Yamaha EPH-100
Feb 6, 2012 at 9:10 PM Post #796 of 4,690
I have not heard the Yamahas but have FXT90, MG7 and IE80. 
To me the FXT90 has the most energy (or in your face) and the IE80 the most laid back. 
I'm finding the MG7 is right in the middle.   Seems like the EPH-100 are similar to the MG7 in terms of degree of how forward they are. 

Feb 6, 2012 at 9:57 PM Post #797 of 4,690
If that's true, there's a good chance I'll hate them since I hated the Atrio MG7.

I honestly don't understand how one person can compare these to those, and another to the UM3X when each IEM is FAR different from each other..

Really irritating....

Feb 7, 2012 at 12:05 AM Post #799 of 4,690
Can someone post a pic of wearing it over the ear please? I'm just wondering how would it look like, it seems the IEM will protrude like the TF10.

edit: forgot to say PLEASE :p

Feb 7, 2012 at 2:54 AM Post #800 of 4,690

Quote:
If that's true, there's a good chance I'll hate them since I hated the Atrio MG7.

I honestly don't understand how one person can compare these to those, and another to the UM3X when each IEM is FAR different from each other.....

What did you dislike on the MG7's?

Feb 7, 2012 at 3:04 AM Post #801 of 4,690

Quote:
What did you dislike on the MG7's?

I found them blaring... the upper mids were way too forward.

I absolutely hate upper mids, so I sure hope the forward mids in the Yamahas are in the lower frequencies.

Feb 7, 2012 at 3:35 AM Post #802 of 4,690
They mostly are. The meat is around 300-2000Hz.

Quote:

I absolutely hate upper mids, so I sure hope the forward mids in the Yamahas are in the lower frequencies.

Feb 7, 2012 at 4:12 AM Post #803 of 4,690

Quote:

Maybe I like them, will give them a try. Willing to sell yours? Concerning the Yamahas, I don't think the mids are fatiguing at all. Forward yes, but maybe in the lower frequencies.

Feb 7, 2012 at 7:56 AM Post #804 of 4,690
I'm almost getting a pair from audioaffair
popcorn.gif

edit: If ever, it will take a long trip: UK > SA > PH :p Anyway, my friend in SA will come home April
biggrin.gif

Feb 7, 2012 at 8:06 AM Post #805 of 4,690
Hi miow, what about a direct comparison to K2? How's the bass, midrange and treble between the two?

Quote:
Mids are forward but in a way that vocals sound wonderful, not exagerated, not too close (right distance), with exceptional timbre and they're not affected by any mid-bass-hump/coloration as it happens a bit with the UM3X and way too much with the SM3 and many other IEMs that put more weight on the mid-bass (the EPH100s put more weight on the sub-bass). I would say they have the best vocals of all the IEMs you can see from my sig. For so many times I have the impression that the singer is performing right in front of me, live. It's so beautiful and involving. Right next to the EPH-100's are the Vsonic GR-07's, followed by the UM3X and right next to the Westone 3. Then Sony EX1000, then SM3, then Miles Davis Tribute and finally the IE8's (too much mid-bass hump on these).

Hope this helps.

Feb 7, 2012 at 9:22 AM Post #807 of 4,690

Quote:
Hi miow, what about a direct comparison to K2? How's the bass, midrange and treble between the two?

Well, my friend, all I can tell you (but this is just my opinion mostly due to sound signature preference) they don't compare. For me the Yamahas wins hands-down. The j-phonic K2 SP sound radioish to me, I have never heard anything like that before. I tried all the tips you can imagine and nothing worked, also I got a deep seal, great isolation, so it was not a fit/seal issue, but their sound sig that I definitely don't like. Treble is very good, mids were EXCELENT (but not better than the UM3X or Yamaha EPH-100) and bass was lacking as I like bass-heavy phones. The radioish sound I can't explain, but think it is the (maybe too) forward treble + forward mids - bass. I didn't like them at all. But I did not like the Sony EX1000 too (too lean), but I prefer them to the K2 SP (although by a slight margin). The Yamahas have much, but MUCH more bass/sub-bass, excelent forward mids and medium-good treble. But they have an impressive instrument separation which make them ideal for Metal. Also superb for EDM music (Trance, Dub-step, etc). Not so good as the UM3X or GR-07 for jazz due to the treble extension/decay, but good enough. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back