Yamaha PRO Headphones.
Feb 12, 2013 at 3:02 PM Post #167 of 531
Quote:
These are incredible headphones.

A comparison to the MDR-1R? (Sound signature/quality,comfort)

Are they easy to drive straight out of an ipod?

Feb 12, 2013 at 3:34 PM Post #168 of 531
Could these become collectors items? :wink:

Feb 12, 2013 at 8:21 PM Post #171 of 531
There's no question in my mind that they designed these to capitalize on the popularity of the Beats line. If Beats doesn't defend their patents then they will lose them and every one and their brother will be making Beats knockoffs. You may not agree with it, but that's how patents work. 

Feb 12, 2013 at 9:39 PM Post #172 of 531
A comparison to the MDR-1R? (Sound signature/quality,comfort)

Are they easy to drive straight out of an ipod?

Very easy to drive from an iPod. Compared to the MDR-1R, SQ-wise to my ears, the PRO 500 is an overall upgrade and sounds better than any headphone I have ever heard. The 1R tonally is warmer especially in the mids, very much like a wooden headphone. The 500 has more impactful bass and more detailed as well. All the instruments have more body and sound more accurate. The mids and treble are perfectly in line with the bass to my ears and the highs sound crisp and clear without ever sounding strident. The 500 sounds more coherent to my ears and just sounds 'right.' I loved the 1R while still having them but when I first heard the 500 (on a train coming back from work) I instantly fell in love with the natural sound and ambience and knew this was the headphone I was looking for. To me, it's not just a headphone - its an audio experience and this is the first headphone that I like so much that I'll most likely write up a formal review. Drums, strings, vocals, etc. never sounded better, clearer and overall more natural than any headphone I owned before. The imaging is fantastic as well as the layering and detail. The soundstage is just as wide as the 1Rs to my ears with more depth. Sometimes I felt vocals were slightly too warm on the 1R but on these they sound just right.

As for comfort, the 1R takes the crown in that regard. Definitely lighter and more comfortable and I'll miss the style of the headphone as well since I prefer a more head-conforming headband. The PRO 500 feels more solid and is a little bigger and slightly heavier. Ear cups are on the slightly small side as well and sometimes when I move my head around I can slightly feel my left ear touching the driver. However all these issues are not really all that bad. I'm not even the biggest fan of the style (wish they were more conservative-looking I guess) but its growing on me - they don't look as gaudy to me as Beats. They feel and look more elegant. Anyway, in the end they will be keepers for life - the SQ is just too good and I give a lot of props to Yamaha for tuning such a great-sounding headphone. With other headphones, I'd be thinking about the characteristics of that headphone vs. other headphones - what sounds right, what doesn't sound right. It would bug me because music should sound one way IMO and that should be natural no matter what genre. I never thought I would find a portable that sounds as close to natural as this one and I'm glad I went out on a limb purchasing this can. When I listen to these, I stop thinking about other cans and just enjoy my music, since I don't feel anything is missing in the music. It's all there.

This headphone might not meet everyone's preferences but this is my personal experience so far. Every time I put this headphone on, I'm blown away and feel very satisfied with my purchase, even though it's the most I've spent on one headphone. I feel very lucky to have them. Anyway these are just one person's impressions and as is on HF, I'm sure everyone will have different opinions. Take this with a grain of salt. :)

Feb 12, 2013 at 9:49 PM Post #173 of 531
Quote:
Very easy to drive from an iPod. Compared to the MDR-1R, SQ-wise to my ears, the PRO 500 is an overall upgrade and sounds better than any headphone I have ever heard. The 1R tonally is warmer especially in the mids, very much like a wooden headphone. The 500 has more impactful bass and more detailed as well. All the instruments have more body and sound more accurate. The mids and treble are perfectly in line with the bass to my ears and the highs sound crisp and clear without ever sounding strident. The 500 sounds more coherent to my ears and just sounds 'right.' I loved the 1R while still having them but when I first heard the 500 (on a train coming back from work) I instantly fell in love with the natural sound and ambience and knew this was the headphone I was looking for. To me, it's not just a headphone - its an audio experience and this is the first headphone that I like so much that I'll most likely write up a formal review. Drums, strings, vocals, etc. never sounded better, clearer and overall more natural than any headphone I owned before. The imaging is fantastic as well as the layering and detail. The soundstage is just as wide as the 1Rs to my ears with more depth. Sometimes I felt vocals were slightly too warm on the 1R but on these they sound just right.

As for comfort, the 1R takes the crown in that regard. Definitely lighter and more comfortable and I'll miss the style of the headphone as well since I prefer a more head-conforming headband. The PRO 500 feels more solid and is a little bigger and slightly heavier. Ear cups are on the slightly small side as well and sometimes when I move my head around I can slightly feel my left ear touching the driver. However all these issues are not really all that bad. I'm not even the biggest fan of the style (wish they were more conservative-looking I guess) but its growing on me - they don't look as gaudy to me as Beats. They feel and look more elegant. Anyway, in the end they will be keepers for life - the SQ is just too good and I give a lot of props to Yamaha for tuning such a great-sounding headphone. With other headphones, I'd be thinking about the characteristics of that headphone vs. other headphones - what sounds right, what doesn't sound right. It would bug me because music should sound one way IMO and that should be natural no matter what genre. I never thought I would find a portable that sounds as close to natural as this one and I'm glad I went out on a limb purchasing this can. When I listen to these, I stop thinking about other cans and just enjoy my music, since I don't feel anything is missing in the music. It's all there.

This headphone might not meet everyone's preferences but this is my personal experience so far. Every time I put this headphone on, I'm blown away and feel very satisfied with my purchase, even though it's the most I've spent on one headphone. I feel very lucky to have them. Anyway these are just one person's impressions and as is on HF, I'm sure everyone will have different opinions. Take this with a grain of salt.
smily_headphones1.gif

Cant wait for your full review. In the mean time this is going on the front page.

BTW, hows the sub-bass on these?

Feb 12, 2013 at 9:57 PM Post #174 of 531
I feel they have pretty good, detailed extension - nothing lacking to my ears. There's a really good balance all-around with the Yamahas from top to bottom and I can enjoy just about any genre with them. It's possible on some of the more current pop song that bass can be a bit much to anyone who prefers something more neutral (a la K550, DT1350, etc.) but I don't have a problem with it and don't feel it enroaches the mids at all.

Feb 13, 2013 at 7:46 AM Post #177 of 531
Feb 13, 2013 at 8:00 AM Post #178 of 531
Quote:
As for comfort, the 1R takes the crown in that regard. Definitely lighter and more comfortable and I'll miss the style of the headphone as well since I prefer a more head-conforming headband. The PRO 500 feels more solid and is a little bigger and slightly heavier. Ear cups are on the slightly small side as well and sometimes when I move my head around I can slightly feel my left ear touching the driver. However all these issues are not really all that bad. I'm not even the biggest fan of the style (wish they were more conservative-looking I guess) but its growing on me - they don't look as gaudy to me as Beats. They feel and look more elegant....

So I received these yesterday.
Well packed, very high quality materials, love the carrying case (it looks like it can withstand a bit of abuse) and the accessories are Ok. Took out the headphones... HOLY SH@#*(!!! So huge!! (yes, I find them bigger than even the Beats they are imitating!!!!) I don't really mind that though, but when I put them on, I looked like a giant alien! The headband is part of the problem I guess, since it's so stiff and it doesn't conform to your head, it looks and feels weird. Ear cups/earpads are TINY! Compared them side by side to my Ultrasone Signature Pros and my Mad Dogs, no contest. This in turn makes the headphones a bit uncomfortable to me sadly...

Sound is Ok... but will not comment yet until I have had more time with them (I received the Alpha Pads for the Mad Dogs yesterday so I will probably work with those first). First impressions, not bad actually. I feel everything is "there" but I haven't gone through my usual tracks so no verdict yet. I have to mention though, I DID find the bass a bit boomy, but again, I will reserve my comments for later on during the week.

As of now though, based on comfort level and looks, they are NOT keepers...

Feb 13, 2013 at 8:46 AM Post #179 of 531
Looking forward to your impressions and yes, for me it was quite a jump comfort-wise and style-wise, going from the 1R to the 500. However I've gotten used to those aspects because of the SQ. When I first put them on, it feels a bit awkward but eventually I get used to them as it conforms to my head and ears. I appreciate that alien comment - that's how I felt the first time I looked in the mirror lol but now I think they look fine - just slightly bigger than what I'm used to.

@john, any time!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back