Yamaha EPH-100
Jun 9, 2012 at 2:21 PM Post #1,891 of 4,690
Quote:

Comparing with customs? OMG!!! Thats dangerous territory. You can make revive a old war (fotm, "don't exaggerate" - lol, opening of new appreciation threads - "recent developments", etc)
biggrin.gif

Well i did and look how it ended up.

Im saying nothing
tongue_smile.gif

Jun 9, 2012 at 4:42 PM Post #1,893 of 4,690
Where is a good place to buy them from? have my headphone money ready to be spent and i think i have settled on buying the Yamahas over Vsonics/Shures/ a few others lol

I bought mine from Amazon. As I am a member of Amazon Prime, I received them the second day after placing my order.

Jun 10, 2012 at 12:19 PM Post #1,894 of 4,690
I am a long time audiophile but haven't been into IEM that much until I got TDK BA100 for $35 on Newegg.  These sound so good I thought I'd check out some higher end IEMs.

I am 67 years old and generally listen to stuff like The Wall (My all time favorite), Supertramp, Bob Seger, and Fleetwood Mac. I never listen to classical but I like lots of detail and superb female vocals.  I am not at all a bass head but I like to hear the tight thump of the bass drum in rock music.

I have found the EPH-100s and the Phiaton PS-200 at about the same price.  Can anyone tell me how they compare.

Jun 10, 2012 at 4:19 PM Post #1,895 of 4,690
Go for the EPH, you can't get disapponted
basshead.gif
i'm addicted to them, i'm no longer able to listen to my favourite music with cheaper iem (i don't know if this is a PRO or CON 
tongue.gif
)! Let us know your opinions 
wink.gif

P.S: don't spend much more time thinking, sound quality over price of the yamaha is astonishing
rolleyes.gif

P.S 2: reading some reviews on Phiaton i found that some people, that don't call themself bassheads, felt the lack of bass frequencies; in this area you will not get disappointed by the EPH since i think that these are very well balanced!

Jun 10, 2012 at 8:20 PM Post #1,898 of 4,690
Quote:
How do you compare the sound of the EPH-100 to the sound of the ATH-CKM500.  Which one do you like better?

As much as I like both, I'd have to go with the EPH-100's.  It seems to have better balance yet retains the fun signature of the CKM500's but on a lesser degree.  You couldn't really go wrong with either IMO.  

Jun 10, 2012 at 9:17 PM Post #1,900 of 4,690
Quote:
Quote:
How do you compare the sound of the EPH-100 to the sound of the ATH-CKM500.  Which one do you like better?

As much as I like both, I'd have to go with the EPH-100's.  It seems to have better balance yet retains the fun signature of the CKM500's but on a lesser degree.  You couldn't really go wrong with either IMO.  

Did you give your ATH-CKS77 the 100 hour required burn in?  How do they compare to the EPH-100?  Please elaborate, if you can.

Jun 10, 2012 at 11:06 PM Post #1,902 of 4,690
Quote:

Did you give your ATH-CKS77 the 100 hour required burn in?  How do they compare to the EPH-100?  Please elaborate, if you can.

Not sure if you want to compare the CKM500's or the CKS77 to the EPH but here's the gist of it for the 3.  The EPH has 300+ hours, CKS77's have 80+ hours and CKM500's have around 50+ hours.
Overall I prefer the EPH-100's, then CKM500 and CKS77.  
The bass really doesn't compare.  CKS77's are a bass monster.  Thick and abundant.  The 500's have plenty of bass but it's more sub-bass and seems to stay put better the 77's do.  The EPH's bass sounds similar to the 500's but it's softer or has less of an impact.  I like the 500's bass the most here because it has more presence in the music without overpowering it like the 77's do.  As for the EPH, I actually would not prefer it to have more, it sounds great as is with the rest of the spectrum of this earphone.
Vocals sound better on the EPH and 500's.  I think the 500's are more forward or upfront than the EPH.  The 500's have some of the best vocals I've heard for an earphone with this sort of a fun signature.  The 77's aren't bad, just not as good as the other two.  The thing about the AT's is that the 'sss' in vocals are still present.  I've had this with all AT's that I've owned.  These don't bother me as much as some others I've heard but it's there.  I would vote 500's for the mids with EPH as a close second.  
Treble region for the two AT's have nice sparkle.  Sounds more lively than the Yamaha's.  But I hear more detail in the Yam's over the other two.  The 500's seem to give the most energetic treble that sounds better than the 77's and the Yam's just has the right amount of treble presence.  I prefer the treble of the 500's the most here.
Soundstage seems quite good on all three but the AT's seem to have a deeper stage here.  The Yamaha's are definitely wider and possibly just as deep if not just slightly shy of the AT's. 
Overall, it seems I should favor the 500's since it wins out in all categories but the Yamaha's do everything right and it's blended together very well.  Like I said earlier, it's very balanced yet it's fun.  As much as I like bass, the 77's just don't compare to the other two.  It gets fatiguing after awhile and only keeps me interested for a short while.  The 500's pulls me in immediately and puts me in euphoric state and keeps me there.  Just so lush and fun to listen to.  The Yamaha's are beautiful, romantic and throws in some fun at the same time.  It handles all different genres of music better than most other earphones I've heard.  I do not write reviews because this is how it comes out, so hopefully you can get a feel for it, if not, my apologies.  

Jun 11, 2012 at 12:33 AM Post #1,903 of 4,690
Quote:
Quote:

Not sure if you want to compare the CKM500's or the CKS77 to the EPH but here's the gist of it for the 3.  The EPH has 300+ hours, CKS77's have 80+ hours and CKM500's have around 50+ hours.
Overall I prefer the EPH-100's, then CKM500 and CKS77.  
The bass really doesn't compare.  CKS77's are a bass monster.  Thick and abundant.  The 500's have plenty of bass but it's more sub-bass and seems to stay put better the 77's do.  The EPH's bass sounds similar to the 500's but it's softer or has less of an impact.  I like the 500's bass the most here because it has more presence in the music without overpowering it like the 77's do.  As for the EPH, I actually would not prefer it to have more, it sounds great as is with the rest of the spectrum of this earphone.
Vocals sound better on the EPH and 500's.  I think the 500's are more forward or upfront than the EPH.  The 500's have some of the best vocals I've heard for an earphone with this sort of a fun signature.  The 77's aren't bad, just not as good as the other two.  The thing about the AT's is that the 'sss' in vocals are still present.  I've had this with all AT's that I've owned.  These don't bother me as much as some others I've heard but it's there.  I would vote 500's for the mids with EPH as a close second.  
Treble region for the two AT's have nice sparkle.  Sounds more lively than the Yamaha's.  But I hear more detail in the Yam's over the other two.  The 500's seem to give the most energetic treble that sounds better than the 77's and the Yam's just has the right amount of treble presence.  I prefer the treble of the 500's the most here.
Soundstage seems quite good on all three but the AT's seem to have a deeper stage here.  The Yamaha's are definitely wider and possibly just as deep if not just slightly shy of the AT's. 
Overall, it seems I should favor the 500's since it wins out in all categories but the Yamaha's do everything right and it's blended together very well.  Like I said earlier, it's very balanced yet it's fun.  As much as I like bass, the 77's just don't compare to the other two.  It gets fatiguing after awhile and only keeps me interested for a short while.  The 500's pulls me in immediately and puts me in euphoric state and keeps me there.  Just so lush and fun to listen to.  The Yamaha's are beautiful, romantic and throws in some fun at the same time.  It handles all different genres of music better than most other earphones I've heard.  I do not write reviews because this is how it comes out, so hopefully you can get a feel for it, if not, my apologies.  

No need to give apologies.  Your explanation is quite clear.  Thank you.

Do you have or have you had all the items (107) in that list?

Jun 11, 2012 at 3:17 AM Post #1,905 of 4,690
@DannyBai

Can you compare EPH-100 and MG7 in detail?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back