Yamaha EPH-100
Jan 27, 2012 at 4:26 PM Post #243 of 4,690

Quote:
Man Miow your really hyping these up a lot and I hope they have all the qualities your stating.  If they can have the accuracy and detail of a balanced armature with the bass and presence of a dynamic then these might just be the IEM's I've been looking for.

They have the accuracy and detail of a triple BA, except for the treble. But it's good enough. And beleive me, I'm a treble-head and love good treble. Not as good as the UM3X/SM3 but not far. Not hyping, lol, just comparing them to the IEMs I've owned (and still own), which were many, including triple-BAs.

Quote:
I'm also using standard tips but my ear canals never been happy with dual flange.

Same here. They're hearting my ears. I need other tips. Just have no idea of which tips will fit here. Some help would be appreciated.

Jan 27, 2012 at 5:05 PM Post #246 of 4,690
Miow would you say the soundstage is avg in width and depth or above avg?  That and instrument separation besides detail are the 2 things that are most important to me.

Jan 27, 2012 at 5:08 PM Post #247 of 4,690

Quote:
See there for alternative (large) tips from MEElectronics (M11+ extra-large mushrooms + medium mushrooms inserted inside the previous in reverse position).
http://www.head-fi.org/t/577712/yamaha-eph-100/75#post_8034998
Huge step up for comfort, isolation similar to stock tips, but much softer to the touch.

As the standard fitted EPH-100's tips are good in size for me, should i be looking at a Medium with a Small  to go in it ?

Can you please clarify 'inserted inside the previous in reverse'
Do you mean turned inside out ? or just on backwards like this.

I have a pair of Meelec Long single flange for IE7. When i put these on the EPH100, the driver almost  protruded above the tip end.
I'm hoping this will not be the case with the regular single flange tips.

Still would love to get hands on the trumpet tips. They look so comfortable.

Jan 27, 2012 at 5:24 PM Post #248 of 4,690

Quote:

I have a pair of Meelec Long single flange for IE7. When i put these on the EPH100, the driver almost  protruded above the tip end.
I'm hoping this will not be the case with the regular single flange tips.

Miow, you have the correct MEelec link for the tips.

And yes, sorry for the Frenglish, I meant the medium tip put backwards with the stem slightly shortened so the combination of both tip stems has the proper length for the IEM nozzle.
Using only one tip will not be long enough for the EPH-100, it will move too much.

What you effectively get by doing this little trick looks like a tire chamber, so it gives a comfy fit in the ears.

This combo protudes slightly more than the original LL tip (2mm instead of 1), so no worry about dirtying the IEM mesh with earwax.

Jan 27, 2012 at 5:52 PM Post #249 of 4,690

Quote:
Miow would you say the soundstage is avg in width and depth or above avg?  That and instrument separation besides detail are the 2 things that are most important to me.

The soundstage is definitely above average. Detail and instrument separation are on pair with triple-drivers such as UM3X and SM3 (a bit better separation on the Yamahas).

Jan 27, 2012 at 6:38 PM Post #251 of 4,690
Careful with fit, you can loose alot of bass. Insert them deeply, try different positions of the IEM. The one that gives me ALL the bass hurts my ears, but its worth it. Thats why I need to get those Meelec tips. This is not the kind of IEM that you just insert and voila, max seal, all the bass (at least with the stock tips).

Jan 27, 2012 at 6:43 PM Post #252 of 4,690

Quote:
Careful with fit, you can loose alot of bass. Insert them deeply, try different positions of the IEM. The one that gives me ALL the bass hurts my ears, but its worth it. Thats why I need to get those Meelec tips. This is not the kind of IEM that you just insert and voila, max seal, all the bass (at least with the stock tips).

No pain no gain. LOL.

EDIT: My son is using the smallest size tips. I keep asking him whether he is getting good seals with intended bass by comparing with his cans (D2000). He said he was getting good seals without having the tips going deep.

Jan 27, 2012 at 7:18 PM Post #253 of 4,690
Quote:
Nulliverse you got me intrigued now. . .
What particular remix version of Vibrasphere do you recommend.
I understand you not wanting to put up lowQ links that won't do justice to the track.
I feel the same but hope it will encourage people to get hiQ track.
Nuera track has amazing sub bass that just doest come through on YouTube link.
Someone recommended Camera By drake for bass. Man that track is mental with eph100s for rap demo.
These little gems pack lot of bass thats hard to conceive from their size.

I recommend the original mix... well, the whole “Tributaries” album actually. They didn’t re-write the rule book on EDM, but it’s def decently written and well produced progressive trance. Your second point is a good one - I was off hunting for the FLAC download immediately after hearing that Nuera track - thanks to you.

Quote:
Got them today! Just 3 hours of burn-in (as the previous owner has used them for 2 hours at the most) and I can just say this: They are sooooo much better than the GR-07's ; )

Full comparison with GR-07, UM3X and SM3 soon.

(instrument separation is just insane as it is 3D imaging and I can't reveal more for now)

"Better" is too blanket and subjective a statement for me to use, but I certainly share your enthusiasm.

Quote:

Well how are the Yamahas more linear/accurate? more linear bass with less midbass? more treble presence while having more refinement? enjoyable doesn't equate to more accuracy. VB and UM3X are more about coloration than accuracy fwir 

Yeah, I'm with Inks on this one. There are many things that went through my mind when I heard the EPS-100s for the first time, and accuracy was not one of them. To my ear the Yamahas are colored and unashamedly mid centric. Far from being a weakness, I consider this to be one of their most alluring charms.

I can't comment objectively on these vs the GR-07's as frustratingly mine are out on loan. However, I know intuitively that they're more colored, more mid-centric, and ultimately more musical. To my ears however both phones bear little relation to each other other than the obvious bang for buck factor. In fact, I'd go so far as to say that the Yamahas have more in common with mid-centric tyrants such as the SM3, and RE-262. Not having either these on hand I Daren't attempt a comparison. What I will say however is that I prefer the EPH-100s over both by quite a large margin..

How can I be sure? Well, I loved aspects of the SM3s from day one, namely their larger than life 3D presentation and immersive soundstage. I was however plagued by an ongoing lack of clarity, excessive warmth and recessed highs. In hindsight I see the seed of doubt that was planted straight out of the box. This seed germinated and grew over time, eventually flourishing into outright frustration, and ending in their sale. In contrast, the EPH-100s 3D imaging genuinely blows me away, not because it is better than the SM3s per ser, but because it is intensified and more fully realized through excellent clarity and alarmingly good separation.

I won't lie, straight out of the box the Re-262’s elegantly laid back mids had me spellbound. To me these phones gave a whole new meaning to the word “liquid”. Amongst all the enchantment however, I hungered for more quantitative lows, more impact, and more authoritative rumble. The RE-262s soft and caressing note never sated this need, even when amped / eq’d, and again this lead to frustration resulting in sale. In stark contrast the Yamaha's lows have knocked my socks off, and smile smugly at my lonely amp. These bad boys do not mess about when it comes to bottom end. They have serious impact and sub-bass in spades. Furthermore, I find their lush and inticately detailed mids just as enchanting.

Personally I can't relate to the jumping ship stuff' as I bear no allegiance to any particular brand. To my ears different phones meet different needs and good phones are simply good phones. The EPH-100s are wothout doubt that.I’m going to hold back from expressing further impressions through fear of slipping into unforeseen pits of post-purchase swoon. I will however close by admitting that I have not yet been this excited by an earphone... I recommend the EPH-100s unreservedly and without hesitation.

A comparison to my dear FXT90s will follow.     

Jan 27, 2012 at 7:42 PM Post #254 of 4,690

Quote:
Yeah, I'm with Inks on this one. There are many things that went through my mind when I heard the EPS-100s for the first time, and accuracy was not one of them. To my ear the Yamahas are colored and unashamedly mid centric. Far from being a weakness, I consider this to be one of their most alluring charms.

I can't comment objectively on these vs the GR-07's as frustratingly mine are out on loan. However, I know intuitively that they're more colored, more mid-centric, and ultimately more musical. To my ears however both phones bear little relation to each other other than the obvious bang for buck factor. In fact, I'd go so far as to say that the Yamahas have more in common with mid-centric tyrants such as the SM3, and RE-262. Not having either these on hand I Daren't attempt a comparison. What I will say however is that I prefer the EPH-100s over both by quite a large margin..

How can I be sure? Well, I loved aspects of the SM3s from day one, namely their larger than life 3D presentation and immersive soundstage. I was however plagued by an ongoing lack of clarity, excessive warmth and recessed highs. In hindsight I see the seed of doubt that was planted straight out of the box. This seed germinated and grew over time, eventually flourishing into outright frustration, and ending in their sale. In contrast, the EPH-100s 3D imaging genuinely blows me away, not because it is better than the SM3s per ser, but because it is intensified and more fully realized through excellent clarity and alarmingly good separation.

I won't lie, straight out of the box the Re-262’s elegantly laid back mids had me spellbound. To me these phones gave a whole new meaning to the word “liquid”. Amongst all the enchantment however, I hungered for more quantitative lows, more impact, and more authoritative rumble. The RE-262s soft and caressing note never sated this need, even when amped / eq’d, and again this lead to frustration resulting in sale. In stark contrast the Yamaha's lows have knocked my socks off, and smile smugly at my lonely amp. These bad boys do not mess about when it comes to bottom end. They have serious impact and sub-bass in spades. Furthermore, I find their lush and inticately detailed mids just as enchanting.

Personally I can't relate to the jumping ship stuff' as I bear no allegiance to any particular brand. To my ears different phones meet different needs and good phones are simply good phones. The EPH-100s are wothout doubt that.I’m going to hold back from expressing further impressions through fear of slipping into unforeseen pits of post-purchase swoon. I will however close by admitting that I have not yet been this excited by an earphone... I recommend the EPH-100s unreservedly and without hesitation.

A comparison to my dear FXT90s will follow.     

My interest is officially piqued!

Jan 27, 2012 at 10:37 PM Post #255 of 4,690
I honestly think the Spider Realvoice does the warm mid centric sound signature best when it comes to dynamics not counting the RE262 since that one isn't quite warm. I hate the ergonomics on those though so it's nice to see this option. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back