Yamaha EPH-100
Jun 21, 2012 at 1:06 PM Post #1,996 of 4,690
Quote:
There's lots of choices. For example here's what Joker said in reply to someone asking for an alternative to EPH-100.

Thanks!

I would try something armature-based instead of the ZERO, maybe an Ety HF5 or Fischer Audio SBA-03/MEElec A161 (or a Brainwavz B2 if still on pre-order) just to sample the more crisp delivery. Ultimately the bass of the EPH-100 is rather strong and the resolution in the treble leaves something to be desired. An earphone with flatter bass and better treble quality should 'fill in' whatever you are missing with the EPH-100.

Many bad review on HF5 @ Amazon, i will look into Fischer SBA-03 and Meelec A161 thanks.

Jun 21, 2012 at 2:36 PM Post #1,997 of 4,690
HF5s are a good product, Amazon reviews are a joke, many misinformed users there. Though A161 is also a nice option, they're more accessible in sound and fit as well. 

Jun 21, 2012 at 4:31 PM Post #1,998 of 4,690

There's lots of choices. For example here's what Joker said in reply to someone asking for an alternative to EPH-100.

@jokerl 

as i asked in the eph thread :

As i said i'm really enjoying my eph-100 but this is my first approach to top notch iem, so i'd like to know, what can be a good complement? by good complement i mean that i'd like to hear what i'm maybe missing with the eph. The re-zero should be a good choise right? other suggestion? 

Thx! and nice work :D u really deserve the UM Miracle 
wink.gif

Thanks!

I would try something armature-based instead of the ZERO, maybe an Ety HF5 or Fischer Audio SBA-03/MEElec A161 (or a Brainwavz B2 if still on pre-order) just to sample the more crisp delivery. Ultimately the bass of the EPH-100 is rather strong and the resolution in the treble leaves something to be desired. An earphone with flatter bass and better treble quality should 'fill in' whatever you are missing with the EPH-100.

it was me asking :D and i was asking not an alternative but a complement(i've already got eph-100 and i like them)^^

my question was because i'd love to have something with amazing soundstage and treble for a different type of music
wink.gif

Jun 21, 2012 at 10:27 PM Post #2,000 of 4,690
Quote:

it was me asking :D and i was asking not an alternative but a complement(i've already got eph-100 and i like them)^^

my question was because i'd love to have something with amazing soundstage and treble for a different type of music
wink.gif

Triple-fi 10, sound a lot like what you're after?

Quote:
Received these yesterday and they exceeded all my expectations. They shine no matter what music is thrown at them.

Shout out to Techno Kid for the recommendation.

Once they get 100 hours on them they become even smoother. 

Jun 21, 2012 at 10:36 PM Post #2,002 of 4,690
Quote:
How did you do with the R-50 that you had ordered before?

lol, I sent Techno a private message about this.

The R-50's I didn't like from the start. They were too harsh, lacked bass and I found the over the ear design very uncomfortable.

To make matters worse, the right speaker stopped working the second day....

I've spoken to customer service, and they have offered me a full refund.

Jun 21, 2012 at 10:47 PM Post #2,003 of 4,690
Quote:
Quote:
How did you do with the R-50 that you had ordered before?

lol, I sent Techno a private message about this.

The R-50's I didn't like from the start. They were too harsh, lacked bass and I found the over the ear design very uncomfortable.

To make matters worse, the right speaker stopped working the second day....

I've spoken to customer service, and they have offered me a full refund.

While I am not unhappy with my R-50, I thought that you were not going to like those and I am quite happy that you are getting along with the EPH-100.  Sincerely, I am very happy that you did not have to try many IEMs before finding a pair that suits you well.
beerchug.gif

Did you have a chance to try your R-50 with non-stock tips?

Jun 21, 2012 at 11:09 PM Post #2,004 of 4,690
Quote:
While I am not unhappy with my R-50, I thought that you were not going to like those and I am quite happy that you are getting along with the EPH-100.  Sincerely, I am very happy that you did not have to try many IEMs before finding a pair that suits you well.
beerchug.gif

Did you have a chance to try your R-50 with non-stock tips?

I did not get to try other tips, they broke too soon :frowning2:

Jun 22, 2012 at 10:11 AM Post #2,006 of 4,690
I hear nothing of the sort, I haven't read through the whole thread but has anyone else had problem with that? To me they sound very smooth with a rolled-off treble. 

What kind of music are you listening to when it becomes earpiercing? Maybe a particular song? 
Quote:
any ideas how to calm the earpiercing spike somewhere in the upper trebble wihout using IQ? i use the dualflange stock tips.

Jun 22, 2012 at 11:08 AM Post #2,007 of 4,690
you could search the podcast heavens lounge by peter canalis. although it is a podcast it has good bitrate and overall quality. nearly every hihat and womens voices sound sharp when it comes to "s".

Jun 22, 2012 at 11:38 AM Post #2,008 of 4,690
you could search the podcast heavens lounge by peter canalis. although it is a podcast it has good bitrate and overall quality. nearly every hihat and womens voices sound sharp when it comes to "s".

I would suggest that it is not a characteristic of the EPH-100, but rather the streaming podcast. I use my EPH-100's with my DAP's that are loaded with only .wav files and have never heard any artifacts in the treble with any of my files on any of my players.

Jun 22, 2012 at 1:31 PM Post #2,010 of 4,690
Quote:
its not that the eph is my first iem. i have got or owned nearly all the fotms and top tier inears. i know my music as well.

There are posted graphs somewhere I saw on this thread which indicated there is a spike up high... it seems to be attenuated greatly by the type of ear tips/seal indicated as shown by the graphs.  I have yet to receive mine so I have no personal comments on it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back