Yamaha EPH-100
Nov 4, 2012 at 7:27 AM Post #2,957 of 4,690
Hi guys,

I've had the EPH-100's for more than 8 months now and I think they are brilliant. However I've had some issues with them which are making me consider getting different earphones. As many have mentioned here my EPH-100's have the moisture caused sound problem as well. I also find that they seem to fall out of my ears quite often while walking. Thus I would like to know what alternative earphones there are that sound as good as the Yamaha's.

I've currently got the Klipsch S4, Atrio MG7 and Sound Magic E30, and I've previously owned the Klipsch X10, JVC FXT90 and UE TF10. So basically I'd like some recommendation besides those mentioned.

Thanks

Nov 4, 2012 at 7:50 AM Post #2,958 of 4,690
Quote:
Hi guys,

I've had the EPH-100's for more than 8 months now and I think they are brilliant. However I've had some issues with them which are making me consider getting different earphones. As many have mentioned here my EPH-100's have the moisture caused sound problem as well. I also find that they seem to fall out of my ears quite often while walking. Thus I would like to know what alternative earphones there are that sound as good as the Yamaha's.

I've currently got the Klipsch S4, Atrio MG7 and Sound Magic E30, and I've previously owned the Klipsch X10, JVC FXT90 and UE TF10. So basically I'd like some recommendation besides those mentioned.

Thanks

If you're looking to retain a similar, but better, sound check out the Sony XBA-3. It's a good upgrade to the EPH-100 in my opinion.

Nov 4, 2012 at 9:04 AM Post #2,959 of 4,690
@royka

Well, I'd suggest the senn I8/IE80 based on the fact that I liked the discontinued IE7.
I found the IE7 more detailed, perhaps with a more "natural" soundtsage , and bass is more emphasized (compared to to the yamaha eph-100). However they offer much less isolation, and have a less interesting design.

Nov 4, 2012 at 5:38 PM Post #2,960 of 4,690
Sony MH1C better sounding (and im one of the biggest proponents of how good the eph-100 is).  And it'll set you back les than £13.  No brainer really.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/632892/review-sony-mh1-the-best-kept-secret

Nov 5, 2012 at 3:26 PM Post #2,963 of 4,690
Got them for a few months now and really liking em! :)

I got a question though.. I got pretty small ears and the stock ear-tips that come with the eph-100 are not really comfy for me..
Anyone knows good soft replacement ear-tips for the eph-100?

Nov 5, 2012 at 3:38 PM Post #2,964 of 4,690
Nov 7, 2012 at 6:44 AM Post #2,966 of 4,690
Quote:

If you're looking to retain a similar, but better, sound check out the Sony XBA-3. It's a good upgrade to the EPH-100 in my opinion.

Yea these do look good but a far more expensive when compared to the Yamaha's. Would you say they are worth the price gap?

Nov 7, 2012 at 11:02 AM Post #2,967 of 4,690
Quote:
Quote:
I got a question though.. I got pretty small ears and the stock ear-tips that come with the eph-100 are not really comfy for me..
Anyone knows good soft replacement ear-tips for the eph-100?

Apart from the large number of posts earlier in this thread regarding that matter, this other thread sums it up nicely: http://www.head-fi.org/t/620589/yamaha-eph-100-which-tips-can-fit-these

FYI.  I got some of those foam tips from eBay seller "lostearbuds".  Even though, I am not tall (5'11"/1.80 mt) and do not have large ears for my height, I have large ear canals.  And those tips lean toward being small for their nominal size.  So, not even the large ones were big enough for my ears.  The seller has those tips available on Amazon.com, too.  Right there, one reviewer said that the medium size tips were smaller than the medium size tips from other brands/sellers.

Nov 7, 2012 at 11:33 AM Post #2,968 of 4,690
Quote:

FYI.  I got some of those foam tips from eBay seller "lostearbuds".  Even though, I am not tall (5'11"/1.80 mt) and do not have large ears for my height, I have large ear canals.  And those tips lean toward being small for their nominal size.  So, not even the large ones were big enough for my ears.  The seller has those tips available on Amazon.com, too.  Right there, one reviewer said that the medium size tips were smaller than the medium size tips from other brands/sellers.

Well, I use the M and L size with the EPH-100 and other IEMs without any problem, and I find those tips to be very good, considering their price. But the size S is really small indeed...

Nov 7, 2012 at 12:09 PM Post #2,969 of 4,690
Quote:
Quote:

Well, I use the M and L size with the EPH-100 and other IEMs without any problem, and I find those tips to be very good, considering their price. But the size S is really small indeed...

I believe you and they do not feel flimsy to the touch.  I am just sharing some useful knowledge for those who may end up buying those tips, so that everything goes well with the new tips.

Nov 7, 2012 at 12:31 PM Post #2,970 of 4,690
Quote:

I believe you and they do not feel flimsy to the touch.  I am just sharing some useful knowledge for those who may end up buying those tips, so that everything goes well with the new tips.

Yes, you're right. Just to clear things up, the only stock bi-flange tips that I could use for short amounts of time with the EPH-100 were the medium size that came pre-fitted in them. I never found them to provide a good fit, and they would become uncomfortable after a short period of time! With these foams tips from eBay, I can use both the M and L sizes, with much better fit and comfort than the stock ones. I can now wear them for hours with any problem, and I also found the bass slighty improved with these foam tips... 
beerchug.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back