Yanyin Discussion thread
Aug 14, 2021 at 3:20 PM Post #271 of 2,418
You should start a Squig.link so we can stop pestering you!

But seriously you’re doing the community a great service.

Back on topic, this is about what I expected given user feedback on the Aladdin so far… similar to Penon sound but with a more neutral midrange. Very very tempting!
Your wish might come true. :smirk:

Aug 14, 2021 at 3:40 PM Post #272 of 2,418
Aladdin vs. IER-Z1R Frequency Response

z1r.jpg

As you can see in above graph, put 2dBs of low shelf boost @125Hz to sample the Z1R type of bass.
Quite intriguing that the bass of Aladdin almost follow the bass of Z1R till 250 Hz, and Z1R has always been praised for its bass...so may be I do not have much to worry about regarding Aladdin's bass. Although I think Z1R bass quantity with respect to midrange is more than Aladdin, right?

Aug 14, 2021 at 3:43 PM Post #273 of 2,418
Quite intriguing that the bass of Aladdin almost follow the bass of Z1R till 250 Hz, and Z1R has always been praised for its bass...so may be I do not have much to worry about regarding Aladdin's bass. Although I think Z1R bass quantity with respect to midrange is more than Aladdin, right?
Yes.

Aug 14, 2021 at 4:22 PM Post #274 of 2,418
CA248B73-D9CC-4F9D-9599-8362E2E0ADEF.png

Aladdin courtesy of @RikudouGoku and @MRSallee cheers!

4D25EC6B-62A4-4980-BE3B-0E1BC6DC0233.png

@Precogvision target

ordered the new IEC711 coupler as mine is under reporting few values.

Last edited:
Aug 14, 2021 at 4:33 PM Post #275 of 2,418
You can find the graph here:
https://rg.squig.link/?share=RikudouGoku_Target
1628973184724.png

A temporary solution until he gets his own db.

EDIT: Do remember to take his graphs on my db with a grain of salt due to different measurement setups and different factors like that.

Last edited:
Aug 14, 2021 at 5:29 PM Post #276 of 2,418
Midbass is present in the Aladdin. However the impact is no where near as hard hitting as the Globe. The impact is what I would consider on the softer side, but its tastefully tuned to match and compliment the rest of the range. It doesn't obscure either the lower mids or the subbass. Revealing the deeper textures lower down and riding those into an open midrange. It is incredibly organic in its characteristics. It can reproduce bass instruments with great accuracy. Listening to tabla and other percussive instruments is a joy.

The Globes bass is indulgent, quicker, slightly less textured with greater density and ultimately, I think, more suited for synthetic tones and dynamism.

I'll be going deeper into this comparison with my review (of the Globe). Stay tuned!

Last edited:
Aug 14, 2021 at 9:25 PM Post #280 of 2,418
This evening doing some listening I was more sensitive to treble in the mix than I had been yesterday. Could just be the kind of day I've had.

Either way, after quickly bopping back to the Lokahi and appreciating its more laid back take, I did the common sense thing and put some tips on the Aladdin that should theoretically tame treble (Symbio W, a newcomer to my collection).

Trying to remember if yesterday I was using Final E tips (also treble tamers) or stock. I used both just not sure now which I used longer.

Worthy of note/confirmation -- to my eyes the six pairs that come with the Aladdin are actually 6 very slightly different sizes (larger in right column) rather than a straight duplicate set.

Anyway the tip change did the trick, went back to enjoying them even more than the Lokahi's.

Queen - The Show Must Go On was remarkable.

The next track that played would be a strong one for me to recommend -- Neil Young - I Believe In You

I'm familiar with it as it was in my family's record collection growing up besides listening to it digitally since. I truly could imagine the size of the studio, and heard all kinds of details in how the song was put together, it was a whole new experience. Yet very human, it's not like I was force fed an artificial level of details or grains of static, but I could hear more of the details I naturally would have done by ear if seated with them during the session.

That was followed by Radiohead - I Might Be Wrong. Which was enveloping from the first large swell onward. Very satisfying percussion.

I get a very good sense of space and direction, without any gimmicky level of soundstage, which I've experienced before (a single singer songwriter's guitar being spread all around your head for example).

Intimacy vs distance is on point for me.

Last edited:
Aug 15, 2021 at 9:37 AM Post #281 of 2,418
This evening doing some listening I was more sensitive to treble in the mix than I had been yesterday. Could just be the kind of day I've had.

Either way, after quickly bopping back to the Lokahi and appreciating its more laid back take, I did the common sense thing and put some tips on the Aladdin that should theoretically tame treble (Symbio W, a newcomer to my collection).

Trying to remember if yesterday I was using Final E tips (also treble tamers) or stock. I used both just not sure now which I used longer.

Worthy of note/confirmation -- to my eyes the six pairs that come with the Aladdin are actually 6 very slightly different sizes (larger in right column) rather than a straight duplicate set.

Anyway the tip change did the trick, went back to enjoying them even more than the Lokahi's.

Queen - The Show Must Go On was remarkable.

The next track that played would be a strong one for me to recommend -- Neil Young - I Believe In You

I'm familiar with it as it was in my family's record collection growing up besides listening to it digitally since. I truly could imagine the size of the studio, and heard all kinds of details in how the song was put together, it was a whole new experience. Yet very human, it's not like I was force fed an artificial level of details or grains of static, but I could hear more of the details I naturally would have done by ear if seated with them during the session.

Intimacy vs distance is on point for me.

One of my first batch of vinyls. I'm still convinced this is the very best album Young ever made. Substance 5/5, Sonics 5/5.
Albeit I love Cortez, Down by the river. etc. etc, I could play the entire album w/o pressing fwd and the production on this album is simply superb...
1629034347678.png

Aug 15, 2021 at 4:40 PM Post #283 of 2,418

I am liking the stock eartips more and more.

Stock eartips are my choice for these aswell now. Perfect balance!

Aug 16, 2021 at 1:01 AM Post #285 of 2,418
@Ace Bee have you ordered Aladdin balanced version from Penon?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back