Yamaha EPH-100
May 19, 2012 at 8:16 PM Post #1,833 of 4,690
I've developed a special bond with these IEMs. I've put in 18 hrs, 7 days a week on an average at work over the last one year and I've spent more time with these phones than with friends, family, hobbies. I've recently gotten over this phase and moved into a new role at work. Throughout the course of my heavy lifting and rigour at work...these phones have been nothing short than a blessing in disguise, I've re-discovered my 100s of GBs of classic rock compilation over the last many years at a whole new level. The beautiful, easy and even presentation style across my fav bands like steely dan, dire straits, stevie ray, joe satriani, john coltrane has eased my transition during this phase.

For me, my eph-100 go beyond pure sonic qualities where i have a very special bond with these. Two set of phones, I'm going to always have...no matter what and no matter how many better, bigger and more technically proficient phones hit the market. My hd-25s and eph-100 will live forever! I have to give credit on getting these to the first few posts of this thread which made me go for these. 

May 24, 2012 at 10:26 AM Post #1,834 of 4,690
Ordered! Joining the club and hope I like them. 
L3000.gif

Edited to add: May 25th - ARRIVED. Nice. Airy, open, fun. Burn-in for the time being .....

May 26, 2012 at 5:08 AM Post #1,837 of 4,690
Yeah they're great for movies, I use mine all the time. 

Honestly people who haven't tried these need to jump on the wagon. If Yamaha brought out a EPH-200 I would buy it without blinking. These are honestly one of the best IEM's I have heard, Can't wait until ijokerl's review comes out! 

May 27, 2012 at 8:22 AM Post #1,839 of 4,690
Quote:

Only logged another few of hours on them so no real changes to report. Running some burn in atm...

Bass is solid, you feel it but it's not super bassy. I am going to try some of the other tips on my right ear. It isn't sealing as well as the left. Not sure how much this is affecting the bass. As I haven't had IEM before it has taken me a little while to work that out LOL.

Found another track where the Bass loses control a bit - Fat Boy Slim "Demons"

I'm really liking female vocals through the eph
Dido, Macy Gray, Stevie Nicks have all sounded very nice. Admittedly I seem to prefer huskier female artists looking at that
wink_face.gif

Metal looks like it will be a bit of a mixed bag. I'm thinking that another 'phone should be considered if you are a metalhead.

Electronic and Rap/Hip-Hop are good. There is usually a bit of layering and directionality in the production which the eph seems to do quite well. On the intro to Cypress Hill "Throw your set in the Air" I could clearly hear the music being played on the radio in the background which I have never heard before in over 10 years of owning the album. I'm not sure if this is actually impressive as I'm no audiophile but I was pleasantly surprised!

Haven't really hit much classic rock, bar a couple of Fleetwod Mac tunes or blues yet which are my other two main genres. I'm thinking the eph should do pretty well with these.

They work great for me for metal. Maybe it's my source. I am using an iPhone4 with the Equalizer app.
http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/equalizer/id321267949?mt=8

May 27, 2012 at 10:13 PM Post #1,842 of 4,690
Quote:
They work great for me for metal. Maybe it's my source. I am using an iPhone4 with the Equalizer app.
http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/equalizer/id321267949?mt=8

Source plays a big part in this. I purchased a Cowon S9 expecting huge results from it with EPH, but in fact I still prefer my Clip+ using orginal Sansa firmware. Channel seperation and imaging isn't as obvious on the Cowon, mostly surprising I lost a tad of that ear juicing liquid clarity in the mids / female vocals, I also noticed similar results when using rockbox on the Clip+ There's something about the Sansa firmware with EPH that gives them a sound I cannot get from my other sources. I also found I must lift the volume up higher to get substantial levels using the Cowon, again volume lifting is not needed when using the Clip+. I've used  2G touch with Equalizer and it did very well but again...not the same as a Clip+.

If you haven't got a Clip I'd recommend buying a 2GB model to pair with these and throwing an SD card in it.

My ears to not lie. 
tongue_smile.gif

May 28, 2012 at 2:25 PM Post #1,843 of 4,690
Similar thing with the fuze, i run mine also using stock firmware but with a custom lod to my p4 warbler.

And i have to say, tis rather nice i should listen to it more often really, but it's easier to fire up my pro 900's which are just as much fun, especially now they're burned in.

May 29, 2012 at 4:16 PM Post #1,845 of 4,690
Lol you think?

Well the pro900's are more fun actually, but the yammies win me back because they are so smooth whilst the 900's can be a bit in your face after a while.

Plus the source is different, which will always change things anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back