Y'all killin' me...
Jul 13, 2010 at 9:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 65

davidsnot

New Head-Fier
Amazing how an addiction grows. 

I used to be OK with the little white headphones that came with the iPods.  Stick them in my ears and away I went.

A buddy (You da man) turned me on to some Phiaton PS-500's, which started my downward slide. 

I have now evolved into using a dedicated PC for winamp, with the RubyTube plug-in.

Gave away my little white headphones.  Can't stand them anymore.

Now I'm burning for an amp, and a nice DAC to go with my iPod.  Please tell me there's hope for me yet...

And thanks for the good info on products!  Real nice forum here.

Jul 13, 2010 at 10:05 PM Post #2 of 65
I don't really get why this is so addicting. I read threads in this forum and think "I need to buy myself new phones or a new amp" but then I listen to my setup and I'm perfectly satisfied with what I have. I recently spent $250 on an used amp which probably only gives me a 5-10% increase in SQ, yet I can't bring myself to get rid of it. Go figure 
confused.gif

Jul 13, 2010 at 11:21 PM Post #3 of 65
Welcome to Head-Fi and so very sorry about your wallet.

Nope, you're doomed.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Seems a lot like how I started. "$100 on headphones is a lot that's all I'll ever need" 6 months later "Maybe I could swing buying some RS1s or a new amp or a dac oh maybe a nicer cable...". Leave if you still can I'm beyond hope. 

Jul 13, 2010 at 11:32 PM Post #4 of 65
So true. I started with just a set of MS1s. By the time I graduated high school I had over $1500 in headphone gear. Go figure.

Jul 13, 2010 at 11:34 PM Post #5 of 65
DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMED 

No, theres no hope, death is the only way out I hear.

Jul 13, 2010 at 11:49 PM Post #7 of 65
Once you listen for the details, you're totally screwed. When I get a new piece of equipment (which until lately, was not often, I've needed some self-indulgence lately) I listen for anything new in the details. There's no going back to crappy sound. 

Jul 13, 2010 at 11:55 PM Post #9 of 65
I thought I would just get a pair of KSC75s and MS-1s and be done. 3000 dollars worth of headphone gear later..

Jul 14, 2010 at 2:22 AM Post #10 of 65

Quote:
No, theres no hope, death is the only way out I hear.

The question is: should they bury me with headphones on, or build speakers into the casket?

Jul 14, 2010 at 2:57 AM Post #12 of 65
It never ends....soon those $10 little white apple earbuds will turn into $1100 JH13's - dooooomed!

Jul 14, 2010 at 3:54 AM Post #14 of 65
I'm at the end of my journey...I hope.....I think... *looks around*

2 1/2 years ago I was just wondering about Audio Technica AD500's....
Don't waste $$$ on cables. Honest, bro. A lot has changed in 2 1/2 years, 'audio intelligence' and life wise, mostly all for the positive though :)

Jul 14, 2010 at 5:41 AM Post #15 of 65
Im in the repression stages of my audiophilia.  I had almost every single expensive big name headphone and amp you can name and not a single one really made me happy.  I kept buying and collecting, they would sit on the shelves and collect dust.  

I recently sold off my entire stock and went back to fun and engaging headphones.  I actually have nothing but my AD700s, my JVChas700, and stock earbuds.  I just ordered some fischer audio eterna rev2.  

I grew sick of neutral, thats not what audiophile sound should be.  I am very against this label now.  All the major sets that are 1,000+ are like that.  Boring, dull, lifeless, but clear and huge sounding to a level bordering supernatural lol.  But i now prefer the cheaper stuff cuz they are more fun and user friendly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back