Y'all killin' me...
Jul 16, 2010 at 12:38 AM Post #47 of 65

I am perfectly content in my mid-fi world. I've listed to some high end stuff before (both speakers and headphones), and I can sort of appreciate it, but anything that start eeking into the same range as my mortgage payments will make me pause. Diminishing returns and all that. I would much rather have an awesome dinner out once a week instead of just one slightly more awesome dinner once a month.

Jul 16, 2010 at 12:49 AM Post #48 of 65
Be grateful that there's yet one more thing in life that calls out to you.  Life is short, and full of knocks and degradations.  I have no taste for jewelry or wine.  Caviar doesn't call out to me.  I own no boats or planes or fancy cars.  My clothing is nothing worthy of a second look.

But my PS1000 and the HD800 take me to places I've never been.  I've got a ticket to ride.  You've got yours.  Let's hear it for being happy about something.

Jul 16, 2010 at 7:24 AM Post #49 of 65

Quote:
Be grateful that there's yet one more thing in life that calls out to you.  Life is short, and full of knocks and degradations.  I have no taste for jewelry or wine.  Caviar doesn't call out to me.  I own no boats or planes or fancy cars.  My clothing is nothing worthy of a second look.

But my PS1000 and the HD800 take me to places I've never been.  I've got a ticket to ride.  You've got yours.  Let's hear it for being happy about something.

Very well put and I'd agree entirely.  There are those who spend huge sums of money on extravagant clothes, vacations to Europe or Exotic places, shoes, boats, jewelry, or so many other hobbies. 

With headphones...I figure I'm getting out very cheap!!  I put my HD800s or RS-1s on or my new STAX and BAM....close my eyes and I'm in the studio with Rush or Porcupine Tree, traveling back in time to a memory, a place, where all my youthful feelings come rushing back...the scents, and other human input devices at that time or place surrender their data...good lord above how could one put a price tag on this.  Of course, there is a limit on the spending but If you do it right, it should NEVER interfere with your life or your families' and if it does then, yes, you need to re-evaluate.

Enjoy now... and don't be afraid to hop on and go for a spin, it's a blast, I promise.

Of course, it's no crime to live vicariously through those on the forum, too.  That's a great form of entertainment, too. 

One point I cannot stress enough for all newcomers...if you partake in the headphonia, please, keep the volume down and take care of your ears...if you damage your hearing, you will never get it back...another reason to get a fantastic phone...low volume listening with all of the details.

As the great Michael Jackson said, "nothing but Love".

Jul 16, 2010 at 8:28 AM Post #50 of 65

Quote:
You haven't lived until you have all gold cables and you should use only FLAC files because your mp3 files lose 1kbps every year.

Let this be a warning.

I learn something new every day! 

Funny thing is that I have no idea whether you're kidding or not.  I remember when there was a green marker that improved the fidelity of CD's.  It was pretty popular for awhile.

Jul 16, 2010 at 9:58 AM Post #51 of 65
Sometimes cassette tapes just sound better. Nice vintage, grainy sound with acoustic music=marvelous.  Makes this hobby seem redundant sometimes.

Quote:

I learn something new every day! 

Funny thing is that I have no idea whether you're kidding or not.  I remember when there was a green marker that improved the fidelity of CD's.  It was pretty popular for awhile.

Jul 16, 2010 at 11:20 AM Post #52 of 65

Amen buddy, amen!

Jul 16, 2010 at 8:16 PM Post #53 of 65
Quote:
One point I cannot stress enough for all newcomers...if you partake in the headphonia, please, keep the volume down and take care of your ears...if you damage your hearing, you will never get it back...another reason to get a fantastic phone...low volume listening with all of the details.

This is the best health tip of the headphone world.
biggrin.gif

May I say it too.
biggrin.gif

please, keep the volume down and take care of your ears...if you damage your hearing, you will never get it back...
biggrin.gif

I love to repeat this statement for every headfier out there.
biggrin.gif

Jul 17, 2010 at 11:54 PM Post #54 of 65

Quote:
Sometimes cassette tapes just sound better. Nice vintage, grainy sound with acoustic music=marvelous.  Makes this hobby seem redundant sometimes.

If you like distortion (the grainiess)..yeah sure. Much like the preference of sound signature vs. sound fidelity in headphones, the same applies to media (i.e. the good old vinyl vs. digital debate).

Jul 18, 2010 at 2:20 AM Post #55 of 65
*shrug* Of course we can enjoy that, it's like the Holga/retro craze in photography. Absolutely nothing wrong, but it's a different school of fidelity with different purposes. 

Jul 30, 2010 at 9:07 PM Post #59 of 65
for me, yes, but I paid the 1989 retail price.  this is a unique headphone both in its design, materials used and sound.  I don't think there will be anything like it.

that itself is why it commands the price it does today.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back