Yamaha EPH-100
Jan 27, 2013 at 5:29 PM Post #3,061 of 4,690
I have owned all 3, and currently have the X10 and SE215. The EPH100 has the best overall SQ and best presentation of the 3. However for rap and hip hop, as well longevity, I would recommend the SE215. They have punchier bass and a more forward vocal presentation. I find the X10 to be the best of the 3 for electronic music. The EPH100 is the most natural sounding but I think the bass impact might be on the light side for a hip hop lover; they will sound great, no doubt, but the 215 has a stronger build, replaceable cables, and is just one step behind sonically. If pure sound quality is all you care about, go with the EPH or X10, but if you want an IEM that will sound almost as good and probably last a lot longer, go with the Shures.
Hi I am really thinking about getting the eph100 my understanding is that they have a really good bass. good mids. And OK highs .I listen to hiphop,rap,R&b,and dub step I use a Fiio E6 amp and iPod nano 6th gen with 320kps.The only thing stopping me is the fit and comfort of these what is it like is it really bad or what.Also I had monster turbines and was very happy with them so how do they compair to the eph100.Also these are some other IEM I have been looking at ` klipsch image x10 and shure se215`what are they like which would you choose

Jan 27, 2013 at 6:18 PM Post #3,062 of 4,690
I don't think, eph-100 is light on bass at all. Never heard anyone saying that before.. Anything with more than eph-100 bass would be bloated in my opinion. Are you sure you were getting good seal?

Jan 27, 2013 at 6:44 PM Post #3,063 of 4,690
Quote:
I don't think, eph-100 is light on bass at all. Never heard anyone saying that before.. Anything with more than eph-100 bass would be bloated in my opinion. Are you sure you were getting good seal?

yeah , the bass of eph-100 is already emphasized
EDIT: he was speaking of bass impact only, maybe he is looking for a cleaner bass.

Jan 27, 2013 at 6:57 PM Post #3,064 of 4,690
Actually I never said the EPH was light on bass, its definitely emphasized over flat but doesn't quite carry the punch, power or body that the SE215 is capable of producing. Personally I would take the SE215 over the EPH100 for the genres he mentioned.

Jan 27, 2013 at 7:06 PM Post #3,065 of 4,690
I  don't think the eph-100 are perfect for any particular genre, but they have a seducing sound signature.
Although, yesterday I  was listening  to some Gregorian chants on bed, with the eph-100, and this was awesome.

Jan 28, 2013 at 12:26 AM Post #3,066 of 4,690
Quote:
I have owned all 3, and currently have the X10 and SE215. The EPH100 has the best overall SQ and best presentation of the 3. However for rap and hip hop, as well longevity, I would recommend the SE215. They have punchier bass and a more forward vocal presentation. I find the X10 to be the best of the 3 for electronic music. The EPH100 is the most natural sounding but I think the bass impact might be on the light side for a hip hop lover; they will sound great, no doubt, but the 215 has a stronger build, replaceable cables, and is just one step behind sonically. If pure sound quality is all you care about, go with the EPH or X10, but if you want an IEM that will sound almost as good and probably last a lot longer, go with the Shures.

Quote:
Actually I never said the EPH was light on bass, its definitely emphasized over flat but doesn't quite carry the punch, power or body that the SE215 is capable of producing. Personally I would take the SE215 over the EPH100 for the genres he mentioned.

Maybe I understood wrong?

Jan 28, 2013 at 3:27 AM Post #3,067 of 4,690
Lol, backtracking...

EPH love Trance!! xD

Jan 28, 2013 at 9:14 AM Post #3,068 of 4,690
Hi all. I just got my pair of these and had a question about the fit. If I get a good fit/seal in my ear, is it right/normal for the sound to be completely suppressed if I push the buds further into my ear?

Jan 28, 2013 at 9:20 AM Post #3,069 of 4,690
Quote:
Hi all. I just got my pair of these and had a question about the fit. If I get a good fit/seal in my ear, is it right/normal for the sound to be completely suppressed if I push the buds further into my ear?

Slightly muted, but not suppressed for me. I  think it's because of some air pressure on air eardrum.
Just don't push them too much, once you  get seal.

Jan 28, 2013 at 11:16 AM Post #3,071 of 4,690
Notice the qualifying phrase "for a hip hop lover." Most people who listen to hip hop like bigger bass and forward vocals; the EPH does have bass that is bigger than flat, and is very well extended for the price, but it doesn't hit as hard or carry as much body as the SE215. Personally I would not choose the EPH100 as an IEM for hip hop, it feels more geared towards music that likes a slightly warm tonality but is smoother, less in-your-face, like jazz or blues. Its instrument separation is excellent for the price, and sounds very nice with some electronic and even classical. But hip hop usually benefits from a sound signature with powerful bass and forward vocals, which are the two most stand-out characteristics of the SE215, and neither of which are really strong points of the EPH100, which has good bass, but its not what I would call powerful, and has great vocal presentation too, but not as intimate. The EPH is the better phone overall, has more detail, better separation, etc. But the SE215 is basically designed for vocal-centric music with enhanced bass, which is exactly what he's asking about. It's also going to last at least twice as long in the hands of your average listener, given the apparent resolution of their connector problems, very sturdy housings, and kevlar reinforced replaceable cables, whereas the EPH100 has an iffy cable that is springy and not replaceable.

Quote:

Maybe I understood wrong?

Jan 28, 2013 at 11:33 AM Post #3,072 of 4,690
Well the EPH100 is certainly not a bad choice. I would also look into the Atrio MG7, its bass is pretty unbeatable. If you want to spring a coupe extra bucks, Turbine Golds or the Miles Davis Tributes would probably blow your mind, huge bass on both and very forward mids on the Tributes; there's a decent refurb deal right now from Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Monster-Miles-Tribute-In-Ear-Headphones/dp/B002TLUJB8

And a good normal price for the Golds:

http://www.amazon.com/Monster-Turbine-Audiophile-Speaker-ControlTalk/dp/B002NTPLXM/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1359390984&sr=1-1&keywords=turbine+gold

If you don't want to break the bank, the Spider Realvoice is another one to look into, nice big bass with very good vocals.

http://www.amazon.com/Spider-International-E-EAPH-0001-realvoice-Audiophile/dp/B004ZME370/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1359390575&sr=1-1&keywords=spider+realvoice

Joker compared it favorably with the SE215 in his review thread, it has nice hard-hitting bass with very good vocal texture.

I've also heard really good things about the Hisound Audio Popo, but haven't tried them myself so I won't say any more.

I've only auditioned most of these, so I can't comment on build quality, but I think they would both be better fits for your genres than the EPH100.
Ok thanks for help but i HATE the way the se215 go over the ear instead of straight in what pair would you go for that goes straight in ear. i listen to rap hiphop dubstep my songs are 320kps use ipod with FIIO E6 

Jan 28, 2013 at 12:14 PM Post #3,073 of 4,690
So how would you say the monster turbines compare to the eph100.As i was very happy with them.Also i asked on another forum the same question and got this answer Quote:
Hi I am really thinking about getting the eph100 my understanding is that they have a really good bass. good mids. And OK highs .I listen to hiphop,rap,R&b,and dub step I use a Fiio E6 amp and iPod nano 6th gen with 320kps.The only thing stopping me is the fit and comfort of these what is it like is it really bad or what.Also I had monster turbines and was very happy with them so how do they compair to the eph100.Also these are some other IEM I have been looking at ` klipsch image x10 and shure se215`what are they like which would you choose

I would go for the EPH100 (emphasized low end with good sub-bass, well-balanced mids with some warmth, and nicely extending but very smooth highs, a bit shallower than others, but the best of all of the above). They are very comfortable and the fit works well. Haven't heard any complaints about them aesthetically. Klipsch X10 is a bit more comfortable IMO because it's just so sleek. Sound is pretty good on them (large bass quantity for a BA, warm mids, smooth but shallow highs) but I'd still choose the EPH-100 over them in terms of sound. I do not recommend the SE215 because they aren't very comfortable, and the extension is not very impressive. In conclusion, go for the EPH-100. Huge improvement over Turbines

so I am a bit confused 
confused.gif
 thanks anyways

Jan 28, 2013 at 12:58 PM Post #3,074 of 4,690
today i bought eph100 and right from the box the right channel is ****ed up. sometimes it works fine but most of the time it has lover volume.

even when everything seems ok i can make it bad again with one touch to the back of the phone.

well, this is pathetic

Jan 28, 2013 at 1:18 PM Post #3,075 of 4,690
Quote:
today i bought eph100 and right from the box the right channel is ****ed up. sometimes it works fine but most of the time it has lover volume.

even when everything seems ok i can make it bad again with one touch to the back of the phone.

well, this is pathetic

Might be a problem with the  headphone connection of your player. Otherwise your eph-100 is defective.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back