Yamaha EPH-100
Feb 16, 2012 at 3:08 PM Post #1,218 of 4,690
Theres a comparison with the FX700 on the first page, by tienbasse. "It's a draw in my opinion, I'd say they're complementary." - he says. So, being the FX500 inferior to the FX700, I think you got an answer ; )

Feb 16, 2012 at 3:20 PM Post #1,219 of 4,690

Absolutely, since I've been on head-fi, many (including those that have been here for many years) have sold their favorite phone for what ever reason including to fund another one that they would like to try. Some of us can't afford to continue to buy additional IEMs, nor would it be appealing to collect umpteen different ones. I think the desire to upgrade or change is human nature. I look forward to your impressions to your next phone(s), And I hope they exceed your expectations!

Quote:
Attacking who?! You must be kidding me, dude. You must have been watching the wrong movie :D

And now I can't sell a phone I LOVE because I want to buy a better one, a $799 5 driver custom-made and need the money to help funding the purchase????!!!! LOL, dude, chill.

What a stupidity, my God...
confused_face_2.gif

ALL that I have said about this EXCELENT phone, I KEEP IT and that is very clear on my sale. It's one of the best IEMs I've heard, competing with 3 driver, 3 way crossover IEMs that cost 3x as much. This is a very very reluctant sale, but has to be, I want more and hard decisions have to be done on these occasions.

Feb 16, 2012 at 3:57 PM Post #1,220 of 4,690

Quote:
What about the JVC HA-FX500 Vs. Yamaha EPH-100?

Being a open iem, I think FX500 must have more deph and airy soundstage, with good bass. if you can live with open vent, for sure is a great choice .

I would love to try an FX700, but i cant buy all iem's. :frowning2:.....If you want a good noise isolation seal, forget.

you will not be disappointed with FX500, each iem's as its brightness.

Feb 16, 2012 at 4:07 PM Post #1,221 of 4,690
Want to hear a show of instrument separation with the EPH-100's? Listen to this: Song for Ancestors (2000 - Shango) and compare with your other IEMs
wink_face.gif

Feb 16, 2012 at 4:22 PM Post #1,222 of 4,690

Imo these two graphs show that the spike may well be related to tips/fit. In the first graph, bass emphasis is much lower than in the second and the treble spike is about 20db, whereas it's only <10db in the second. Assuming the differences are not the result of product variation, I'd guess that goldenears used different tips and/or achieved a better seal compared to the [size=x-small]ryumatsuba[/size] measurement.

Definitely, variations in their test setups are not out of question; imo GE's measurement looks(sounds?) to be the more accurate one, at least from what im hearing by just running sweeps on Audacity. It could just be that their equipment emulates the my ear better than Matsuba's, though I dont really have a deep understanding of these things

Feb 16, 2012 at 7:11 PM Post #1,225 of 4,690

Quote:
My EPH-100s shipped today, looking forward to hearing how they compare to my dead Klipsch Custom 3, seem to be worth a punt for what they cost here in the UK.

Don't worry, it's impossible to remain indifferent to the EPH.

Mine only now beginning to open. (burn-in required).

Feb 16, 2012 at 11:19 PM Post #1,226 of 4,690
Quote:
My EPH-100s shipped today, looking forward to hearing how they compare to my dead Klipsch Custom 3, seem to be worth a punt for what they cost here in the UK.

Quote:
that should in theory be a huge improvement :)

X2. Compared to a dead Klipsch Custom 3, they should be a significant upgrade in almost every aspect, except maybe fit and isolation.
wink.gif

Feb 17, 2012 at 12:44 AM Post #1,227 of 4,690
This is definitely a good track for the EPH. The Yams have a great bass presentation for hand drums, brings mids forward at the right times. Great song for conveying the EPH's ability to present multiple instruments distinctly in a relatively small space; this track definitely shows that the EPH has more noticeable depth than width.

IMO the EPH have a somewhat lukewarm signature, but it manages to work reasonably well with most genres and really well with most psytrance.  I prefer it overall to the W3; the tonal balance is much more natural, and not a trace of recessed mids, but with respectable separation and a smaller, ableit more coherent presentation.

These actually remind me a bit of the Klipsch X10; not as lush in the midrange, but with a similar punchiness albeit less emphasis in subbass, not as fast. Soundstage is deeper but not as wide. The X10s have an overall darker sound, but not quite as warm. Clarity and detail go to the X10 but the EPH is more neutral and true to the material.

Quote:
Want to hear a show of instrument separation with the EPH-100's? Listen to this: Song for Ancestors (2000 - Shango) and compare with your other IEMs
wink_face.gif

Feb 17, 2012 at 2:50 AM Post #1,228 of 4,690
I finally received mine after a painstakingly long wait. Coming from the UE700 and Brainwavz B2, these are definitely much heavier on the bass side of things. Treble isn't as precise and delicate for sure compared to the B2s, but the EPH isn't bad at all. I can understand how you guys are labeling these as a "fun" pair of earphones. Listening to EDM and trance definitely got my feet tapping 
etysmile.gif
 I was a little worried about trying my classical collection, but they turned out better than I expected; perhaps reading about how bad they were in this thread put my expectations way down. For now, it looks like I'll be keeping the EPH and I feel like it complements my collection well. Now to re-read parts of this thread to listen to all the songs you guys suggested work well with the EPH. I can't wait to get them burned in... I've always wondered whether it actually changes things. Coming from a purely BA collection, I haven't experienced it before. Here's hoping these will get even better! Thanks for all the impressions and you guys have offered that brought me to buying these 
ksc75smile.gif

Feb 17, 2012 at 3:32 AM Post #1,229 of 4,690

Quote:
This is definitely a good track for the EPH. The Yams have a great bass presentation for hand drums, brings mids forward at the right times. Great song for conveying the EPH's ability to present multiple instruments distinctly in a relatively small space; this track definitely shows that the EPH has more noticeable depth than width.

Exactly.

Feb 17, 2012 at 4:01 AM Post #1,230 of 4,690

Quote:

IMO the EPH have a somewhat lukewarm signature, but it manages to work reasonably well with most genres and really well with most psytrance.  I prefer it overall to the W3; the tonal balance is much more natural, and not a trace of recessed mids, but with respectable separation and a smaller, ableit more coherent presentation.

These actually remind me a bit of the Klipsch X10; not as lush in the midrange, but with a similar punchiness albeit less emphasis in subbass, not as fast. Soundstage is deeper but not as wide. The X10s have an overall darker sound, but not quite as warm. Clarity and detail go to the X10 but the EPH is more neutral and true to the material.

Hmm. I think I will keep my Klipsch X10i after all. The EHP was my no1 phone to get instead of the X10:s. I love the X10:s fit and isolation. But I am looking for a more  sparkling and agressive sound with the same amount of base and detail.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back