Yamaha EPH-100
May 16, 2012 at 7:02 PM Post #1,816 of 4,690
Hi, im newbie here and ive read what gilly wrote in comparison page..but technically, i dont really understang mids high..

Im using klipsch s4i, n upgraded to brainwavz m3 last week.
But im returning it today cause it sounds so bad, if u want to listen to songs adelle its good, but no bass at all.

Im considering between atrio m5 or shure 215
But i just read about this thread as well.

Im listening to pop, r$b song n asian songs.

I need something sounds really good with enough bass to make the song lively.

Thanks

May 16, 2012 at 11:28 PM Post #1,817 of 4,690
If you are coming from the S4, I don't think EPH or SE215 will have enough bass for you, unless you are ok with noticeably less bass than the S4. A good single step up would be the Fischer Audio Eterna, preferably rev.1. If you've got money, you might look at the Monster IEMs, like the Tributes or Turbine Pro Golds.

May 17, 2012 at 12:46 AM Post #1,819 of 4,690
I've come from the likes of bass heavy IEM's such as Monster Turbine, Hippo VB, Atrio M5 to owning Yamaha EPH-100. While the bass may seem velvet like as described a page back lacking some leather, I find the amount satisfying in perspective. EPH bass really suits overall signature Yamaha are trying to achieve and I feel anymore would ruin the presentation.

I guess what I'm saying is although the bass might not be as prominent as Turbines or deep as Hippo VB by any means EPH does a nice job putting it into play when required. Coming from those headphones I have no problem with EPH-100 bass. It could..be a little stronger for my tastes but nothing I worry about when listening. If anything possibly a little more bounce to it which I get out of Turbines.

May 17, 2012 at 11:48 AM Post #1,820 of 4,690
Well you're right that the S4 bass is quantity>quality, generally speaking. SE215 will have less bass but more quality; EPH will have even a little less quantity and yet more quality, but a different bass presentation than either.

I think the EPH and SE215 would both be great for your genres. If you want a slightly more analytical presentation with deeper soundstage and a softer overall sound, the EPH would be good. The SE215 has a more direct, slightly more in-your-face sound with more forward vocals and mids, and a more engaging presentation overall, but the resolution and detail are overall slightly behind the EPH.
Quote:
oh really?

cause i thought s4 bass quality is not really good.

but considering to the type of songs that i listen to, will shure or yamaha enough and better?

May 17, 2012 at 10:12 PM Post #1,821 of 4,690
I have been battling a bit with my right ear as it is a lot more convoluted to get a good fit for some reason. My left ear is just straight in and an excellent seal and comfort.

Tried the right phone with the small tips and a deeper insertion. Beefed up the bass but comfort was average at best for me.

if you are good with a deep insertion it will make an audible differece I reckon.

May 17, 2012 at 10:22 PM Post #1,822 of 4,690
Quote:
I have been battling a bit with my right ear as it is a lot more convoluted to get a good fit for some reason. My left ear is just straight in and an excellent seal and comfort.

Tried the right phone with the small tips and a deeper insertion. Beefed up the bass but comfort was average at best for me.

if you are good with a deep insertion it will make an audible differece I reckon.

I had that happen too. What I did was insert the earpiece at an angle facing slightly upwards which worked for me.

May 18, 2012 at 1:10 AM Post #1,823 of 4,690
So, I bought EPH-100 this morning

Sounds nice, very clear. Just need to wait until it burned in to reach the maximum potential.
and I'm planning to buy amp pa2v2 too to increase the performance.

Dilemma with the how the bass will sound before, but so far the bass suits my taste .

overall sound 9/10 for me. I can't really ask more for IEM.
comfort wise, it's comfortable. I'm using the tip that is already there with the headphone at the first place.

i don't know yet how isolated this IEM is, haven't asked feedback for people around me

Hopefully this may also help you guys who are confused right now., i will give a brief conclusion for those who don't really understand technical term, cause i don't too.

Conclusion

Sound:
+ Very good vocal sound (using it to listen like maroon 5 payphone, nicki minaj starships, david cook always be my baby, etc)
+ You don't need anymore bass than what this EPH-100 produces. Quantity wise, it's enough. Quality also very good, maybe a little bit tighter, hopefully it become so after using it regularly
+ Using it to listen to avicii, and other techno digital sound like that, very clear too

Accessories: I'm quite surprised with the things they give, everything is there
+ I don't know the name, the big jack for other source (not aux)
+ 5 sizes of earpads
+ cable extension
+ carrying bag

Comfort: so far nothing wrong for me, cause i've been using it only for 1 hour

Cons:
- no microphone 

With the price i got (AU $99), it's the best IEM with that value which can produce this amazing sound. 

May 18, 2012 at 12:25 PM Post #1,824 of 4,690
Wasn't this FOTM?. Even some guy opened another thread in an attempt to save this from the chaos ("recent developements", he said). After all seems that we  - the first ones listening to them - were right. I'm confused :s 

May 18, 2012 at 2:05 PM Post #1,825 of 4,690
That was why i stopped posting about them, too many naysayers saying oh it's just fotm it'll pass.

Well im still listening, and still loving mine.

What really got to me, were the people who had an opinion of them, and yet never even owned or listened to them which i thought was rather stupid.

From what i gather, tienbasse got a stream of hate mail, just because he compared them to top tier iem's

That's a pretty low blow, and why i hardly post here nowadays seems there's too many kids, and not much respect.

May 18, 2012 at 9:28 PM Post #1,829 of 4,690
Quote:
With the price i got (AU $99), it's the best IEM with that value which can produce this amazing sound. 

If you don't mind me asking, where did you pick them up for that price?

Still enjoying mine, 30+ hours. As a present to my EPH-100 I bought them a Cowon S9 - 32GB as I truly think they deserve it. Hopefully they mate together well. 
smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back