Yamaha EPH-100
Jun 1, 2015 at 3:59 AM Post #4,306 of 4,690
Am I the only one thinking the mids (pianos, strings, vocals) are recessed on the EPH-100?

IMO the phones are slightly V in sound shape which makes them kind of fun with EDM etc but mids may feel slightly recessed when listening to jazz, classical etc.

Also classical instruments not one of EPH100s strengths.
I always ended up pulling out IE7's when I wanted to hear classical genre at its best.

Jun 1, 2015 at 5:42 AM Post #4,307 of 4,690
Glad the recent orders you guys have made arrived safely. For anyone else reading this thread, remember we only sell the real deal (genuine EPH100 direct from Yamaha) - it really isnt worth taking the risk on anything else as you get a full 2 year warranty with genuine sets.

Its interesting what you mention about piano and all of the other comments about these on this very long thread. I've listened to all sorts of music on mine - there are usually musical styles some IEMs sound better with than others but I've found them to be fantastic across the board. Always interested to read others comments though, keep the feedback coming
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 1, 2015 at 7:37 AM Post #4,308 of 4,690
IMO the phones are slightly V in sound shape which makes them kind of fun with EDM etc but mids may feel slightly recessed when listening to jazz, classical etc.

Also classical instruments not one of EPH100s strengths.
I always ended up pulling out IE7's when I wanted to hear classical genre at its best.

Yeah I think they have too much bass which sacrifice the mids quite a bit but they have good clarity though but I find them a bit ''thin'' sounding on that..

Jun 11, 2015 at 4:31 PM Post #4,309 of 4,690
Hi guys,

I got these a few weeks ago and they are amazing! totally outclass the Shure 215s I used to have.
Great compliment to the DT 770 32ohms for portability.

By the way, the original buds they come with are a bit uncomfortable for me and they don't stay well in place with my ears (tried all the sizes and I am not too thrilled about them)

That being said, this guy on ebay (from another thread's reference) does these foam buds that will fit!

http://www.ebay.com/sch/lostearbuds/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_ipg=&_from=

I got these in medium and they fit my ears well!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/earbud-replacement-noise-cancellation-memory-foam-tips-SIZE-LARGE-11-6-mm-high-/161193872927?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2587e74e1f

Just a heads up if anyone is looking for foam buds like me!

Cheers!

Jun 19, 2015 at 11:15 AM Post #4,311 of 4,690
  Any chance to get a proper replacement for EPH 100 earbuds? I'm looking for the same exact 1:1 copy of the originals to remedy the loss of one of my beloved ones...

Your profile doesn't say where you're located but I bought a pair here. They're located in the US. Prompt (USA) free shipping. The only slight issue I had was the item's packaging was a little tattered but that didn't affect the contents and I'm pretty sure they're legit.

Jun 23, 2015 at 9:04 AM Post #4,314 of 4,690
I just read your post..

I think i might had that happen to me..

A few weeks ago i ordered a eph-100 with the only online seller in my country.

They arrived. The 1st day i was very happy..fantastic sound..neutral, good mids, i listened to the phones all day.

Then 2nd day: after listening 3 hours or so..left speaker failed/90% loudness gone. How? what? etc.

I put them away for an hour or so. Then everything worked again. After 2 hours or so: right speaker failed. twf? etc.

I guessed it had to be a manufacturing defect in the contacts/cables or so.

So..i had to return them.
I did not get a replacement (the seller could not see what was wrong with the phones).

I got my money back..But..i was frustrated..it was the best sound i had ever heard in i.e.'s.
I must have been experiencing  the same thing you did..
Why..is there always something..
In the mean time i bought a pair of senh. momentum, very nice phones, but lack of mids & neutrality/detail

they are no eph-100's..
I have also had the issue with the left and/or right channels going out. Its cause by moisture. I live in a hunid area in the southeast USA and sometimes if I walk outside on a hot day and then come back inside the cool house, condensation will immediately build up in the driver and make the sound fail. It comes right back though once it dries out for a little while. At first I was worried that even though the sound came back, that it may have cause damage or degraded the sound quality. So I purchased another brand new pair of eph100. I compared the brand new pair with the old pair that had been he moisture issue multiple times and the two pairs sounded exactly alike. So even though this moisture issue can be a pain in the ass it doesn't affect the quality of the iem. I also get this issue if I just wear them for extended periods and I have some moisture built up in my ear.

Also for those that say that the eph100 changes with burn in...I can say that's no true. My pair with hundreds of hours of play time sounds EXACTLY the same as the brand new pair I got.

And as far as durability goes...I think these are up to the standards of any other decent iem. I shove mine in and out of my pocket all the time and have had no issues with them treating them fairly roughly for a few months. I treated them with extra care at first but now since I have a brand new pair, sitting in a drawer for backup, I don't try and baby them anymore...and they have held up very well so far. The moisture issue is the only problem. Yes it can be annoying but it doesn't happen to often and it doesn't cause any damage to the iem.

Jul 3, 2015 at 3:24 PM Post #4,315 of 4,690
As a long time owner and admirer of eph100 I was rather disappointed when they eventually broke down.

I than spent time buying few different IEM's in hope to find something better if not equal to the eph100. As you probably know the eph200 turned out not to be the upgrade many had hoped for.

After lots of fails I have come across an IEM that i feel is a worthy superior replacement for the eph100 - Fidue A73.

It has slightly elevated deep textured bass, lush detailed mids and silky highs that are sparkly without being fatiguing or sibilant. These qualities combined with superb sound stage and imaging lend well to Trance/EDM music just like the eph100 did. In fact the A73 does all genres very well as I found out today with first tryout.

At a similar price level (£90/$150) it offers lot more than the eph100 ever did. To me it's what eph200 could have dreamt of being. Check it out if you have also been searching for a worthy replacement.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/771174/fidue-a73-hybrid-1dd-1ba-iem-impressions-and-discussion-thread

Jul 5, 2015 at 2:01 PM Post #4,316 of 4,690
@archy121 thanks for confirming my suspicion! Based on reviews and impressions on the A73, I knew it would be a good replacement or upgrade on the EPH-100.

I love my first pair of EPH-100, until the right driver died a few days after the warranty was over. So I bought my 2nd pair and I've had a love-hate relationship with it until a month ago. At times it sounded exactly the same as my first pair; and at times it sounded way too warm or muddled. I've repeatedly wondered if it was fake since the tips provided are flimsy to the point it makes them sound tinny (I had to use my old tips to sound like it used to).

Now that I've found the right tips for them, they sound exactly like the fun, musical EPH-100 I always knew! So my conclusion is that the old tips I used got too soft to the point where it doesn't seal well anymore. So the lesson here: keep trying other tips and get a GOOD SEAL!!!!

Now I'm using the tips from TTPOD T1. I loved the T1 at first, until I found out how harsh and terrible the treble really are. Shame, they would've complemented the EPH-100 really well for a neutral-bright IEM at a budget. Here's hoping the Soundmagic E80 will fill in that void for me.

Jul 7, 2015 at 2:57 AM Post #4,317 of 4,690

Your profile doesn't say where you're located but I bought a pair here. They're located in the US. Prompt (USA) free shipping. The only slight issue I had was the item's packaging was a little tattered but that didn't affect the contents and I'm pretty sure they're legit.

Eardio has had quite a few problems with selling fakes. Be very beware, from purchasing here. They deleted their old posts and just put a couple weird smiley faces but some people have quoted their old posts. 

The price tag is what has me the most worried. 

Jul 9, 2015 at 1:37 PM Post #4,318 of 4,690
Hello,

I've had the EPH-100s for a couple years now and also had issues with the headphones going barely audible in my right ear. Today, I used an eyeglass flat screwdriver to pry off the mesh covering the driver and behind this is a small hole in the center where the sound comes out.  There is also a plastic disc with adhesive on it that's between the driver housing and the mesh, and the adhesive holding the mesh and driver together.  I'm not sure if it was purely adhesive or a combination of ear wax, but the hole in the center was completely blocked.  I removed the blockage with rubbing alcohol and rubbed the adhesive off, and put everything back together.  I'm planning on putting some light adhesive on the edges to hold everything together later, but for now the right headphone went from barely audible back to fully functional.  Just an FYI for everyone that loves this pair and might be able to try this before they end up throwing out a $100+ pair of headphones that they really like.

Edit #1:  I will update this post with some pictures after I have a minute to do so, in the next couple days, per archy121.  It is useful to see what we're dealing with.

Jul 10, 2015 at 12:41 AM Post #4,320 of 4,690
  Hello,

I've had the EPH-100s for a couple years now and also had issues with the headphones going barely audible in my right ear. Today, I used an eyeglass flat screwdriver to pry off the mesh covering the driver and behind this is a small hole in the center where the sound comes out.  There is also a plastic disc with adhesive on it that's between the driver housing and the mesh, and the adhesive holding the mesh and driver together.  I'm not sure if it was purely adhesive or a combination of ear wax, but the hole in the center was completely blocked.  I removed the blockage with rubbing alcohol and rubbed the adhesive off, and put everything back together.  I'm planning on putting some light adhesive on the edges to hold everything together later, but for now the right headphone went from barely audible back to fully functional.  Just an FYI for everyone that loves this pair and might be able to try this before they end up throwing out a $100+ pair of headphones that they really like.

Edit #1:  I will update this post with some pictures after I have a minute to do so, in the next couple days, per archy121.  It is useful to see what we're dealing with.

That's really nice......as many would end up buying new ones by just avoiding self remedy like this and interested to waste money rather.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back