Yamaha EPH-100
Feb 6, 2012 at 3:19 AM Post #767 of 4,690

Quote:
It's aluminum. It's still fairly strong while keeping the weight down. It's also more expensive then stainless steel. 

It's aluminum??? What. Everything I read said they were stainless steel.

Guess I should have read from the one site that would be sure to have the correct information: yamaha.com

hmm... a little disappointed to learn they're aluminum.

Feb 6, 2012 at 3:24 AM Post #768 of 4,690

Quote:
It's aluminum??? What. Everything I read said they were stainless steel.

Guess I should have read from the one site that would be sure to have the correct information: yamaha.com

hmm... a little disappointed to learn they're aluminum.

How so? Aluminum is a very hard and strong metal. I hope you're not thinking of soda cans : P. Although the significantly lower density of aluminum means it can be more easily scratched by say steel objects, it would still be pretty hard to destroy physically(scratching does not equal crushing or denting). I'd rather have the lighter aluminum then the much heavier steel. They actually went with the more expensive material(in regards to stainless or other alloys of steel vs. aluminum) for the housing.

Feb 6, 2012 at 3:36 AM Post #770 of 4,690

Quote:
No, it's brass!

According the Product Bulletin:

"The body is made of high quality brass, similar to that used in trumpets, with helps to minimise sound loss."

http://tinyurl.com/7pcp6kd

http://usa.yamaha.com/products/audio-visual/headphones/eph-100_silver_w/

WHAT THE screw!? It clearly says Aluminum on their website! But you're right, it says brass on that PDF....maybe they updated the model?Hell, there's even a website saying titanium....Why are they confusing us!?

wait, I'm pretty sure that product bulletin is old and they changed it to an aluminum body. 

Feb 6, 2012 at 3:51 AM Post #771 of 4,690
Titanium is not an option, too expensive given the quantity needed for these IEMs.

They seem a bit light to be brass (denser than aluminium), and the PDF looks like it was created before the actual launch, it doesn't show the final product.
The Yamaha logo on the real IEMs is black, not white, and they look much less shiny than on the brochure.

I'm 90% sure they're just aluminium, with a hardcoat to prevent scratches and oxidation. It is just easier to mass-produce this way.
I could check at my work, but I'd have to damage the IEMs to collect a piece of metal below the hardcoat.
frown.gif

Feb 6, 2012 at 4:00 AM Post #772 of 4,690

Quote:
Titanium is not an option, too expensive given the quantity needed for these IEMs.

They seem a bit light to be brass (denser than aluminium), and the PDF looks like it was created before the actual launch, it doesn't show the final product.
The Yamaha logo on the real IEMs is black, not white, and they look much less shiny than on the brochure.

I'm 90% sure they're just aluminium, with a hardcoat to prevent scratches and oxidation. It is just easier to mass-produce this way.
I could check at my work, but I'd have to damage the IEMs to collect a piece of metal below the hardcoat.
frown.gif

Yeah, I wasn't suggesting it could be titanium. I was just pointing out the vast amount of misinformation being presented about these earphones. Side note, I thought aluminum oxidized to form aluminum oxide, a fairly stable and non reactive material? Would it really need a coat of a different material to prevent further oxidation? Note, I'm not arguing with you. I'm just curious since you're a material scientist. 

Feb 6, 2012 at 4:13 AM Post #773 of 4,690

Quote:
How so? Aluminum is a very hard and strong metal. I hope you're not thinking of soda cans : P. Although the significantly lower density of aluminum means it can be more easily scratched by say steel objects, it would still be pretty hard to destroy physically(scratching does not equal crushing or denting). I'd rather have the lighter aluminum then the much heavier steel. They actually went with the more expensive material(in regards to stainless or other alloys of steel vs. aluminum) for the housing.

From my experience with aluminum devices, the material is definitely more prone to denting than stainless steel. Stainless steel can take a much harder beating than aluminum.

You can clearly see in that pic small dents on the edges. That wouldn't happen if it were made with stainless steel.

Whatever though, it is what it is. I take care of my things regardless, so they're never going to look like a kid used them. I just hope I'm happy with the sound. After all, that is what's most important.

Feb 6, 2012 at 4:28 AM Post #774 of 4,690
Aluminium is fine to me is light and don't crash if i put some thing above EPH, a book for ex.

I have read here in forum some plastic high-end $400 opens like eggs.

if this aluminium build question, is the major concerns for some users, to me is good sign, bad was sound issues.

Sent from my HD7 T9292 using Board Express

Feb 6, 2012 at 5:32 AM Post #775 of 4,690

Quote:
 Would it really need a coat of a different material to prevent further oxidation? Note, I'm not arguing with you. I'm just curious since you're a material scientist. 

Aluminium is much softer then stainless steel, as Kloan pointed out.
It is actually fairly easy to scratch, hence the hardcoat. They could have anodized the aluminium, which is the most common surface treatment, but then the finish would be mat, not glossy.
And "natural" aluminium oxidation would make the material look "dirty" (no shine, it would look like dust that you can't remove, definitely not appealing).

The thing is aluminium is much easier to process than stainless steel, especially small pieces such as IEM casings. I would love to have stainless steel IEMs, but it is not that common yet.

Feb 6, 2012 at 7:08 AM Post #777 of 4,690
Is your Fuze RockBox'ed? TIA.

Quote:
One thing that surprised me today.

I ran these straight from the hp on my fuze today, and they're actually hard for it to drive.

Ok it managed fine but i had to crank the thing, never expected micro drivers to be like that at all.

Btw does anyone know of any replacement tips?

I asked audio affair but no such luck, i might fire an email to yamaha later on.

Feb 6, 2012 at 7:16 AM Post #778 of 4,690
Luxurious design thanks to brass cutting process and nickel-chrome plating
The body is formed of precision cut brass and covered with nickel-chrome plating that is resistant to scratching and corrosion. Both the design and texture convey the sense of luxury. Tangle-resistant cable features smart cable holder. When not in use, the EPH-100 utilizes a smart cable holder to prevent tangling of the cable. In addition, the cable is made of material that resists kinking or curling – essential when carrying the earphones in a bag or pocket.

Sounds tough enough to me :)

Feb 6, 2012 at 8:57 AM Post #780 of 4,690
I think initial Yamaha intended make EPH-100 in a more expensive material, but maybe for maket price reasons make it in aluminium.

For that reason it was initial tag at 199$

Here is a pic, that maybe was the initial prototype of EPH-100 .

http://hifispot.net/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/yamaha_eph100.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back