Yamaha EPH-100
Feb 17, 2012 at 4:06 AM Post #1,231 of 4,690

Quote:

Hmm. I think I will keep my Klipsch X10i after all. The EHP was my no1 phone to get instead of the X10:s. I love the X10:s fit and isolation. But I am looking for a more  sparkling and agressive sound with the same amount of base and detail.

You might want to look at the IE80's although isolation and fit are drastically different.

That said, the x10 and the ie8's are 2 of my most hate earphones I've ever heard/owned. Can't recommend them to anyone, even for half their RRP.

Feb 17, 2012 at 9:42 AM Post #1,235 of 4,690
lol, I mean, I had the IE8s (same thing) for almost 2 years and they don't compare to the Yamahas concerning SQ (clarity, detail, instrument separation, mids, etc). Of course this is to my ears.

Feb 17, 2012 at 10:35 AM Post #1,236 of 4,690

Quote:
lol, I mean, I had the IE8s (same thing) for almost 2 years and they don't compare to the Yamahas concerning SQ (clarity, detail, instrument separation, mids, etc). Of course this is to my ears.

I didn't quite get the wording, you mean the Yamas are better in every aspect?

(I'm no sennheiser fan boy so you can tell me yes lol)

Feb 17, 2012 at 10:39 AM Post #1,239 of 4,690
How do you feel about mids/vocals? If you don't mind them being recessed, you may like the W3. The EPH is kind of like a slightly bloated-feeling X10 in the bass, more impact but traded-off for precision. It's slower so it doesn't "dissect" music the way a BA, even the X10, does; not as detailed, the EPH smooths over some things the X10 portrays more distinctly, though I hesitate to say that the X10s really reveal anything the EPH100 don't.

It's true that the X10s and EPH share a similar signature, but don't expect the same speed and definition; the EPH is dynamic. They are less dark than the X10, but they don't have "sparkly" treble; it shimmers a little more than the X10, and cymbals have more decay, but the treble isn't THAT much more prominent.

I'm not sure what comes close to the X10's overall sound while just adding sparkle; I was once on that exact quest myself, though, and I wound up going with the W3. The W3 are definitely more aggressive than the X10 with similar bass quantity, albeit different presentation. The W3 has similar bass quantity overall with more punch in the midbass and a little less rumble, great airy, sparkly, prominent treble, and a moderately recessed midrange. I wound up selling them, though, because as much as I wanted to like them, I can't stand recessed mids. I also looked at the CK90pro, but have since realized I am after a thicker sound that only a dynamic can really provide. Other BA phones I looked at were the SM2/3, UM3x, and Ortofones, all of which are said to have bass that comes close to dynamic-sounding, like the X10. 
Quote:

Hmm. I think I will keep my Klipsch X10i after all. The EHP was my no1 phone to get instead of the X10:s. I love the X10:s fit and isolation. But I am looking for a more  sparkling and agressive sound with the same amount of base and detail.

Feb 17, 2012 at 12:29 PM Post #1,240 of 4,690

Quote:

that should in theory be a huge improvement :)

Quote:
X2. Compared to a dead Klipsch Custom 3, they should be a significant upgrade in almost every aspect, except maybe fit and isolation.
wink.gif

Good point. I was obviously alluding to the pre-dead versions.
biggrin.gif

As for fit and isolation... the Klipsch were ok, but I never did quite get along with the tips. The size that offered the best isolation and comfort often lodged themselves deep in my ear, requiring a high level of dexterity and tweezers to pull them out. That wasn't much fun, and was rather worrying too.

Feb 17, 2012 at 12:53 PM Post #1,241 of 4,690

Quote:
Good point. I was obviously alluding to the pre-dead versions.
biggrin.gif

As for fit and isolation... the Klipsch were ok, but I never did quite get along with the tips. The size that offered the best isolation and comfort often lodged themselves deep in my ear, requiring a high level of dexterity and tweezers to pull them out. That wasn't much fun, and was rather worrying too.

hahahaha! :D

Feb 17, 2012 at 2:24 PM Post #1,242 of 4,690
 Different size tip = Different presentation

depth penetration = Soundstage much more wider, depth and airy. As well better  separation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back