Yamaha EPH-100
Jul 15, 2015 at 10:45 PM Post #4,321 of 4,690
Finally get to post in this thread after following it for the last few months! Woohoo!

After thoroughly reading through from page 1, looking at images of real vs. fake EPH 100s, reading sound impressions, etc. I decided to take a dive a grab a pair that I fully expected to be fake from a seller on AliExpress. I figured that if they were at least as good as my guilty pleasure KZ Micro Ring, the 30 bucks would be well spent.

When they finally arrived, I knew right off that they weren't a legit pair. The packaging and accessories are a splitting image of those in this real vs. fake comparo (fyi, it's in Russian), soggy, useless tips and all (had a pair tear apart the first time removing them, lol);

http://konovalof.ru/yamaha-eph-100-original-vs-fake/

The earphone housings themselves, well they were actually a splitting image of the legit pair shown in those pictures. The craftmanship is excellent with the visible ridges being exceptionally clean cut and slender. This came as a bit of a surprise as I was expecting them to have wide ridges and look clearly like a counterfeit pair.

Since the included tips were not really usable, I swapped them out for the pair of mediums that came with my JVC HA-FRD60. I also tried them out with the stock medium tips that came with the KZ Micro Ring. To my surprise, this pair of EPH-100 sounds pretty darn good. They're not warm sounding, nor particularly competent in the low end, but they do pump out some amazing detail. The one feature of a legit pair of EPH-100 that I was intrigued with was their fantastic stereo imaging. Luckily this is fully intact with these replicas. For rock, jazz, and other genres that rely on live instruments and powerful vocals, these are beautiful. King Crimson's Red album sounds amazing for example. I wish they had more bass, however what is there is quick and accurate with zero bleed into the mids. The Micro Ring tips boost treble and mids due to a wider bore which sits closer to the driver. The JVC tips have a smaller bore which rests a couple mms from the driver and make the iem slightly warmer sounding, with a much appreciated however mild boost to both mid- and sub-bass. The JVC tips sound better, but the KZ tips are more comfortable and are easier to get a good seal with.

I have to say that this ended up being a pretty successful buy. For those that want a pair of EPH-100 but do not want to spend a lot, you could definitely do worse than to pick these up. They compare well with my favorite iems, such as the Dunu Titan 1, Sony AS800AP, and are (imo) better than any of the KZ offerings. The Micro Ring is pretty close though.

I bought them from this store: http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Original-EPH-100-Wired-3-5MM-Hi-fi-stereo-Earphones-Professional-ear-metal-noise-fone-de/32336688030.html

I did end up chatting with the seller about why I felt these were not legitimate. He was actually pretty nice to speak with prior to them arriving, as I had some issues with shipping. Since I quite liked the seller and the product, I wasn't going to open a dispute as they were easily worth the price, however I still wanted to hear what he had to say about the legitimacy of the product being sold. This was his explanation (which was very similar to one someone else posted earlier in the thread):

"This headset is produced in its original oem factory, but the package is from our factory.
Unable to get the genuine packaging, so we used an alternative packaging.
Because of alleged smuggling, so in packaging, we have dealt with the logo (the logos and L/R marking were not printed with the utmost of care), hope you can understand.
To see you like our product, very grateful."

Would I buy these again? Yup. Do I still want to try out a legitimate pair of EPH-100? Sure do. Overall a success I say. 
beerchug.gif

Jul 15, 2015 at 11:06 PM Post #4,322 of 4,690
Just so happens I got in a legit pair today. I like them!

Jul 16, 2015 at 7:56 PM Post #4,323 of 4,690

Congrats! I've been using my replicas (too good to call counterfeit, or fake) through my Plantronics Rig amp all day. They are pretty awesome with the extra power. Much cleaner sounding than what I'm getting out of my cell phone (trusty ol' Nexus S). With the bass boosted a touch they are pretty phenomenal. While I'm still in the "honeymoon" phase, I'm temped to put these up as my best purchase of the year...so far.

Jul 17, 2015 at 7:06 AM Post #4,325 of 4,690
Jul 17, 2015 at 8:09 AM Post #4,326 of 4,690
Amazon Warehouse Deals:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B00591GIMY/ref=dp_olp_used?ie=UTF8&condition=used

My set was "Used - Very Good" and repackaged, but they look basically new.  I've compared them to the fake vs real photos online and I believe them to be real.  They sound real.:)

Nice find! I'm starting to debate with myself that the seller I bought mine from was correct. Using them amped they sound way too good to be fake. I have also been a/Bing them with my Titan 1 and FXT90s. They're better than the Titans in some areas, mids most notably. More natural, detailed, and forward. I haven't really decided how they compare to the T90s. Got all three with me today at work :D

Jul 17, 2015 at 8:42 AM Post #4,327 of 4,690
Nice find! I'm starting to debate with myself that the seller I bought mine from was correct. Using them amped they sound way too good to be fake. I have also been a/Bing them with my Titan 1 and FXT90s. They're better than the Titans in some areas, mids most notably. More natural, detailed, and forward. I haven't really decided how they compare to the T90s. Got all three with me today at work
biggrin.gif

Haven't tried mine with an amp yet.  Will have to do that with my Cayin C5.  Ought to add a nice low end..  I don't think you are going to get that much done at work today
wink.gif

Edit: one of the main reasons I bought these was for isolation.  None of my other IEMs isolate that well (at least the ones I really like).  These are outstanding for isolation.

Jul 17, 2015 at 10:10 AM Post #4,328 of 4,690
Haven't tried mine with an amp yet.  Will have to do that with my Cayin C5.  Ought to add a nice low end..  I don't think you are going to get that much done at work today:wink: .

Edit: one of the main reasons I bought these was for isolation.  None of my other IEMs isolate that well (at least the ones I really like).  These are outstanding for isolation.

Definitely amp them when you have the chance. At least with mine, they sound much more lively and engaging. Similar to the AKG k553 amped vs. unamped. Pretty noticeable difference.

They do isolate pretty well. Much better than most of my other iems. Only the Sony XBA-2 I have isolates more. Makes sense though; dual BA, sealed.

Luckily I'm inbetween positions right now, so the quantity of work I'm putting out isn't being monitored, lol. I'm just being shuffled around to wherever ppl are needed. Perfect time to slack and test iems :D

Jul 17, 2015 at 11:59 AM Post #4,329 of 4,690
Hi guys,

I currently own a EPH-100 and Zero Audio Carbo Tenore (obtained recently within the past 6 months).

Many would agree that both of them have different sound signatures and their strenghts in their own right, and I would usually switch between these two when listening.

However, I find myself enjoying the EPH-100 more when I go back to it.

Can I have suggestions for an upgrade for the EPH-100 in a similar price range? I'm looking for an iem with a similarly laid-back sound, preferably not one that is over-the-ear.

Jul 17, 2015 at 12:26 PM Post #4,330 of 4,690
  Hi guys,

I currently own a EPH-100 and Zero Audio Carbo Tenore (obtained recently within the past 6 months).

Many would agree that both of them have different sound signatures and their strenghts in their own right, and I would usually switch between these two when listening.

However, I find myself enjoying the EPH-100 more when I go back to it.

Can I have suggestions for an upgrade for the EPH-100 in a similar price range?

Well I had a pair of EPH-100 (which I loved) before they failed and had to return them, amazon refund me the cost and after a lot of search I ended with the RHA MA750. These both iems have a similar sound signature, however there are clear differences betwen both, the treble and separation are clearly better with the Yams, even with the MA750s  better presence in the lower treble, also I feel the 750 have a little better sub-bass and soundstage, and overall a better sound than the EPH-100.

But you actually need to play with the included eartips or use some 3rd party tips(I had good results with comply ones) to get a decent isolation, wich is far good in the Yams, in return, the RHAs are way more confortable. Both iems are made with metal but the built quality in the RHA is superior (and came with a 2 year warranty).

In the end I'm satisfied with the RHAs, own them for more than a year without problems (way more than the 4 months that I last with the EPH-100 before they failed )and with a similar price I find them an interesting option for an upgrade.

Jul 19, 2015 at 10:09 AM Post #4,331 of 4,690
Jul 20, 2015 at 4:31 PM Post #4,332 of 4,690

How do you think they compare to the Titan? I have a pair on the way and have been looking at the Yam's for ages.

Cheers

Jul 23, 2015 at 8:16 PM Post #4,334 of 4,690
can anyone please tell me what the effects of covering it's vent with tape are? i think it should reduce bass and if you want to keep the subbass you can do a pinhole on the vent. 

Jul 23, 2015 at 8:51 PM Post #4,335 of 4,690
can anyone please tell me what the effects of covering it's vent with tape are? i think it should reduce bass and if you want to keep the subbass you can do a pinhole on the vent. 

Covered one vent on each and bass seemed less boomy but wonderful full range dynamics are still there. Covering both vents seems to have compressed dynamics.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back