Yanyin Discussion thread
Mar 19, 2022 at 3:57 PM Post #826 of 2,418
Oh dear, that is a bit of a catch-22! Olina and Dark Magician responded to front vent taping with a boost in the bass without any taming in the treble. Not sure how a tribrid will respond...also, does EJ07m have two vents per shell?

It's interesting you bring up the EJ07m - I have that in mind as my endgame. Don't know if I'd mind a slight treble roll off as much as timbre and staging.

Still waiting on HBB to review the Canon...he has them in the line-up!
Ej07m has only one vent. Well I do prefer a slightly brighter IEMs, EJ07m originally appeared to smooth for me with lack of some bite and energy to certain instruments like cymbals. My DAP lacks of EQ so it is a major downside in this situation.

I am also waiting for his review, you could notice that he already made measurements for it, though who knows when it will be released, well perhaps it would be great idea to to wait for that review and then pull a trigger.

I think you could go for EJ07m Kinda Lava version, tried to simulate its tuning with EQ and it is nice touch indeed, rock or metal track don't sound thin and male vocals has a better body, no emphasis on sub-bass.

Last edited:
Mar 19, 2022 at 4:02 PM Post #827 of 2,418
Ej07m has only one vent. Well I do prefer a slightly brighter IEMs, EJ07m originally appeared to smooth for me with lack of some bite and energy to certain instruments like cymbals. My DAP lacks of EQ so it is a major downside in this situation.

I am also waiting for his review, you could notice that he already made measurements for it, though who knows when it will be released, well perhaps it would be great idea to to wait for that review and then pull a trigger.
Interesting...surprised the EST didn't give that bite to the cymbals. Tuning matters a lot huh.

I hope he gets around to it soon - I'm keen to hear his thoughts on the timbre.

Mar 19, 2022 at 4:13 PM Post #828 of 2,418
Interesting...surprised the EST didn't give that bite to the cymbals. Tuning matters a lot huh.

I think EJ07m was safely tuned. You can watch Akros review he also mentions about a slight lack of energy, of course it also depends on your taste, I come from brighter sets, and I like that aggressiveness and texture that they bring to guitars, synth and other instruments it is as though there is no wall between you and music. To me on EJ07m cymbals sounded slightly unrealistically with no proper tails but now I literally stumble when I hear certain songs with cymbals involved. Don't know maybe ThieAudio Oracle is the answer, when I EQed my EJ07m to match its frequency response curve I was totally happy. But again probably EQ can solve this problem.

Last edited:
Mar 19, 2022 at 5:15 PM Post #829 of 2,418

You know, acctually I am happy with my set, with all the tweaking done, I guess I am still trying to adapt to a new signature. After I got this cable simillar to Penon Leo Plus (look at its review on Headfi by Dsnuts) it is another level, it doesn't sound like in your head anymore! Listening to Bjork now and wow what a treat! Considering that EJ07m has a good tonality and sounds almost like DD it is no brainer. Still looking forward for HBB review of Canon though.

In future might go for HBB tuning :sweat_smile:

Last edited:
Mar 19, 2022 at 9:18 PM Post #830 of 2,418
Hmm in its stock form, the S12 is neutral bright, not V shaped. You can, however, make it into a V with EQ or mods. Planars take EQing like a champ, and Michael Bruce (Short Bus YouTuber) made it into a basshead IEM with like a +10dB bass shelf without distortion lol.

You are absolutely right in that S12 doesn't have great staging - wide but not 3D. So yeah, perhaps planars won't suit your needs.

Does anyone know if biocellulose DDs are loose in bass compared to, say LCP or beryllium coated? I think DUNU single DDs are intriguing, but I don't know about their transients. Oxygen, for example, has much better impact and note-weight than Aladdin, but not fast.
Funny that you mention biocellulose drivers. I just recently thought about this dd material. I think it's not by chance that renowned speaker manufacturers like Focal, Triangle and others use biocellulose for their mid/bass drivers. It seems that paper drivers have some favourable characteristics compared to other materials. When comparing my Triangle Comete EZ (paper ) vs the Klipsch RP-600M (cerametallic) I'll prefer the Triangle every time.

Now my only bio cellulose IEM is the Serial which I love. To confirm my paper bias I recently order the Penon Orb. A few months ago I was all like beryllium rules the world.

Mar 20, 2022 at 3:17 AM Post #831 of 2,418
Funny that you mention biocellulose drivers. I just recently thought about this dd material. I think it's not by chance that renowned speaker manufacturers like Focal, Triangle and others use biocellulose for their mid/bass drivers. It seems that paper drivers have some favourable characteristics compared to other materials. When comparing my Triangle Comete EZ (paper ) vs the Klipsch RP-600M (cerametallic) I'll prefer the Triangle every time.

Now my only bio cellulose IEM is the Serial which I love. To confirm my paper bias I recently order the Penon Orb. A few months ago I was all like beryllium rules the world.
Oh interesting! Thanks for sharing that info. Mangird Tea uses "bio-titanium" loll, I guess it could be paper coated with titanium powder... Maybe lol.

Unfortunately, I think these fancy driver specs are also a can of worms waiting to be busted just like the KZ debacle. I read somewhere that many cheap DDs claiming to be beryllium is just some beryllium powder sprinkled onto the polymer backing of DD and doesn't even impact the sound. That's why, IMO, companies like Sennheiser and DUNU manage to produce amazing single DD IEMs that stand out from the competition - they have patented DD manufacturing processes that actually make a difference in terms of sound production.

Mar 20, 2022 at 11:47 AM Post #832 of 2,418
How would you describe low end of Canon? Is it one of those IEMs with very well controlled low end which performs when it is called for? ...

... I am looking for IEM with more balanced bass, with a great impact and speed without that constant subwoofer effect which might overpower vocals and other frequencies. Would you describe Canon as that kind of set?
Bingo on both!
Bass quality on Canon surpasses UM MEST JP, and it has a perfect impact and speed - always in line with the song.
Bass performs equality well no matter what I'm listening to - AC/DC, Feist, Haim, Lindsey Sterling or Chuck Mangione.
And those who want more bass than intended, can still get it by using the "100" tuning (I use "000").

I wanted to say that bass is one of Canon's strong points, but I can't - because everything is Canon's strong point, can't really think of any weaknesses.
Perfection. :L3000:

Mar 20, 2022 at 11:55 AM Post #833 of 2,418
I canceled my Canon order. I can imagine it being a pain to sell on if it doesn't completely defeat the Serial for my tastes. Comes in over $100 above what I paid for the Serial. Decided that when I pause and think like a rational person - I'm very very happy with the Serial.
"Better" is the enemy of "good" :beerchug:
On the other hand, I remember how happy I was with Final Heaven IV 8-9 years ago.
It really brought out the music in some of the songs... But If I stuck with it, I would have lost on most of the music I'm listening to today.

..The Yanyins have fantastic bass, I just wish with a tad more impact. They have a sub-bass over mid-bass focus. Lovely warmth, organic decay, great detail and timbre.
I hope you were talking about Aladdin

...EDIT: Plus the Canon would have to somehow pull out better timbre, even though still using Knowles BAs. Serials have timbre covered.
Canon has a perfect timbre, on par with Stax 009.

Mar 20, 2022 at 11:57 AM Post #834 of 2,418
I am also struggling, tried to perfect EJ07m to my tastes, sent it for retuning to improve treble response ($140), bought a better cable silver/palladium/gold ($200) and still not totally happy, though achieved quite good results, got sparkly treble, got more details, improved staging. I guess the reason why I have some issues with bass is that it is elevated to much, with Radius Deep mount tips which reduces the bass I get quite a balanced result, though treble gets to hot, so it is closed circle :sweat_smile:. I have custom built shell so I can't apply any Tanya filters, perhaps might go for 3M micropore tape :sweat_smile:. I guess I will pull a trigger and buy Canon and then make my conclusions, though I am not interested in having multiple IEMs, except if they would be distinct like tribrid and plannar. I guess I will fight this battle to the end, didn't think that it would not be that easy :sob:
Have you tried 07M with Final Type E tips? They made a big difference for me, brought out the missing mid-bass, now the bass is less subwoofer-y.

Mar 20, 2022 at 12:03 PM Post #835 of 2,418
Interesting, would you say you don't hear any BA timbre? I'm certainly noticing BA timbre on the Aladdin after 2-3 weeks of listening to single DD. Doesn't the Canon use the same BAs as the Aladdin?

Mar 20, 2022 at 12:17 PM Post #836 of 2,418
Interesting, would you say you don't hear any BA timbre? I'm certainly noticing BA timbre on the Aladdin after 2-3 weeks of listening to single DD. Doesn't the Canon use the same BAs as the Aladdin?
No BA timbre whatsoever.
Don't know if they use the same exact drivers for mids/treble, plus Canon has an extra driver...
Anyway, it's the tuning of the drivers that determines the sound more than the type of the drivers.

Mar 20, 2022 at 2:31 PM Post #837 of 2,418
"Better" is the enemy of "good" :beerchug:
On the other hand, I remember how happy I was with Final Heaven IV 8-9 years ago.
It really brought out the music in some of the songs... But If I stuck with it, I would have lost on most of the music I'm listening to today.

I hope you were talking about Aladdin

Yes, I was talking about the Aladdin.

Mar 20, 2022 at 3:14 PM Post #838 of 2,418
On the topic of biocellulose drivers - looks like the much praised ZMF Atrium uses this type of driver
Screenshot_20220320-191246.png

Mar 21, 2022 at 1:56 AM Post #840 of 2,418
Have you tried 07M with Final Type E tips? They made a big difference for me, brought out the missing mid-bass, now the bass is less subwoofer-y.
Yes, got them, got clear red ones but I wouldn't say that difference was that substatial, I notice a slight elevation in treble, good bass response but subwoofer effect is there, well perhaps black ones are more that way and clear ones are more balanced, but surely I liked them.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back