Yamaha EPH-100
Apr 23, 2014 at 1:05 PM Post #3,841 of 4,690
If yours are genuine, than it looks like there its very difficult to detect a fake from  real ones. The changes could be caused by a change in production process?
Mine are only 3 months old and sound great, very detailed, sometimes bit bright but nothing to worry about.
Fake or not, only the sound quality can determine that.

I checked mine with a magnifying glass and on mine L and R are engraved, just like the Yamaha logo at the back.

I won't worry about the grooves, also have them but I can not see them with the naked eye.

Apr 23, 2014 at 1:29 PM Post #3,842 of 4,690
Hmmm now that plants a thought of doubt into my mind. Although on mine I can see the grooves quite clearly and the markings are also painted. That would be fine if there was no buzzing but I think it's safer to just return them and got my refund :p

Apr 23, 2014 at 6:58 PM Post #3,843 of 4,690
OKAY GUYS, I'M GOING FULL DETECTIVE MODE ON THIS S**T.

Here are 3 photographs of my pair: 

First to note, OBVIOUSLY the Yamaha logo's are decals. They are not engraved.

SECOND THING I NOTICE, 

emklap posted photographs of his EPH-100. Here are his....

And my pair....

So I'm going to ASSUME here........ The more grooves = authentic and in addition, the logo's would be engraved, and NOT painted on....... 

Apr 23, 2014 at 7:58 PM Post #3,844 of 4,690
OKAY GUYS, I'M GOING FULL DETECTIVE MODE ON THIS S**T.

Here are 3 photographs of my pair: 

First to note, OBVIOUSLY the Yamaha logo's are decals. They are not engraved.

SECOND THING I NOTICE, 

emklap posted photographs of his EPH-100. Here are his....

And my pair....

So I'm going to ASSUME here........ The more grooves = authentic and in addition, the logo's would be engraved, and NOT painted on....... 

There should be no variance in the thickness of each ring from one pair to the next. That concerns me most.

Apr 23, 2014 at 8:12 PM Post #3,846 of 4,690
There should be no variance in the thickness of each ring from one pair to the next. That concerns me most.

How many rings can you find on your pair phara0hseye? And does your pair have a groove/painted logo? Or just a painted/sticker/decal? 

nvm, you beat me too it!

Mine came new in the packaging from Amazon direct. I don't see grooves but I don't have a camera that can macro. The logos on mine appear engraved and have a line engraving filled in black.

Apr 23, 2014 at 11:20 PM Post #3,847 of 4,690
Well in addition to contacting eBay I also contacted Yamaha and they say "it sounds like they are displaying all the characteristics of a counterfeit product". and I definitely think the fineness of the grooves are they biggest giveaway. When compared to the original ones they become more obvious. The fakes are on the left and the real ones are on the right.
https://imgur.com/24bewyY

With the fakes you can see the grooves very clearly. Running your nails over the grooves you can feel definitive bumps. On the real ones however even though the are grooves they are very faint almost non-existent. You can however still feel it is not perfectly smooth if you run your nails over it but its pretty darn close.

Apr 24, 2014 at 9:13 AM Post #3,848 of 4,690
  Well in addition to contacting eBay I also contacted Yamaha and they say "it sounds like they are displaying all the characteristics of a counterfeit product". and I definitely think the fineness of the grooves are they biggest giveaway. When compared to the original ones they become more obvious. The fakes are on the left and the real ones are on the right.
https://imgur.com/24bewyY

With the fakes you can see the grooves very clearly. Running your nails over the grooves you can feel definitive bumps. On the real ones however even though the are grooves they are very faint almost non-existent. You can however still feel it is not perfectly smooth if you run your nails over it but its pretty darn close.

Great comparison photo. This really highlights side by side the difference in the grooves. 

The seller agreed for me to return them so I did, and got a full refund + shipping back.

There literally isn't anywhere I can even buy an Authentic pair of EPH-100. Amazon.com wont ship the item to Canada, and for some bat **** crazy reason they are still selling for $269.00CDN on Amazon.ca. None of "Yamaha's Authorized Dealers" have them. 

Anyone need some new in package silicone single flange AUVIO ear tips? 

Apr 25, 2014 at 10:00 AM Post #3,851 of 4,690

Here is what it looks like. 5 pairs, all different size + cord manager. 

I don't mind shipping to Europe... if you pay. PM me if your interested. 

I paid about $20.00 including shipping. 

The attached link is a great resource for IEMs by type. As a Basshead it has many recommendations at various price points.

http://theheadphonelist.com/earphone-buyers-guide/

Apr 28, 2014 at 3:56 AM Post #3,853 of 4,690
We're sorry and concerned to hear of the suggestions that some of the pairs of EPH100s that are selling on eBay from non-dealers are fakes. For UK customers, its also worth bearing in mind that if you order from abroad, you also run the risk of being charged separate customs charges that may not be indicated in the listing.

We buy our stocks all from Yamaha directly, so the best advice we can offer is to buy from a reputable dealer. We're the exclusive UK retailer for this model and our eBay store name is hifi_heroes

Apr 28, 2014 at 4:09 AM Post #3,854 of 4,690
  If yours are genuine, than it looks like there its very difficult to detect a fake from  real ones. The changes could be caused by a change in production process?
Mine are only 3 months old and sound great, very detailed, sometimes bit bright but nothing to worry about.
Fake or not, only the sound quality can determine that.

I checked mine with a magnifying glass and on mine L and R are engraved, just like the Yamaha logo at the back.

I won't worry about the grooves, also have them but I can not see them with the naked eye.

Well, uh oh. Mine which is 2 years old seems painted. I could think that the older version were painted while the newer ones are engraved.

Apr 28, 2014 at 1:56 PM Post #3,855 of 4,690
Mine seems painted, and I consider them as genuine.
If they are sound difference between models, I'm almost sure it can't be attributed to "fake" models (well, if you disregard the tips. Some people might resell with different tips).  Also consider that the earwax can really go deep inside these iems, despite the metal mesh, and can affect the sound (reason of the muted side experienced by some).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back