a better idea of what you're looking for: What type of music do you prefer? Is there a price range you're looking within? Are you looking for isolation with the closed design, or is that just an aesthetic?

I hear the AH-D2000's are incredibly comfortable, and personally I think they're rather attractive, but they don't isolate well and might not have the sonic qualities you're looking for. The D5000's come with Mahogany cups, which I find even more attractive, and make up for some of what the D2000's lack, but they cost a touch under $400 (new), which might be out of your price range.

The Beyerdynamic have a good reputation for comfort, and the velour pads could be to your liking. The DT770's are closed, seem to be middle of the line in terms of sound quality, and go for around $200.

ATH A700's are cheaper, and also come with good comfort and soundstage. Their look is quite unique, though, and I'm not sure if they're "pretty" enough for you.

Okay, now we're talking!

Pretty to me is... Ehh... Sennheiser HD 558/598. Open cans are generally more good looking than closed. Lot of Sennheisers open cans are very nice to the eyes (and probably ears), but when we come to the close ones I don't really know... I dont know if I ever seen a nice closed can from Sennheiser. But I like the looks of the Ultrasone Edition 8, but I've never seen it with my own eyes and I think it's too shiny (and expensive).

Music? Hm, I listen to almost everything, but I don't like rap and such stuff...
Price range? Not above $1000.
Isolation is a must. I don't want to disturb everyone around me. And it would be nice if I could wear them outside.

I have tested the D2000 and it is comfy, yes. But I don't like the look of it. It feels too plastic for me. And the D5000 feels too "big".

DT770 and A700 is just not my style.

I hope my post is readable. (I'm from Sweden)

Dec 21, 2010 at 4:56 PM Post #9 of 90
Dec 21, 2010 at 5:18 PM Post #14 of 90

Quote:
Quote:
JVC HAS700, cheap, decent, and very pretty, IMHO. The comfort is fantabular.

looks like a bose copy to me...

For $30, it's a steal. I bought this a while back, and I enjoyed them well enough. The OP asked for closed, looks and comfort. IMHO, these are all three, though the SQ isn't anything special. These look BETTER than the Bose, IMHO. They are actually a little different when directly comparing them (I have).

Dec 21, 2010 at 5:21 PM Post #15 of 90
Audio Technica W5000

Users who are viewing this thread

Back