Yamaha EPH-100
Jan 26, 2012 at 1:26 PM Post #212 of 4,690

Quote:
Sorry to hear that Miow. I know how much you was looking forward to trying them out.

People in US can also consider Audioaffair.co.uk which will cost round $115 delivered last i checked.

What a coincident. That was the price I got from J&R.

Jan 26, 2012 at 5:58 PM Post #214 of 4,690

Thanks for the welcomes guys
beerchug.gif

Quote:
Nulliverse, what genre of music you into ?
Make sure to give EDM a go to truly appreciate the 3D immersiveness these phones can deliver. I put a youtube link in earlier post to a NUERA track that demonstrates EPH100's strengths in bass, detail & 3D sound stage (best to hear 320k to really get the feel).

I'm into all sorts archy. Although I know what EDM stands for, I'm never quite clear what people mean by it (it's not a term that's been used in the UK since the 80's), so I just assume it's an umbrella term for different sub-genres of electronic dance music?  If so, then yes. Oh yes.

I liked the Nuera song you linked, despite being frustrated at the crappy bit-rate (I've not listened to anything other than lossless for the past few years). It's got a real Balearic flavour, reminding me of some of the uplifting / morning trance I was dancing to at the close of the 90s. And yes, the EPH100 renders it beautifully, giving it an exceptional three dimensional quality.

Funny enough, the very first song I ran these through was a progressive trance tune called Erosion, by Vibrasphere. It's been a faithful test-run tune of mine for years, largely due to it's near perfect sub-bass kick, ethereal mid range layers, and innovative use of high frequency rhythms. I'd link it, but listening to it at anything less than lossless is sacrilege! I recommend downloading it though... it really showcases these phones unnervingly good ability to immerse you completely in layers of lushness.

*Is distracted by the amount of detail in those mids!*

Ahem... where was I? Oh, yeah... EDM. I felt so chilled and uplifted by that Nuera track that I decided to balance myself out again, by listening to something slightly darker. Well, a lot darker. It's trance, but certainly not the sort of trance you want to put on at a party. Enjoy...

Jan 26, 2012 at 6:10 PM Post #216 of 4,690
Oh, and sorry all for not posting details on impressions. I definetly will, but have been so busy trying out different genres that I've not had a chance
L3000.gif

Jan 26, 2012 at 7:34 PM Post #217 of 4,690
Nulliverse you got me intrigued now. . .
What particular remix version of Vibrasphere do you recommend.

I understand you not wanting to put up lowQ links that won't do justice to the track.
I feel the same but hope it will encourage people to get hiQ track.
Nuera track has amazing sub bass that just doest come through on YouTube link.

Someone recommended Camera By drake for bass. Man that track is mental with eph100s for rap demo.
These little gems pack lot of bass thats hard to conceive from their size.

Jan 26, 2012 at 9:27 PM Post #219 of 4,690
I just managed to seriously scare myself with these things !

The separation / imaging is crazy on the EPH-100's ! !

I was lying in bed in pitch dark listening to what I thought were relaxing tracks - Sade, Stevie Wonder, Lionel etc.

Than I distinctively heard sound of footsteps on my far right where the door was. I clearly followed the steps as they hustled across to the left of the bedroom. I shot open my eyes whilst I was still following the steps in the dark with my head. What! I thought.

Had I been broken into or was it the earphones ??!. For a split second I was really lost between reality & what my ears were telling me. I had to snatch out the earphones before I could be sure what was happening. Unbelievable. .

I have had out of head experiences like this before whilst listening to music but nothing so surreal & vivid.

You're going to laugh when I tell you the track that had me scared - Dancing On The Ceiling - Lionel Richie lol . . I know. . Laugh as you may. Heightened listening in the dark did not help. Check it out for yourself in the dark. I totally was not expecting the clarity of steps in the opening of the track. You can follow every step going across you even with med quality mp3.

Moral of story is don't put Dancing On the Ceiling in your easy listening playlist for the night with EPH100's plugged in.

*edit*
Just heard the track again in broad day light. Imaging is fantastic as ever. I think it was the state of my mind at 2am partially sleep & heightened senses made me over react.
blink.gif

Jan 26, 2012 at 9:40 PM Post #220 of 4,690

Quote:

Thanks for the heads up!  I didn't even really have to negotiate, I just mentioned that someone on this forum said they purchased it for $115 from J&R today. :)

Glad you got the deal. You can't go wrong with that price.

Quote:
I just managed to seriously scare myself with these things !
The separation / imaging is crazy on the EPH-100's ! !
I was lying in bed in pitch dark listening to what I thought were relaxing tracks - Sade, Stevie Wonder, Lionel etc.
Than I distinctively heard sound of footsteps on my far left where the door was. I clearly followed the steps as they hustled across to the right of the bedroom. I shot open my eyes whilst I was still following the steps in the dark with my head. What! I thought.
Had I been broken into or was it the earphones ??!. For a split second I was really lost between reality & what my ears were telling me. I had to snatch out the headphones before I was sure what was happening. Unbelievable. .
I have had out of head experiences like this before whilst listening to music but nothing so surreal & vivid.
You're going to laugh when I tell you the track that had me scared - Dancing On The Ceiling - Lionel Richie lol . . I know. . Laugh as you may. Heightened listening in the dark did not help. Check it out for yourself in the dark. I totally was not expecting the clarity of steps in the opening of the track. You can follow every step going across you even with med quality mp3.
Moral of story is don't put Dancing On the Ceiling in your easy listening playlist for the night with EPH100's plugged in.

LOL. I am going to try that track tonight.

Jan 27, 2012 at 5:21 AM Post #221 of 4,690

Quote:
Oh, and sorry all for not posting details on impressions. I definetly will, but have been so busy trying out different genres that I've not had a chance
L3000.gif

I know that feeling, they certainly grab your attention.

Always nice to know how they fare, especially when someone has much higher end iem's like your miracles for example.

I keep my sleeks for detail, but 90% of the time it's done through these phones, they are just such fun to listen to.

Jan 27, 2012 at 9:12 AM Post #222 of 4,690
Got them today! Just 3 hours of burn-in (as the previous owner has used them for 2 hours at the most) and I can just say this: They are sooooo much better than the GR-07's ; )

Full comparison with GR-07, UM3X and SM3 soon.

(instrument separation is just insane as it is 3D imaging and I can't reveal more for now)

Jan 27, 2012 at 9:25 AM Post #223 of 4,690

Quote:
Got them today! Just 3 hours of burn-in (as the previous owner has used them for 2 hours at the most) and I can just say this: They are sooooo much better than the GR-07's ; )

(instrument separation is just insane as it is 3D imaging and I can't reveal more for now)

popcorn.gif

Jan 27, 2012 at 10:06 AM Post #224 of 4,690

Quote:

Woooot !

This is the comparison I have been waiting for
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back