Yanyin Discussion thread
Oct 27, 2022 at 2:21 AM Post #1,996 of 2,418
A pair of Moonlights arrived today and I'm giving them a listen with stock tips and cable. Now it's time to try some different tips! If anyone has a suggestion for an inexpensive cable that meshes well with the moonlights (there is the 11.11 sale on aliexpress soon!) of a particular build let me know.

I've seen a couple tip recommendations here, I'll have to scroll back through the forum posts now :).
Hi! After trying it with more expensive cables (ISN Solar, Moondrop Shirokawa, Penon Mix) It has stayed with the ISN G4, a cable that is not cheap, but has been on sale for a long time and deserves every penny. It seems to be made of the same materials as the stock one, but I immediately noticed better definition and detail, and a little more body. As for tips, the Azla SednaEarfit Crystal have given me very good results

Oct 27, 2022 at 2:37 PM Post #1,998 of 2,418
Hi! After trying it with more expensive cables (ISN Solar, Moondrop Shirokawa, Penon Mix) It has stayed with the ISN G4, a cable that is not cheap, but has been on sale for a long time and deserves every penny. It seems to be made of the same materials as the stock one, but I immediately noticed better definition and detail, and a little more body. As for tips, the Azla SednaEarfit Crystal have given me very good results
very interesting ...i might pull the trigger in this cable for my mahina

Oct 27, 2022 at 4:12 PM Post #1,999 of 2,418
The ISN G4 is 100$. Aren't there cheaper deals?
Moonlight cable costs 70$. I think less then this price no reason to take. Cable of moonlight is copper + graphene+ silver plated. It's really good for this price.

Oct 27, 2022 at 7:12 PM Post #2,000 of 2,418
Hey, all mc
I am considering getting a new pair of iems, I've mentioned before being interested in the Canon (I still am) but I know I can just go "all in" and get the mahina and right now I'm wondering if I should just get those now and skip the upgrade ladder completely.

For mahina owners, or people who have used them; is there anything you don't like about them? I listen mostly to rock and metal. From tool, to mastodon, foals, king gizzard and lots of classic rock... Basically 80% of the time. The rest of the time is mostly pop like kimbra, Miley Cyrus to hip hop/rap like childish Gambino or Mac Miller.

Any idea what should I expect from getting the mahina instead of the canon? I like the versatility of the Canon but if the Mahina are better all rounders I'd rather go with them.

Sadly, where I am from, it is not easy to get something, try it out and flip it, so the decision will be pretty much final that's why I would love to hear your thoughts regarding these iems :)

Thanks in advance!

Oct 27, 2022 at 7:38 PM Post #2,001 of 2,418
Thanks in advance!
I have no say of the Mahina, but if you "settle" on the Canons, you will not be disappointed whatsoever; that being said, you may always aim higher if that is your dig. As far as headphones, you can go down that rabbit-hole easily. All in all, I haven't found a fault in my set of Canons to aim higher over. With the music you listed, you'll be happy.

What do you have now?

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2022 at 7:50 PM Post #2,002 of 2,418
I have no say of the Mahina, but if you "settle" on the Canons, you will not be disappointed whatsoever; that being said, you may always aim higher if that is your dig. As far as headphones, you can go down that rabbit-hole easily. All in all, I haven't found a fault in my set of Canons to aim higher over. With the music you listed, you'll be happy.

What do you have now?
Not gonna lie, you got me really hyped for the Canons (have been reading basically every review out there haha) but while looking into them I was like "hmm what if I just go to the top and don't worry about upgrades at any point?" it might be a little naive on my part but who knows? :p

For iems right now I have the moondrop aria, which I like fine but definitely get muddy when listening to heavy/sludge stuff like mastodon or Boris, the Japanese band
As for headphones I have some hifiman 5xx which I do like but I really want to prioritize the iems for now since I am using them so much more

I also have a schit magni/midi stack and the ifi hip dac.

Oct 27, 2022 at 8:41 PM Post #2,003 of 2,418
Hey, all mc
I am considering getting a new pair of iems, I've mentioned before being interested in the Canon (I still am) but I know I can just go "all in" and get the mahina and right now I'm wondering if I should just get those now and skip the upgrade ladder completely.

For mahina owners, or people who have used them; is there anything you don't like about them? I listen mostly to rock and metal. From tool, to mastodon, foals, king gizzard and lots of classic rock... Basically 80% of the time. The rest of the time is mostly pop like kimbra, Miley Cyrus to hip hop/rap like childish Gambino or Mac Miller.

Any idea what should I expect from getting the mahina instead of the canon? I like the versatility of the Canon but if the Mahina are better all rounders I'd rather go with them.

Sadly, where I am from, it is not easy to get something, try it out and flip it, so the decision will be pretty much final that's why I would love to hear your thoughts regarding these iems :)

Thanks in advance!
I owned the Canon at one point but, the 4k peak was a little fatiguing for me at louder volumes. Mahina is actually what I'm listening to right now. Many people don't mind the 4k peak. For transparency I'm a huge fan of dark IEMs like OG Tea and OG Dark Magician so take my opinion very lightly on the treble. Every other aspect of the Canon is great and I'd still consider it a great contender to slightly higher priced IEMs. If your worried about buyers remorse not getting the Mahina know that it's only marginally better in technicality. Plus, with Canon you'll get the switches and can change up the flavor. My advice, even as big Mahina fan, is go with Canon.

Oct 27, 2022 at 9:19 PM Post #2,004 of 2,418
I owned the Canon at one point but, the 4k peak was a little fatiguing for me at louder volumes. Mahina is actually what I'm listening to right now. Many people don't mind the 4k peak. For transparency I'm a huge fan of dark IEMs like OG Tea and OG Dark Magician so take my opinion very lightly on the treble. Every other aspect of the Canon is great and I'd still consider it a great contender to slightly higher priced IEMs. If your worried about buyers remorse not getting the Mahina know that it's only marginally better in technicality. Plus, with Canon you'll get the switches and can change up the flavor. My advice, even as big Mahina fan, is go with Canon.
Thanks for the detailed response! It seems like I might be saving some money soon haha

Quick question, what do you mean by "technicality"? I see the term thrown around quite often but I'm not 100% sure I understand what it means

And another question, I know you didn't like that 4k peak on the Canon but is there anything you don't like on the mahina?

What about comfort on both? Are they comparable? I know we all have different ears but just wondering.

Oct 27, 2022 at 11:17 PM Post #2,005 of 2,418
I have the EJ07M KL, OH10, Fiio FH5S, Canon, and Kinera Db5Pro- Left in my rotation. So now with this large gamit I know I like brighter but not simbalant sound. The OH10 pushes the envelope but the Canon is close behind.
The EST in the EJ sounds perfect for me and we'll worth the money and I only would have upgraded having not heard the Canon they are that good a value.

With all those I still have the Canon and the most fun to listen to straight off my Hiby 6 2020.

Since you have a good stack the Canon would be great choice ,so would the OH10 and tribrids like the Moonlight and Mahina as I find they certainly become more coherent and scale with power.
I didn't really really love the EJ until I heard them on a tube amp and now finally on my AKM J2, A90D stack

I didn't see/could not find a ton of reviews on the Canon when I bought mine used. Glad I took a chance and if you buy a set don't think you will be disappointed!

Oct 28, 2022 at 1:25 AM Post #2,006 of 2,418
... The OH10 pushes the envelope but the Canon is close behind.

With all those I still have the Canon and the most fun to listen to straight off my Hiby 6 2020.
The left unit of my Kinera Norn (7 mos. old) failed, so while I wait to find out if I have any warranty hope on them, I also am considering the Canon's or Moondrop Variations.

@TheDeafMonk can you give a bit more info about Ikko OH10 vs Canon when you say "The OH10 pushes the envelope but the Canon is close behind."?? The OH10 has been my go-to utility IEM and I loved the Norn for a level of clarity in the upper mids and treble vs the OH10. I don't want something just a little better than the OH10 if I'm spending $3-400.

NOTE: I just read some current posts in the Ikko OH10 thread where you say the Canon is a definite upgrade over the OH10, so I feel good about ordering that soon.

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2022 at 6:57 AM Post #2,007 of 2,418
I came here fearing for my wallet and it turns out everyone is suggesting I spend less money, I have to say I am very surprised!
It seems like I'll be going for the Canon, I am very excited about this :) Thanks everyone for sharing your thoughts!
One more question, do you know if I can expect any Discounts on the Canon this coming 11.11 based on previous years regarding Yanyin products or should I should just go for them now?

Oct 28, 2022 at 7:24 AM Post #2,008 of 2,418
Thanks for the detailed response! It seems like I might be saving some money soon haha

Quick question, what do you mean by "technicality"? I see the term thrown around quite often but I'm not 100% sure I understand what it means

And another question, I know you didn't like that 4k peak on the Canon but is there anything you don't like on the mahina?

What about comfort on both? Are they comparable? I know we all have different ears but just wondering.
I look at it as things the frequency graph doesn't show. Like imaging, staging or resolving ability. As two differemt IEMs can graph very similar but, not sound the same. Now this isn't to say that just because an IEM cost more it'll be be better. In the case of the Mahina vs Canon though my opinion is it holds true. Not to throw more confusion you're way but, have you considered the Olina or Olina SE? It's an extremely component IEM given it's price and puts many IEMs costing double to shame.

I'm sure the Mahina has faults but, I don't think my care to identify them is enough. I'm someone more inclined to to throw on IEM and if it clicks it clicks. Don't spend to much time digging for why I dont if it's not immediately noticable. Basically if the overall coherency of the drivers is good, it's not to analytical and the treble is non offensive to me I'm good.

I'd say for the day they're both pretty close. Not as large as the Mest MKII or Monarch MKII. They have good insertion depth without being to deep or shallow. They're the closest in shell shape for me to being a custom without actually being one. YMMV though.

Oct 28, 2022 at 7:41 AM Post #2,009 of 2,418
I look at it as things the frequency graph doesn't show. Like imaging, staging or resolving ability. As two differemt IEMs can graph very similar but, not sound the same. Now this isn't to say that just because an IEM cost more it'll be be better. In the case of the Mahina vs Canon though my opinion is it holds true. Not to throw more confusion you're way but, have you considered the Olina or Olina SE? It's an extremely component IEM given it's price and puts many IEMs costing double to shame.

I'm sure the Mahina has faults but, I don't think my care to identify them is enough. I'm someone more inclined to to throw on IEM and if it clicks it clicks. Don't spend to much time digging for why I dont if it's not immediately noticable. Basically if the overall coherency of the drivers is good, it's not to analytical and the treble is non offensive to me I'm good.

I'd say for the day they're both pretty close. Not as large as the Mest MKII or Monarch MKII. They have good insertion depth without being to deep or shallow. They're the closest in shell shape for me to being a custom without actually being one. YMMV though.
A non offensive treble and not being too analytical is something I would enjoy as well.

I've heard of the olina but when I was researching it I went with the aria, I feel like right now it could be more of a side grade than upgrade and I'd rather spend those 100usd towards a proper upgrade which, at this point, seems to be the Canon

Thanks again for the replies, I appreciate it!

Oct 28, 2022 at 1:46 PM Post #2,010 of 2,418
I came here fearing for my wallet and it turns out everyone is suggesting I spend less money, I have to say I am very surprised!
It seems like I'll be going for the Canon, I am very excited about this :) Thanks everyone for sharing your thoughts!
One more question, do you know if I can expect any Discounts on the Canon this coming 11.11 based on previous years regarding Yanyin products or should I should just go for them now?
I think it is great that you are moving on the Canon; as far as price is concerned, I have seen them dip as low as $270 on Alliexpress, but as others may say so here, you must check the seller and make sure they aren't refurbished etc. I have ordered off of Alliexpress and had zero problems; definitely saved money as well.

I myself dropped the full $350 from Audio46 because they were 3 days away instead of 3 weeks. I had the money and a burning in my ears; at least, that is my excuse.

If you do order from Asia, you can expect about 2 weeks waiting time (once it is shipped/enters customs), as it took a little less than that to receive my Tansio Mirai Sands.

Be sure to let us know what you think.

I personally keep the dips on 1-1-0 and even poor Tool bootlegs sound great - feels like I'm at Coachella 99. 🤘🏻

Users who are viewing this thread

Back