Yamaha EPH-100
Feb 5, 2012 at 9:52 PM Post #751 of 4,690

Quote:

The Yama is simply felt CHEAP stuff in my hands based on my assessment of the build quality (not the sound or price). My assessment is based on my GUT feeling instead of any non-destructive testing usually performed by material scientists using sophisticated equipment.

This is an attempted against my intelligence.

Feb 5, 2012 at 9:57 PM Post #752 of 4,690

Well, I'll repeat this:

The Yama is simply felt CHEAP stuff in my hands based on my assessment of the build quality (not the sound or price). My assessment is based on my GUT feeling instead of any non-destructive testing usually performed by material scientists using sophisticated equipment.

P.S. I am NOT responsible for your being angry from reading the above statement. :tongue_smile:

Just...just stop typing. Please.

Feb 5, 2012 at 10:08 PM Post #753 of 4,690

Quote:
lostid, it may help if you would elaborate on why they feel cheap. Is it because the earpieces are light? They feel solid to me, and look like they could take some abuse. Only thing im worried about is the cable, but even then it's better than some of the other iems ive had. To me, the Yamahas dont feel cheap, just simplistically designed I guess.

The metal can easily get dents from normal usage in my opinion. I posted a photo a few pages back showing the dents with the word "Yamaha" worn out. Of course my son could have been more careful in using it. But we know we have the housing bumping here or there from time to time just from taking them off. So I believe it's not all his fault. The metal seems not in good quality.

The cable also seems to be of low quality to me.

Feb 5, 2012 at 10:10 PM Post #754 of 4,690

Quote:
Just...just stop typing. Please.

How funny is that dude. Actually I don't type, I use siri from my iphone.
wink_face.gif

Feb 5, 2012 at 10:25 PM Post #755 of 4,690

Quote:
The metal can easily get dents from normal usage in my opinion. I posted a photo a few pages back showing the dents with the word "Yamaha" worn out. Of course my son could have been more careful in using it. But we know we have the housing bumping here or there from time to time just from taking them off. So I believe it's not all his fault. The metal seems not in good quality.

The build quality all around is from what I have bought in the past, above par. The only IEMs I have bought with a better build are the IE8's , which are  well above average in build quality. If I were to rate my IEMs from 1 to 10 in overall build with 5 being the average I would say,

IE8 10/10
Super.Fi 5 EB 7/10 (only because of the removable cord, otherwise they were rather fragile, went through 3 sets in 5 years)
Yamaha 7/10
NE-7M - 5/10
Radius DDM - 3.5/10

These ratings are weighted in relation to the IE8s

Feb 5, 2012 at 11:00 PM Post #756 of 4,690

Quote:

The pictures you posted had scratches, not dents. See here:

865x637px-LL-763093ad_1618356642LL.jpeg

This poor iem looks like it's been subjected to abuse. Headphone protective services will probably come collect hem soon. Even the tips look filthy. I'm sure your son is a good kid, but he obviously doesn't know how to care for stuff. I wouldn't be surprised if he's still in the 6th grade.

Again, scratches not dents, and horrible care. Anything that can scratch metal will certainly scuff off a logo. Also, the cable is good quality, sir. It may not be superb, but it is good. I've had cables ranging from the kevlar reinforced shure cables, to the horrible monoprice 8320 cable. Nothing is wrong with the cable.

So far my son has not complained about the Yama which is the good news. The bad news is the Yama sounds pretty much crap to me when I throw at it with some symphonies.

Right. This is coming from the guy who started a thread saying that his old blackberry headset sounds better than his EX600. Link here: http://www.head-fi.org/t/586997/am-i-so-bad-in-identifying-sound-quality

Quote:
How funny is that dude. Actually I don't type, I use siri from my iphone.
wink_face.gif

Great. So then I can tell you to shut up. I hate when people are obnoxious for no reason. If you were articulately expressing whatever problems you have with the EPH, I would be patting you on the back. But here you are, a grown man with a child, acting petty. We've told you several times that the issue has to be your son't fault as no iem could look like that within the space of a month if it was being cared for, not to talk of one that is made completely of metal. Maybe when you stop being so "Bad at identifying sound quality" like you thread title suggests, you can join the conversation with the rest of us. Comments like this:

"The Yama is simply felt CHEAP stuff in my hands based on my assessment of the build quality (not the sound or price). My assessment is based on my GUT feeling instead of any non-destructive testing usually performed by material scientists using sophisticated equipment."

simply don't belong on head-fi.

Rant over

Feb 6, 2012 at 12:01 AM Post #758 of 4,690
Just to break some tension here...
The Yamaha build quality is not amazing, but I see nothing wrong with it at all, and I'm pretty sure they were build a particular way with the particular materials to serve their purpose as far as weight, sound, and whatever else was considered.
With the above stated, I have yet to find anything to compare to the build quality (the housing) of the HJE-900, which are pretty much bulletproof. Having paid $75 for them brand new from J&R, just further proves that cost vs build quality does not always compute. At the end of the day what matters most is the sound, and I think most owners on here will agree that the EPH are money well spent as far as that goes.
Lastly: the lifetime of a product will greatly depend on the owner and the appreciation for the money spent on said product, which the case of the abused set in the picture demonstrates.

Feb 6, 2012 at 12:11 AM Post #759 of 4,690

Quote:

The build quality all around is from what I have bought in the past, above par. The only IEMs I have bought with a better build are the IE8's , which are  well above average in build quality. If I were to rate my IEMs from 1 to 10 in overall build with 5 being the average I would say,

IE8 10/10
Super.Fi 5 EB 7/10 (only because of the removable cord, otherwise they were rather fragile, went through 3 sets in 5 years)
Yamaha 7/10
NE-7M - 5/10
Radius DDM - 3.5/10

These ratings are weighted in relation to the IE8s

No question about the build quality of the IE. I think it's not fair to compare to the IE given the price difference. However, since I also own a pair of EX600 in the same price category, I see how the build quality differs greatly between the two. That has influenced my judgement of build quality on the 100.

Look I don't attack other people for different opinions as I tried to present mine so the future buyers could be more informed. It was not my intent either to bash the EPH or sway people's opinions.

It is beyond my belief that people would get angry about my opinions and attack me on personal level now.

Feb 6, 2012 at 12:20 AM Post #760 of 4,690
Let's talk about something really important that can potentially help many:

How did K1n0n3 get them from JR for $75?

Feb 6, 2012 at 1:50 AM Post #763 of 4,690

Quote:
The pictures you posted had scratches, not dents. See here:

865x637px-LL-763093ad_1618356642LL.jpeg

I see dents.

Surely they were subject to abuse, but stainless steel wouldn't normally be damaged so easily.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back