Yanyin Discussion thread
Mar 18, 2022 at 5:44 AM Post #811 of 2,418
Thanks for your reply, but why would changing the cable help? Do you mean try to get lucky by finding a cable with2-pin male pins that are slightly wider in diameter to fit the loose female terminals? I'm afraid my Aladdin 2-pin female terminals are loose.
yep, you can try your luck to find cable with bigger diameter

or you can try to find someone who can change 0.78 female pin (it will quite costly since almost the same process as reshell)

Mar 18, 2022 at 5:47 AM Post #812 of 2,418
yep, you can try your luck to find cable with bigger diameter

or you can try to find someone who can change 0.78 female pin (it will quite costly since almost the same process as reshell)
Gotcha. I had a similar idea - trying to bend my current male pins to make them more spaced apart than standard (making a parallelogram instead of parallel lines), but this might damage the male terminals lol. I like your idea better haha. It's interesting that there's such a large variation in 0.78mm pins - I will check my cables with a very precise micrometer.

Mar 18, 2022 at 11:49 AM Post #813 of 2,418
Hello! What source are you using with the Canon? I just saw that it's 10 Ohms...which means it's going to be source-dependent. Not as bas as the Softears Volume (5 Ohms!), but some reviewers have had issues with the Volume because of how sensitive it is.
Mostly using it with O2 on high gain (x3.3).
Lower gain (x1) on O2 sounds less dynamic.

Mar 19, 2022 at 1:03 PM Post #814 of 2,418
Treble is very lively and not grainy at all.
How would you describe low end of Canon? Is it one of those IEMs with very well controlled low end which performs when it is called for? As I mentioned I have Ej07m but still can't get used to its low end it fells sort of bloomy and creaming for attention especially on electronic music where there are prolonged bass effects they sort of cover/overpower other frequencies. I am looking for IEM with more balanced bass, with a great impact and speed without that constant subwoofer effect which might overpower vocals and other frequencies. Would you describe Canon as that kind of set?

Mar 19, 2022 at 1:08 PM Post #815 of 2,418
How would you describe low end of Canon? Is it one of those IEMs with very well controlled low end which performs when it is called for? As I mentioned I have Ej07m but still can't get used to its low end it fells sort of bloomy and creaming for attention especially on electronic music where there are prolonged bass effects they sort of cover/overpower other frequencies. I am looking for IEM with more balanced bass, with a great impact and speed without that constant subwoofer effect which might overpower vocals and other frequencies. Would you describe Canon as that kind of set?
Have you tried planar IEMs? I have the S12, and it has the characteristic fast decay heard in planars. Lacks impact compared to DD, but it's good for busy tracks where you don't want the bass to continue for too long. Also takes EQ very well.

Mar 19, 2022 at 1:21 PM Post #816 of 2,418
Have you tried planar IEMs? I have the S12, and it has the characteristic fast decay heard in planars. Lacks impact compared to DD, but it's good for busy tracks where you don't want the bass to continue for too long. Also takes EQ very well.
Was considering it but impact is important to me, staging is important as well. I had Fiio FH7 and it had that kind of bass, fast impactful and even airy, had many great moments with that IEM. As I heard S12 has slightly recessed mids and is quite V shapped, I prefer more balance tuning. Surely perhaps S12 could be great in the low frequencies but it couldn't compete in other departments. Or would you say that I am wrong about it? Never tried plannar before.

Mar 19, 2022 at 1:46 PM Post #817 of 2,418
Was considering it but impact is important to me, staging is important as well. I had Fiio FH7 and it had that kind of bass, fast impactful and even airy, had many great moments with that IEM. As I heard S12 has slightly recessed mids and is quite V shapped, I prefer more balance tuning. Surely perhaps S12 could be great in the low frequencies but it couldn't compete in other departments. Or would you say that I am wrong about it? Never tried plannar before.
Hmm in its stock form, the S12 is neutral bright, not V shaped. You can, however, make it into a V with EQ or mods. Planars take EQing like a champ, and Michael Bruce (Short Bus YouTuber) made it into a basshead IEM with like a +10dB bass shelf without distortion lol.

You are absolutely right in that S12 doesn't have great staging - wide but not 3D. So yeah, perhaps planars won't suit your needs.

Does anyone know if biocellulose DDs are loose in bass compared to, say LCP or beryllium coated? I think DUNU single DDs are intriguing, but I don't know about their transients. Oxygen, for example, has much better impact and note-weight than Aladdin, but not fast.

Last edited:
Mar 19, 2022 at 2:11 PM Post #818 of 2,418
Hmm in its stock form, the S12 is neutral bright, not V shaped. You can, however, make it into a V with EQ or mods. Planars take EQing like a champ, and Michael Bruce (Short Bus YouTuber) made it into a basshead IEM with like a +10dB bass shelf without distortion lol.

You are absolutely right in that S12 doesn't have great staging - wide but not 3D. So yeah, perhaps planars won't suit your needs.

Does anyone know if biocellulose DDs are loose in bass compared to, say LCP or beryllium coated? I think DUNU single DDs are intriguing, but I don't know about their transients. Oxygen, for example, has much better impact and note-weight than Aladdin, but not fast.
Perhaps @BenF can give you some sort of answer. But I do have some experience with beryllium IEMS, they are worth of checking out, my Fiio FH7 had a beryllium coated driver so that is where my affection for it is coming from, also I have Periodic audio Be - an IEM with pure beryllium DD, I can say that it is more detailed than EJ07m and has a faster bass response, though it has a forward mids signature, is pretty bright, doesn't have a great soundstage and has basic looks. From my experience beryllium IEMs is really worth of attention, of course implementation matters. I wonder how Fiio FD7 with a pure beryllium DD compares to Oxygen or Olina.

Last edited:
Mar 19, 2022 at 2:21 PM Post #819 of 2,418

By the way what is your experience with Yanyin Aladin? How would you describe its bass? As far as I know Canon has the same driver only with better impact. Are you fan of that bio DD? Is it close to S12 speed?

Mar 19, 2022 at 2:33 PM Post #820 of 2,418
By the way what is your experience with Yanyin Aladin? How would you describe its bass? As far as I know Canon has the same driver only with better impact. Are you fan of that bio DD? Is it close to S12 speed?
If you asked me two weeks ago, before I spent all my time listening to the Oxygen and Olina for a review, I would've said that the Aladdin is a fantastic all-rounder, ample sub-bass, nice forward mids (great for vocals), and good staging and imaging. Now that my brain is burned in with the single DD sound signature, however, I would add that I am hearing some BA timbre. Funny how the brain works, huh.

In terms of bass: no, the Aladdin has a loose bass, and feels slower than S12 (and the Olina), and less impact than the O2. I like it for most genres because it gives a relaxed sound to the music (e.g., jazz, male vocals, cello all sound good). FYI, I bought my O2 in Nov 2021, and appears to be warmer than older O2s. Long story short, seems probable that there was a silent revision.

Mar 19, 2022 at 2:36 PM Post #821 of 2,418
I canceled my Canon order. I can imagine it being a pain to sell on if it doesn't completely defeat the Serial for my tastes. Comes in over $100 above what I paid for the Serial. Decided that when I pause and think like a rational person - I'm very very happy with the Serial.

To be honest since trying it on high gain as well as with careful tip selection... I could almost settle with the Fan and save a fortune. Just a little too much bass fatigue over longer listening sessions though. The Serial's tuning and detail is overall more "mature" to use a lazy phrase.

Re: biocelluose bass - I first encountered it in the Mofasest Trio, and it was the one take away I had from that set - that I loved how it did bass. The Yanyins have fantastic bass, I just wish with a tad more impact. They have a sub-bass over mid-bass focus. Lovely warmth, organic decay, great detail and timbre. Guess what material the Serials use for their low end? Biocellulose. Checks the impact box for me as well.

EDIT: Plus the Canon would have to somehow pull out better timbre, even though still using Knowles BAs. Serials have timbre covered.

Last edited:
Mar 19, 2022 at 3:14 PM Post #822 of 2,418
If you asked me two weeks ago, before I spent all my time listening to the Oxygen and Olina for a review, I would've said that the Aladdin is a fantastic all-rounder, ample sub-bass, nice forward mids (great for vocals), and good staging and imaging. Now that my brain is burned in with the single DD sound signature, however, I would add that I am hearing some BA timbre. Funny how the brain works, huh.

In terms of bass: no, the Aladdin has a loose bass, and feels slower than S12 (and the Olina), and less impact than the O2. I like it for most genres because it gives a relaxed sound to the music (e.g., jazz, male vocals, cello all sound good). FYI, I bought my O2 in Nov 2021, and appears to be warmer than older O2s. Long story short, seems probable that there was a silent revision.
Do you prefer Olina over Aladin?

Mar 19, 2022 at 3:16 PM Post #823 of 2,418
Do you prefer Olina over Aladin?
No, but it made me realise that I need to either spend more to get a hybrid/tribrid with better timbre, or stick with DD IEMs :sweat_smile:

Mar 19, 2022 at 3:36 PM Post #824 of 2,418
No, but it made me realise that I need to either spend more to get a hybrid/tribrid with better timbre, or stick with DD IEMs :sweat_smile:
I am also struggling, tried to perfect EJ07m to my tastes, sent it for retuning to improve treble response ($140), bought a better cable silver/palladium/gold ($200) and still not totally happy, though achieved quite good results, got sparkly treble, got more details, improved staging. I guess the reason why I have some issues with bass is that it is elevated to much, with Radius Deep mount tips which reduces the bass I get quite a balanced result, though treble gets to hot, so it is closed circle :sweat_smile:. I have custom built shell so I can't apply any Tanya filters, perhaps might go for 3M micropore tape :sweat_smile:. I guess I will pull a trigger and buy Canon and then make my conclusions, though I am not interested in having multiple IEMs, except if they would be distinct like tribrid and plannar. I guess I will fight this battle to the end, didn't think that it would not be that easy :sob:

Last edited:
Mar 19, 2022 at 3:50 PM Post #825 of 2,418
I am also struggling, tried to perfect EJ07m to my tastes, sent it for retuning to improve treble response ($140), bought a better cable silver/palladium/gold ($200) and still not totally happy, though achieved quite good results, got sparkly treble, got more details, improved staging. I guess the reason why I have some issues with bass is that it is elevated to much, with Radius Deep mount tips which reduces the bass I get quite a balanced result, though treble gets to hot, so it is closed circle :sweat_smile:. I have custom built shell so I can't apply any Tanya filters, perhaps might go for 3M micropore tape :sweat_smile:. I guess I will pull a trigger and buy Canon and them make my conclusions, though I am not interested in having multiple IEMs, except if they would be distinct like tribrid and plannar. I guess I will fight this battle to the end, didn't think that it would not be that easy :sob:
Oh dear, that is a bit of a catch-22! Olina and Dark Magician responded to front vent taping with a boost in the bass without any taming in the treble. Not sure how a tribrid will respond...also, does EJ07m have two vents per shell?

It's interesting you bring up the EJ07m - I have that in mind as my endgame. Don't know if I'd mind a slight treble roll off as much as timbre and staging.

Still waiting on HBB to review the Canon...he has them in the line-up!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back