Yamaha EPH-100
Jan 18, 2012 at 1:37 AM Post #137 of 4,690

Quote:
So how would you say they compare with the GR07?  I'm trying to decide between the two

popcorn.gif

Jan 18, 2012 at 2:35 AM Post #138 of 4,690

Quote:
With all the new reviews, i'm in - if I don't find anything interesting in Singapore, I'll order these on the way back to make sure they arrive when I'm gone =)  Now only 139 on Amazon!

I listen to 97% Trance/Progressive/Uplifiting/Female Vocals - and the other 3% is a mix of female vocalists (Sarah McLachlan, Sarah Brightman, etc.), JPop, KPop (ballads), and older (80s, 90s) rap and rock

it's 170 at farle in funan.

Jan 18, 2012 at 4:39 AM Post #139 of 4,690
I have read great things about GR07 & was also on short list.
If the GR07 can match or better EP700's separation & spatialisation I would buy it also.   

Quote:
So how would you say they compare with the GR07?  I'm trying to decide between the two

Jan 18, 2012 at 8:13 AM Post #140 of 4,690
Ok reading about this IEM is making me feel the itch again, something I thought would never happen since I got my GR07s. I'm so tempted the jump the gun and buy it even without knowing if it's going to be a good companion next to my Vsonics.

So far from what I've gathered, the EPH-100 seem to have less piercing highs, while still very clear, and more musical bass. But most importantly, the one thing that's got me salivating is the prospect of more 3D soundstage. The GR07 has a very wide soundstage, but it's quite 2D and I wouldn't call it immersive.

I guess I should wait a while for more impressions, my student budget should be grateful for it.

Jan 18, 2012 at 9:14 AM Post #141 of 4,690

Quote:
Ok reading about this IEM is making me feel the itch again, something I thought would never happen since I got my GR07s. I'm so tempted the jump the gun and buy it even without knowing if it's going to be a good companion next to my Vsonics.

So far from what I've gathered, the EPH-100 seem to have less piercing highs, while still very clear, and more musical bass. But most importantly, the one thing that's got me salivating is the prospect of more 3D soundstage. The GR07 has a very wide soundstage, but it's quite 2D and I wouldn't call it immersive.

I guess I should wait a while for more impressions, my student budget should be grateful for it.

I feel exactly the same as you,having the GR07 and wondering if it's worth upgrading to the EPH-100..  :/
What I'm afraid of is the sibilance,is it more or less than the EPH-100, or is there totally no sibilance at all? :D

Jan 18, 2012 at 11:47 AM Post #142 of 4,690
Well i certainly don't detect any with mine, though i do feel if they tuned the treble much more there would be.

They're just a very detailed, laid back iem and i love them to bits.

For me everything is in the right proportion.

Jan 18, 2012 at 12:09 PM Post #143 of 4,690

Quote:
I feel exactly the same as you,having the GR07 and wondering if their worth upgrading to the EPH-100..  :/
What I'm afraid of is the sibilance,is it more or less than the EPH-100, or is there totally no sibilance at all? :D

WaLaoEh Point me to a track notorious for sibilance & i will check it out for you.

I have them on again & going through genres other than trance/electro -superb. IMO outdoes TF10's & IE7.

Listened to some David Bowie, MJ & Adele so far  all good. China girl was an absolute treat.

I originally came to this thread looking for a IEM's to give a sound similar to AKG K240M (600ohms) with added bass. And I feel these come very close for an IEM & even better in some ways.

I was thinking of buying GR07/FXT90 additionally to EPH100's but the way the listening sessions are going I think at best I will be taking a sidewards or slightly upwards steps. From what i have read I don't think either of these two can better the EPH100's separation combined with immersive sound stage (forward vs 360) & small improvements in bass or clarity are not going to be enough.  

Next buy for me is going to have to  be a top tier as this feel like its on there heels already. It will have to have EPH100's non fatiguing, clear, &  immersive sound quality & lot more refinement to justify its top tier price.

Thanks Tienbasse for originally recommending these way back 
beerchug.gif

BTW - Using Foobar2000 Xonar Essence STX ASIO for listening sessions & IEM's do wonders on iPhone 4 with EQ off.

Jan 18, 2012 at 1:10 PM Post #145 of 4,690

Quote:
Well i certainly don't detect any with mine, though i do feel if they tuned the treble much more there would be.

They're just a very detailed, laid back iem and i love them to bits.

For me everything is in the right proportion.

+1

You were right about separation getting better with time. I'm probably 24 hours into it & it certainly does feel more immersive & bass more dynamic.

Nice track mate. One to get in HQ.

Try this one in HQ -[size=10.5pt]'Nuera – Green Cape Sunset'[/size] original mix. Its a gem on EPH100's. Possibly more of a buzz than 'Winter Stayed'

Its full of layers upon layers, crazy sub bass & highs to get your hair on end. Perfect demo track for these IEM's. So much going on. Absolutely phenomenal !

2.30 onwards will make you melt. Definitely have you smiling & bouncing in your chair like me !

Jan 18, 2012 at 1:26 PM Post #146 of 4,690
Nice track, isn't that on van buurens state of trance?

Good to know you are getting along well with them, mine are still getting better seems these are fantastic little micro drivers.

Today in the gym i swear i found myself picking out details i wouldn't normally have done.

So what is going on im not sure, but they're getting better all the time.

I 'almost' feel bad paying what i did for them lol.

Jan 18, 2012 at 2:14 PM Post #148 of 4,690
Olear friend !

I thought you might have got rid of the IE80's. Might you be keeping them now ?

Yep I'm very happy with EPH100's as you can tell. They are quite special to me & exceed my expectations. I was snobbing them for so long because of their low price but once i realised even the top tiers have their flaws I thought why not.

I think you are set on FXT90 as you have tried them already otherwise i would have said give these a shot. I will say If Trance/Electro is one of the main genres that you listen to than i highly recommend these over others around same price point. Not to say they are no good at other genres but the separation & spatial sound quality really lends well to this type of music.

Jan 18, 2012 at 2:27 PM Post #150 of 4,690

Quote:James444
Yamahas provide good dynamics and a moderate bass boost (but less than the FX700) for a bit of added fun. Overall their signature is slightly laid-back and mid-forward like. .

I would agree & say they are not completely flat & neutral & i personally prefer them this way. Little bass boost & slightly raised mids make it fun & stop me from having to mess with EQU altogether. Perfect for iPhone use. This way i can EQU down if i really had to which is always preferred than up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back