Yamaha EPH-100
Feb 17, 2012 at 6:46 PM Post #1,246 of 4,690

Quote:
so can anyone tell me how they are compared to the fxt90? i just ordered fxt90 and i'm wondering if i should've gone with the eph-100?

You guys got me curious about these Yamahas, so I got them yesterday. These are not bad, not bad at all. Its been 2 months since I last heard the FXT90 so I don't really remember how they sound exactly, but I'll try to help. Overall they're on the same level.

The Yamahas have less mid bass but more sub bass. Bass quality is equal. So are the mids. The FXT90 treble is forward and is sparkly. The Yamaha treble is not that prominent and the note is kind of quick.

Presentation, the FXT90 is rather forward and aggressive. Yamahas are not aggressive or laid back, right in the middle. Soundstage wise, I'll say that the Yamahas are better. The FXT90 have more depth, but they have the same height, and the Yamahas are wider and the separation is quite a bit better.

Feb 18, 2012 at 4:10 AM Post #1,247 of 4,690
Nice comparison with the FTX90, mugen3. I beleive that they're pretty close in performance, just with a slightly different sound sig and instrument separation/soundstage. What makes me prefer the YAMAHAs over the UM3X for EDM (trance, dub-step, etc) is the sub-bass. I love the quick drums. So realistic, sounds like if I'm playing. Unfortunately they have to go, but I'll keep the UM3X RC as they are so similar (although I prefer the UM3X treble) and have replaceable cable (I got a silver custom one and things have changed - DEEPER bass).

Feb 18, 2012 at 7:16 AM Post #1,249 of 4,690
For Metal, the instrument separation of the EPH-100 is just unbeatable. Plus, powerful bass/sub-bass. BTW, I'm a  big fan of Dream Theater ; )

Feb 18, 2012 at 10:27 AM Post #1,250 of 4,690
I agree. Progressive Rock/Metal sounds excellent on EPH-100. They have the right kind of sound signature for bands like Rush, Liquid Tension Experiment, Joe Satriani, Steve Vai, Dream Theatre...due to it's above average instrument seperation and quality of bass. On extremely congested metal songs, I am not sure how they fare against high end BAs on this front. I guess that would differ and depend on a case to case basis.I think EPH-100 does a great job on Dream Theatre's Awake ...let me know what you think

Feb 18, 2012 at 10:46 AM Post #1,252 of 4,690
thank you! i'm really gonna buy them now! an ampli is required or they sound great even without?

can you try also this one? 

and this one? 

sorry for the last video but it was the only one with the song in hq 
biggrin.gif

Feb 18, 2012 at 10:54 AM Post #1,253 of 4,690
amp not required...easy to drive though you have to raise the volume couple of notches over when compared to JVC FXT90s.  But I am sure an amp will positively influence the overall SQ, but definitely not a 'must have'.

Feb 18, 2012 at 12:37 PM Post #1,254 of 4,690
Great thread people, thinking of getting the yamms for a friends birthday soon, however i wondered if u guys could answer a  question firstly? Said friend has owned senns 300, bose- unsure of model and now has denon c751, would the yamms be an upgrade to the denons or just a sidestep? Not saying he is hard to please, but he did try my shure530 a while ago and although he did like them, he was`nt that impressed with them and i got them back after a couple of days, where as i thought it may have had a harder time to get the them back off him...  I think totallydubbed has both the denons and yamms, would be good to hear from you, maybe? Any other iem reccomendations would be greatly appreciated, as long as its in price range, must also add he likes to jog and train in his iems, plus likes most genres of music, probably leaning more towards indie, bit of drum n bass, beatles, oasis, elvis... defo not classical.  Thanks in advance to any headfiers posts.. 

Feb 18, 2012 at 1:42 PM Post #1,256 of 4,690
Honestly IMO it's nothing super special. It's good for the price but it's not a really WOW kind of sound IMO. It's a really good complete package with a reasonable price, exceptionally good isolation; not something I would buy just to buy an IEM though. It's not anything unique or really incredible in any one aspect; on the other hand if it's really the sound you're looking for, it could definitely be a do-it-all IEM.

Quote:
Damn. You guys are seriously making me pull the trigger on the EPH-100. In the next 5-7 days, it'll happen. My tax return money will be in by then.

Feb 18, 2012 at 1:46 PM Post #1,257 of 4,690
This kind of music definitely showcases the EPH's strength in separation, but their presentation of guitars doesn't really wow me; I want more crunch, more visceral sound when I listen to anything with guitars. Put a pair of SR80is on your head and you'll know what I mean.

Quote:
I agree. Progressive Rock/Metal sounds excellent on EPH-100. They have the right kind of sound signature for bands like Rush, Liquid Tension Experiment, Joe Satriani, Steve Vai, Dream Theatre...due to it's above average instrument seperation and quality of bass. On extremely congested metal songs, I am not sure how they fare against high end BAs on this front. I guess that would differ and depend on a case to case basis.I think EPH-100 does a great job on Dream Theatre's Awake ...let me know what you think

Feb 18, 2012 at 1:55 PM Post #1,259 of 4,690

Quote:
Honestly IMO it's nothing super special. It's good for the price but it's not a really WOW kind of sound IMO. It's a really good complete package with a reasonable price, exceptionally good isolation; not something I would buy just to buy an IEM though. It's not anything unique or really incredible in any one aspect; on the other hand if it's really the sound you're looking for, it could definitely be a do-it-all IEM.

I think you need a SM3.
wink_face.gif

Below this range will always lack something to you. It's useless you spend more money on several cheap attempts.

Feb 18, 2012 at 2:24 PM Post #1,260 of 4,690
But see, I don't really feel certain my tastes are sophisticated enough to want something like GR07; I'm afraid it would be boring compared to my more colored headphones. I was even going to low-ball my desire for the SM3 and go to the SM2. I was really impressed by my Shure SE215, in both mids and bass; the bass can be slightly muddy sometimes and the mids are missing minor details but overall I found them very likeable, whereas I've seen quite a few people who might be more "true audiophiles" express their distaste for the overall SQ of the SE215; to me, it needs more detail in the treble and tightness in the bass, but other than that it's perfect for my ears. Micro-detail in the mids would not be missed if the price was right and everything else was there. Likewise I have a pair of Phiaton MS400 which I feel lack very little with the exception of occasional sibilance and a bit of muddiness in the bass. I worry that phones like the GR07 will be too neutral for me and lack the overall quantity of bass that I want.

I'm looking at aurisonics now, which are also said to be neutral-sounding, but only because they are apparently a steal at the current price considering overall SQ, and will likely have the bass and isolation I need.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back