Yamaha EPH-100
May 30, 2012 at 9:23 AM Post #1,847 of 4,690
May 30, 2012 at 3:14 PM Post #1,848 of 4,690
I am pretty tempted by these now.

I assume audioaffair.co.uk is still the best deal on these for Europe?

What's odd about audioaffair is it works out cheaper to order them for the US than the UK. Though I guess you get hit by customs in the US.

May 30, 2012 at 4:25 PM Post #1,849 of 4,690
I'm really tempted too. I'm trying to hold out for a lower price, but at the same time I really want to try them now. Here in the U.S., I know Amazon had these for around $120 before increasing to $150, and Newegg had something like a 40% or 50% off coupon a few months back.

May 31, 2012 at 1:14 AM Post #1,852 of 4,690
Yes, EPH do have some cable noise. The cable is very rubbery and holds spring so it bounces around all over the shop. The seal of isolation these produce doesn't help this fact. (they seal really well which contributes to more microphonics) Over the ear is no problemo however I still where them down.

Mine have about 80 hours on them now all done by listening, When I A/B these to TF10 they do not fall much behind and in some areas out do them. Mids for example better clarity tonal delivery, bass has more suit to the music rather than an instrument playing in the background. I can use the TF10 and switch back to the EPH they sound equally as clear which is fairly good coming from triple balanced armature to a single micro driver 6mm in size. EPH sound more musical and I find myself foot tapping wilding without realizing it often whereas the TF10 are more a precision listening device. Both have their time and place.

I have GRO7 coming soon.,Can they live up to the EPH-100? because TF10 barely surpass them.

Time will tell. 

May 31, 2012 at 5:25 AM Post #1,853 of 4,690
I bought a few aftermarket clips for all my IEM's, so that I have them and don't need to demount and remount clips, depending upon what I am using at the moment. Some IEM's needed it more than others, if anything, but for willful wire, flimsy wire, or a rubbery feel that can catch onto things too easily. Wire would get snagged now and then and the clips help prevent that. Reduction of microphonics is the cherry on top.

May 31, 2012 at 5:33 AM Post #1,854 of 4,690
I've bought a few IEM's since my Yamaha's so I haven't listen to them for months so I decided to pop them in for awhile, man I forgot just how good they sound.  My favorite IEM at the moment is the Rockit Sounds R-50 and the EPH-100 aren't far off in the SQ department and even sound quite similar with its balanced sound signature and can be a touch warm at times especially when I use my E6 with them.  Amp'ed they sound even better because it widens the soundstage some and gives the bass better texture.  I was getting some of my IEM's together to sale and these were going to be one but not after listening to them again and I'm going to have to use them more often.

Jun 2, 2012 at 8:14 PM Post #1,857 of 4,690
EPH-100 is more balanced between all frequencies with a bit more micro detail but the MG7 is still very balanced in the mids and highs they just have better bass than the Yamaha's.  I have both and I really can't say I like one more than the other, they both fit different needs for me.  If you want a detailed balanced IEM thats laid back with really good 3D presentation then the EPH-100 would do well but for a more bass heavy (imo the best bass of any IEM I've heard) monitor like sound signature the MG7 is better for that.

Jun 3, 2012 at 4:04 AM Post #1,858 of 4,690
They look pretty cool... 
biggrin.gif

Jun 4, 2012 at 2:42 AM Post #1,859 of 4,690
Quote:
Comparisons to the Westone 4? Looking to get an IEM but considering the EPH-100 as it is more affordable

The Westone 4 has much better treble. But the EPH-100 is on pair concerning instrument separation. It depends if you're a treble-head or not and as such you appreciate all that micro-detail of ultra realistic treble, perfect decay, etc. However, EPH-100 has more bass.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back