Yanyin Discussion thread
May 31, 2022 at 8:16 PM Post #1,322 of 2,418
Just in. Pretty impressed with the case and accessories, but then I am comparing to the Aladdin at 1/3 the price. There are some spare tips in there, but I'll be using CP145 anyway.

Also comfort, for me at least, is much better than the Aladdin. They fit like a glove.

Time to listen.
IMG_20220601_120256_994~3.jpg

Jun 2, 2022 at 5:40 AM Post #1,323 of 2,418
Soooo, how are all the Moonlight owners doing?? Enjoying the set still?

Jun 2, 2022 at 6:38 AM Post #1,324 of 2,418
Soooo, how are all the Moonlight owners doing?? Enjoying the set still?
Still waiting for USPS to stop sending it to random states for the last week (some multiple times) instead of my home address. DHL is a joke in my region they no longer even try to deliver to me.

Jun 2, 2022 at 9:50 AM Post #1,325 of 2,418
Well, good timing!

Jun 2, 2022 at 10:48 AM Post #1,326 of 2,418
I agree on all the point made by HBB there but I am wondering just how much run in time he got on his set. Which would be none as the guy does not believe in burn in.

Absolutely crucial to get some run in time on the Moonlights at least 24 hours straight minimum. Treble especially benefits.

Jun 2, 2022 at 11:01 AM Post #1,327 of 2,418
They go from a good sounding set on open listen to something spectacular with a few days of burn in. Just from his language there he is referring to the Moonlight as being good mostly.. This is something I often see with his reviews even with DAPs. Not faulting him, cus he dont believe burn in does anything so why do it right?

Let me let you all know a bit of a secret. His set of Penon Serials he reviewed was well burned in before he even touched them. Serials out of the box is underwelming. They open up like a flower in spring time when burned in and that is what he got to listen to. In fact I have been telling manfuacturers in general if they plan on sending HBB a set to review. It is best they burn them in before he gets them.

Jun 2, 2022 at 11:06 AM Post #1,328 of 2,418
They go from a good sounding set on open listen to something spectacular with a few days of burn in. Just from his language there he is referring to the Moonlight as being good mostly.. This is something I often see with his reviews even with DAPs. Not faulting him, cus he dont believe burn in does anything so why do it right?

Let me let you all know a bit of a secret. His set of Penon Serials he reviewed was well burned in before he even touched them. Serials out of the box is underwelming. They open up like a flower in spring time when burned in and that is what he got to listen to. In fact I have been telling manfuacturers in general if they plan on sending HBB a set to review. It is best they burn them in before he gets them.
The only case from my life where I think burn-in may have made a difference is the Serial, so there's something to it.

EDIT: "From my life" seems a little dramatic as I've only been listening to IEMs critically for 3 years now. You can replace it with "3 years" :laughing:

Last edited:
Jun 2, 2022 at 11:10 AM Post #1,329 of 2,418

Did you experience much of an improvement or change from burning in the Canon? I feel like the bass thump of my set has decreased over the last few weeks, but I can't tell if it's brain burn in. I always rotate through my sets though, so not sure if brain burn in would play a role

Jun 2, 2022 at 11:15 AM Post #1,330 of 2,418
Ya dynamics overall do sound better with burn in so that makes sense the serial using 3 dyanmics. I have had a few headfiers tell me they were a bit disappointed with the serial on open listen. This is the reason why it is important to not judge a set out of the box.

If your spending your heard earned cash for audio goods why would you not want them to be 100% optimal is my point. I dont blame folks for not believing in burn in but I have had way too many experiences with IEMS that do get much better with burn in. Way too many. In any case

I would put the Moonlight a step above how HBB describes them. I think Yanyin nailed this one. It is an easy recommend for folks wanting to try their first tribrid.

Did you experience much of an improvement or change from burning in the Canon? I feel like the bass thump of my set has decreased over the last few weeks, but I can't tell if it's brain burn in. I always rotate through my sets though, so not sure if brain burn in would play a role

Could be, is that with the bass switch on or off. My set sounds more or less the same but if you feel you want the bottem end to be more of a focus try a pure copper cable on the Canons with the treble switched on to counter the effects of the copper cable.

I do all my reviews only after I burn them in for a weeks straight and that is everything I listen to and review. Maybe your set is finally setting into its final sound. You can also do some tip rolling as well.

One aspect of dyanmic burn in is that usually bass end gets a bit tighter over time so that might be what your experincing.

Last edited:
Jun 2, 2022 at 11:28 AM Post #1,331 of 2,418
The only case from my life where I think burn-in may have made a difference is the Serial, so there's something to it.

EDIT: "From my life" seems a little dramatic as I've only been listening to IEMs critically for 3 years now. You can replace it with "3 years" :laughing:
That would make sense considering its a all DD set and the Voice coil and suspension need to loosen up "Break In". When I worked for a speaker manufacturer we always had a minimum break in time before we sold any drivers. Also keep in mind in Hybrids and tribrids that the nature of BA and EST drivers don't really break in so much as the DD once lossened up changes its frequently output and effects the overall tonal balance of the entire set thusly "Opening them up".

Musicians know that their 🎸 monitor driver needs to be changed after a while in use because the suspension gets too loose and makes sloppy bass.

But same as a brand new driver is very tight and bass is fast but not fully articulated. The Voice coil and capston also sound different after some current is played through and especially with copper VC the sound gets smoother right up to the time you burn the thing LOL!

My 2*

Jun 2, 2022 at 3:49 PM Post #1,332 of 2,418
TLDR: I'm really enjoying the Moonlight.

I've had to do some tip rolling to get to where I am, so I can't comment on what changes may be due to burn in.

The Yanyin tips don't fit my ears well, so I started off with Spinfit CP145s. Coming from the Aladdin I was hoping for slightly more bass impact and presence, but without losing out on the mids that I loved on the Aladdin. Initially I actually found the bass too strong, and it overpowered the mids slightly. The stock tips were better, but not comfortable. Then I tried a wide bore shallow fit tip (BGVP W01) which toned the bass back slightly while keeping the speed and quality.

With the wide-bore tips, I'm now really enjoying the Moonlight.

Technically, the biggest improvement I noticed (without any other experience in this price range) from the Aladdin to the Moonlight is the depth and layering of the soundstage. It immediately reminded me of my Argon's; although not as wide, they have the same ability to place vocals and instruments accurately relative to each other in what sounds like a real 3-dimensional space.

Now the Aladdin's sounds flat and intimate in comparison.

I imagine with different tip combinations that a wide group of people could enjoy these.

Jun 3, 2022 at 6:23 AM Post #1,333 of 2,418
There's a high end DAC manufacturer from Bulgaria, that recommends their device to "burn in for 500 hours". Their specific words. The machine costs €6,000.
Not just powering up, but actually playing it.
Another high end in ear headphone designer and builder based in HK strongly recommend burning in as well.
Our in ear headphones have micro-mechanical drivers, micro current powered balance armature receivers and micro current powered electrostatic tweeters.
We also have to include the crossover networks that will require micro current as well.
To condition all of them, to sound their best - a weathering (BURN IN) is required.
From the Penon thread, I have recently shared about a year ago, The Orbs post burn in via a crude graph using a basic i-mm6. There's an audible gain of 1.5 db from the lower to upper treble. 1.5 db is audible enough to most ears...

Jun 3, 2022 at 7:59 AM Post #1,334 of 2,418
There's a high end DAC manufacturer from Bulgaria, that recommends their device to "burn in for 500 hours". Their specific words. The machine costs €6,000.
Not just powering up, but actually playing it.
Another high end in ear headphone designer and builder based in HK strongly recommend burning in as well.
Our in ear headphones have micro-mechanical drivers, micro current powered balance armature receivers and micro current powered electrostatic tweeters.
We also have to include the crossover networks that will require micro current as well.
To condition all of them, to sound their best - a weathering (BURN IN) is required.
From the Penon thread, I have recently shared about a year ago, The Orbs post burn in via a crude graph using a basic i-mm6. There's an audible gain of 1.5 db from the lower to upper treble. 1.5 db is audible enough to most ears...
Yes burn in is a real thing. The fact is how much a device improves with it. I do know as audiophiles what we feel are large differences are not the same for everyday folk. It will not hurt to burn in you audio gear. It is free and if you hear positive things after it worth it. If you do not notice a difference it is free . I always thought in speaker based systems tube amp improved with burn in. I also thought Cass A amps improved being left on .

Jun 3, 2022 at 5:09 PM Post #1,335 of 2,418
Rolling with my canon on 011 and it's pretty nice as well. Kinda cool having an option to change the sound signature completely. Definitely not an allrounder with this one, hiphop & EDM is a no-go. But for rock/indie a la The War On Drugs that extra treble energy makes for quite a refreshing listen, and doesn't take away from musicality a single bit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back