Yanyin Discussion thread
Nov 4, 2023 at 6:14 AM Post #2,401 of 2,418
This may sound like a silly question but which directions are the switches set for the canon II in the factory? I thought it was 1 on 2 off, but now I’m doubting it was 1 off 2 on? Or does it not make a difference at all? Basically just want to get it set the same way as when I got it
Thanks!
10 and 01 graph identically. My measurements graphs: https://nk-tran.com/iegems-graphtool/?share=Canon_2_01,Canon_2_10

Essentially, more switches turning on = more bass

Nov 5, 2023 at 1:20 PM Post #2,403 of 2,418
Yeah for me the switches are just for EDM and rap stuff, if you really wanna feel like you're in the club :) that kind of bass impact level, otherwise 00 all day
I actually prefer it the way it came delivered! Maybe just my mind playing tricks on me. I have some empire ears if I want to explore the highs, this gives me some bass to play around with!

Nov 5, 2023 at 8:24 PM Post #2,404 of 2,418
I actually prefer it the way it came delivered! Maybe just my mind playing tricks on me. I have some empire ears if I want to explore the highs, this gives me some bass to play around with!
It's normal for everyone to have different preferences, and indeed even physically hear the same set differently (ear canal anatomy, head shape which does not directly affect IEM acoustics but affects how you hear everyday sounds which in turn affects how you perceive the same sound going directly into your ears in comparison, etc.)

Btw, as the Yanyin rep, can I ask: what new products would people here be hoping for?

In terms of features, tuning, driver configuration, etc.

Last edited:
HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Nov 5, 2023 at 10:06 PM Post #2,405 of 2,418
I'm more or less a Yanyin fan:
- I loved the Aladdin hugely, it was my EDC for a good stretch
- I think the Canon is a great IEM too (midbass too gentle/lacked impact, but otherwise a fantastic listen with several good possible tunings
- Moonlight was good -- just too mids forward for me

But if I had a request, it'd be that you keep doing what you're doing - but keep the price competitive with the rest of the market.

Take the Canon II for example, no way I'll be trying that out any time soon as an iteration on an earlier model and a 1+4 hybrid... I don't think anyone else is asking near $400 for that kind of tech regardless of tuning prowess. It's hard to justify based on R&D or components, meanwhile you have IEMs like the DTE500 for $60 more. I realize people may prefer the sound of one to the other regardless of tech. I prefer the 3DD Serial to just about any tribrid I have heard (and like most of Penon's line up, even that is asking a bit much as far as components involved). But personal taste aside, the cost of an IEM has to be justified or people just won't take the plunge.

It also hurts resale, as even if someone with faith in the brand finally talks themselves into laying out the cash, it's a different story when trying to sell to other hobbyists. The Canon OG rarely goes for over $200 second hand, and can hover at that price for weeks without a taker - and that still sells for $350 new. There seems to be a mismatch of what is charged for them and what people value them at or are willing to spend money on.

Nov 6, 2023 at 2:13 AM Post #2,406 of 2,418
Btw, as the Yanyin rep, can I ask: what new products would people here be hoping for?

Oh, I don’t even know... I listened to Yanyin Canon 2 for a very long time and it’s literally love, I like everything about them, very pleasant presentation that doesn’t tire, incredibly textured and massive bass complemented by weighty and transparent mids without any extra bright accent, and highs frequencies are like the icing on the cake, they don’t go into rigorous analytics, but if necessary they can show you the nuances in the music, and the rest of the time they pleasantly present various after-sounds from reverberation with accuracy and detail,they do not pursue the goal of attracting a lot of attention to themselves, they are just neatly good and complementing the overall picture in music with the right tone, I literally can use them any day and will always be happy to listen...

Last edited:
Nov 7, 2023 at 6:57 AM Post #2,407 of 2,418
It's normal for everyone to have different preferences, and indeed even physically hear the same set differently (ear canal anatomy, head shape which does not directly affect IEM acoustics but affects how you hear everyday sounds which in turn affects how you perceive the same sound going directly into your ears in comparison, etc.)

1) OG Canon as Bluetooth IEMs - no ANC/transparency, just the same great sound in wireless form. APTX Adaptive support is a must.
2) OG Canon with slightly weightier/thicker notes
3) OG Canon without switches in 2 versions - audiophile (same as "000") and bassy (same as "100"). Or just keep the first switch, so people can switch between two configurations.

Last edited:
Nov 19, 2023 at 3:19 PM Post #2,408 of 2,418
Anybody tried the updated Moonlight 2023 version already :thinking:
The original one was a great IEM for sure, while idk if it was the tuning a tad to analytically or based on the driver setup, that in some situations the music was somehow feeling bloodless - without soul ?

Nov 19, 2023 at 3:46 PM Post #2,409 of 2,418

Maybe an alternative to Canon 2 with stronger resolution and soundstage imaging? I remember there is a yanyin moonlight or something that has good reviews, but those are way too high-end to blind-buy.

I do have a couple issues to nitpick about the Canon 2. Will share a detailed review in a week or so.

Nov 21, 2023 at 8:27 AM Post #2,410 of 2,418
In case any European customers were interested I got Moonlight for sale in classifieds, feel free to PM and ask for anything. Fantastic IEMs in every regard - I am probably the third person here who preferred it over Mest MKII and some people also claim they are just as good as Monarch MKII but cheaper. That being said I always choose stereo setup when I got the chance so these weren't being used often lately.

Nov 21, 2023 at 12:24 PM Post #2,411 of 2,418
In case any European customers were interested I got Moonlight for sale in classifieds, feel free to PM and ask for anything. Fantastic IEMs in every regard - I am probably the third person here who preferred it over Mest MKII and some people also claim they are just as good as Monarch MKII but cheaper. That being said I always choose stereo setup when I got the chance so these weren't being used often lately.
That's a great price, would have grabbed if my Canon II wasn't so new still :)

Nov 26, 2023 at 5:40 AM Post #2,414 of 2,418
Howdy folks,

My review of Yanyin Canon 2 is online on head-fi and my blog. You can also find the YouTube version here:

In conclusion, Yanyin has done quite a few things right with Canon 2. I particularly enjoy the muscular presentation that works well with both modern commercial music and classical recordings. Its warm tonality is pleasant without veering into muffled or muddy territory. The switches on the IEM contribute meaningfully to sound adjustments. The midrange also stands out with commendable texture and detail.

While the Canon2 IEM has some great qualities, it does show a bit of hollowness in the midrange with certain recordings. For me, I also wish that this IEM has a sharper separation and better note definition.

So, should you get Canon 2?

If you haven’t got a competent IEM in the level and price bracket of Canon 2, this IEM is a worthy candidate for your collection. However, if you already have some competent IEMs, Canon2 does not offer many compelling reasons. In many ways, Canon 2 highlights the challenge of the current hyper-competitive IEM market. Don’t get me wrong, Canon 2 is a good IEM. But being good in a market filled with good options is a tricky position to be.

Absolute Sonic Quality Rating: 3.5 (Very Good)

Bias Score: 3 (I’m lukewarm about this IEM)

Canon2_00020.jpg

Updated: November 26, 2023

Jan 4, 2024 at 2:33 PM Post #2,415 of 2,418
Hey guys! A very happy new year to all! Hope you all had a great holiday + NYE and have an even better 2024!

Well, I've come out of hibernation for an article which has been a long time in the making. This one's a review of two Yanyin Audio IEMs under my multi-product Brand Spotlight review series - their flagship, Moonlight Ultra (1DD+4BA+4EST), and their sub-$500 offering Canon II (1DD+4BA). They both are very capable IEMs with the Canon II being one of the nicest VFM IEMs in the market at the moment, IMO. Cheers!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back