Yamaha PRO Headphones.
Feb 14, 2013 at 3:36 PM Post #197 of 531
Quote:
Great review putting this on the front page if you don't mind. How would you compare the sub bass of these to the d600?

I actually think the Yamahas have a bit less sub-bass and a bit more mid-bass (again this is all from memory). Should run a test though (tone test) as I haven't done that yet. The bass quality I feel is better on the Pro 500s, although a bit "boomy", it doesn't mess most of the midrange (unlike the D600s which have recessed mids and "weirdo" highs! lol). But bass quality on both is Ok (I still feel Signature Pro, Mad Dogs and M100s bass is tighter.)

Feb 14, 2013 at 4:57 PM Post #198 of 531
Nice impressions gelocks!!! And I feel you on the headband - mine is not extended at all as I have a small head (and happen to be female). These just fit. I was really surprised though at how big and awkward they were the first time I put them on and looked in the mirror. Once I heard the sound though, I was in audio heaven and now I have gotten used to the way they look. Can't wait to compare these to the M-100 sometime and I hope one day to try the Sig Pro. I had a feeling the 500s had more extended highs than the M-100, thanks for the detailed comparisons.

Feb 14, 2013 at 7:34 PM Post #200 of 531
Quote:
Thanks for the comparison gelocks, if I were to upgrade to the Signature Pro's would I be giving up much low end impact and presence for hip hop and electronic music?

If you are concerned about giving up low end impact, you may want to look at the Signature DJ as an alternative- sounds just as good with bigger bass and soundstage.

Feb 14, 2013 at 8:14 PM Post #201 of 531
Quote:
Thanks for the comparison gelocks, if I were to upgrade to the Signature Pro's would I be giving up much low end impact and presence for hip hop and electronic music?

Quote:
If you are concerned about giving up low end impact, you may want to look at the Signature DJ as an alternative- sounds just as good with bigger bass and soundstage.

What Craigster said! :wink:
I believe that the Signature Pro do have a GOOD amount of bass, especially compared to other non-basshead headphones. But if you want even more amount and impact, the Sig DJs should be an excellent choice!

Still, if you don't want to spend that kind of money, and don't mind a less detailed but huge bass giving headphones, the Yamahas should fit the bill!

Feb 14, 2013 at 8:46 PM Post #203 of 531
Good luck! :wink:

P.S. Just posted on the "review" section of the site. Added a couple of pictures including the ones with the earpad sizes against the MDs and Sig Pros. http://www.head-fi.org/products/yamaha-pro-500/reviews/8455

Feb 14, 2013 at 9:07 PM Post #204 of 531
Quote:
Ok, so I took time to write a couple of things regarding these guys. This is mostly "preliminary" as I'm one of those that feel sound signature grows once you give a lot of listening time to gear. Anyway, mini review.

Pros: Impactful sound, bass extension and impact is present, feels sturdy, good accessories.
Cons: Bass overpowers lower mids (quantity is too much), puts pressure on top of the head, they are HUGE!

Great review. I'm having a similar experience and think that the mids are definitely recessed. The most noticeable was when the bass overpowered the lyrics in most of the songs I've listened to. Overall, though, the sound is very rich and this pair of headphones is a very fun listen. I'm also going to echo the fact that they're fairly uncomfortable so far. Most days I'm wearing HD598s and the Pro 500s don't even come close in terms of comfort. Your review actually makes me want to try the Mad Dogs next. 

Feb 14, 2013 at 9:16 PM Post #205 of 531
Quote:
Great review. I'm having a similar experience and think that the mids are definitely recessed. The most noticeable was when the bass overpowered the lyrics in most of the songs I've listened to. Overall, though, the sound is very rich and this pair of headphones is a very fun listen. I'm also going to echo the fact that they're fairly uncomfortable so far. Most days I'm wearing HD598s and the Pro 500s don't even come close in terms of comfort. Your review actually makes me want to try the Mad Dogs next. 

Do they sound analytical at all? Because what you're describing basically goes against everything that I've read about them. Previous people in this thread have said they separate well, image well, and are very accurate both in tonality and detail. Basically the opposite of "fun" headphones.

Feb 14, 2013 at 9:32 PM Post #206 of 531
Quote:

I have come to the conclusion that recessed mids are not necessarily a negative, but more of a preference.  I was surprised how fatiguing I felt the forward mids on the MDR-1R can be.  Not as bad as harsh treble, but a close second.  It was almost as if the vocalist was violating my personal space; as if they were singing too close.  I think the new batch of closed portables- PRO 500, M-100, Signature DJ have really done their homework to nail down the sound signature that seems to have the most universal appeal and balance with current music as well as a variety of genres.

Feb 14, 2013 at 10:05 PM Post #207 of 531
Quote:
Do they sound analytical at all? Because what you're describing basically goes against everything that I've read about them. Previous people in this thread have said they separate well, image well, and are very accurate both in tonality and detail. Basically the opposite of "fun" headphones.

Ermmm... They DO separate well, image well and provide enough clarity and details... and they are Fun! Why do YOU think this description is the opposite of fun? If there's no clarity no real sound reproduction, how could anyone find that fun!? I find the Signature Pros fun, I find the Mad Dogs fun (and they are mostly neutral with dark/warm tonality), etc.

If you want "analytical", you might try the KRK 8400s, AKGs 701, Shure SRH940s, etc.

Feb 14, 2013 at 10:09 PM Post #208 of 531
Quote:

Definitely, the HD598s (which I also have and will probably let go soon since I sold the HD600s last week) are SUPER comfy compared to the Pro 500s.

And Oh hell yeah, EVERYONE should try the Mad Dogs (or maybe even the Paradox by LFF... possibly my next purchase...).
Some thoughts on the Mad Dogs and a couple of the headphones I mentioned on this review:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/633696/the-mad-dog-appreciation-thread#post_8957108

Feb 14, 2013 at 10:12 PM Post #209 of 531
Quote:
Quote:

Ermmm... They DO separate well, image well and provide enough clarity and details... and they are Fun! Why do YOU think this description is the opposite of fun? If there's no clarity no real sound reproduction, how could anyone find that fun!? I find the Signature Pros fun, I find the Mad Dogs fun (and they are mostly neutral with dark/warm tonality), etc.

If you want "analytical", you might try the KRK 8400s, AKGs 701, Shure SRH940s, etc.

Because being on headfi long enough, certain words have certain connotations. And I've never heard of a "fun" headphone with bloated bass and recessed midrange ever be described as also having clarity, detail, and tonal accuracy. It usually means cloudiness and a muddy colored sound. I wasn't trying to argue against it. Just trying to nail the sound down before I spend 4 bills.

Feb 14, 2013 at 10:35 PM Post #210 of 531
Hey guys so question here. I saw earlier that some of you briefly compared this to the PSB M4U1 (I'm assuming the U2 is the same thing just with noise canceling and amping options?). I was just curious how do these two compare more in depth. They both seem to be in the same price range. And form what I've read they are both fairly neutral. And they both seem to have a somewhat stylized approach, just in terms of build. 

What do you guys think? How do the sigs stack up? Builds? And i suppose, at least for my situation, hows the portability factor compare? 

Thanks so much.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back