Xonar Essence ST Sneak Peek
Jul 11, 2009 at 8:02 PM Post #332 of 1,781
oh is the ST released already... So now is the question get this or wait for the Hometheater Hd card lol
have they fixed the bitperfect yet and is there any problem with running analogue and bypassing the amp section for cleanest signal to external amp?

Jul 11, 2009 at 8:16 PM Post #334 of 1,781
Quote:

Originally Posted by ROBSCIX /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How many users currently own ST's?

For the opamps swappers, I soldered up some great new modules the other night and will post some results soon.

i own the ST included the H6 daughter board
icon10.gif

Jul 11, 2009 at 8:22 PM Post #335 of 1,781
hey fine art! how do you like the ST on headphones? I was using the STX built-in HP amp w/o crossfeed, but it's mandatory for me on the ST...otherwise the stereo stage feels really strange and very fatiguing
redface.gif

but w/ the naive crossfeed plugin in foobar, it's really fantastic
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 11, 2009 at 8:47 PM Post #336 of 1,781
Quote:

Originally Posted by fine art acoustic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i own the ST included the H6 daughter board
icon10.gif

Yes, not to many have the ST Deluxe model yet. How are your tests coming along?
Drop me a PM and let me know how the tests are progressing and we can compare notes.

Jul 11, 2009 at 9:53 PM Post #337 of 1,781
here's a whole bunch of RMAA measurements I've done yesterday on my ST : MEGAUPLOAD - The leading online storage and file delivery service

when it doesn't say "HP" it means it's on the lineout, and when it doesn't say "Monster" it means I used a pretty lousy cable.

but even w/ the Monster cable, crosstalk is only -95 dB on the lineout, when it's actually -108 on the HP out(mid setting)
confused.gif

that's w/ the stock op-amps, and the ST also measured worse than the STX in the two booklets shipped w/ the cards..

Jul 11, 2009 at 11:13 PM Post #338 of 1,781
hmm so you get better values when running through the amp section? I guess crosstalk should be as much - as possible?

also how do you read .sav files?

Jul 12, 2009 at 8:22 AM Post #340 of 1,781
How much was the daughter board?
Are there any places selling this card yet that would ship to Australia?

Also, I'm new to these forums, I usually hang around the PC Audio section on OCAU and got reffered to this site the other day..
I have Logitech Z-5500s hence why I've been waiting for something that can do 5:1, but due to the err.. quality? of the speakers, will I notice much difference in quality over the ST + H6 daughter board and say.. An Auzentech Forte or Prelude?

Another thing, I've just recently started ripping my music into .FLAC, but in the past due to limited hard drive space I've been ripping my music into anything from 192kbps to 320 kbps .mp3 files.. Will I just notice no improvement with these songs, or will the card pick out all the little nuances and make the music unbearable to listen to?

Cheers
biggrin.gif

Jul 12, 2009 at 9:49 AM Post #341 of 1,781
Quote:

Originally Posted by leeperry /img/forum/go_quote.gif
-95 is not bad I guess, the Claro Halo also gives -95...but the STX gives 101 on the line out, and 108 on the HP out(identical to the ST) : Two in One: Asus Xonar Essence STX Sound Card Review (page 7) - X-bit labs

but the ST has a killer clock, that the STX doesn't...and man, does that clock make a hell of a difference
smily_headphones1.gif

you need RMAA to read SAV files

hmm what difference does a killer clock make in term of sound? Speak english for gods sake
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 12, 2009 at 10:36 AM Post #343 of 1,781
Thanks got a bit wiser by that
smily_headphones1.gif
So I take that as you preferr the ST overall then?

Jul 12, 2009 at 10:43 AM Post #344 of 1,781
most definitely! but my brain wasn't prepared for such a highly detailed stereo image tbh
petrus75.gif

anyway, after adding a bit of crossfeeding in foobar to make the sound more human-compliant(
biggrin.gif
), it's fantastic!

I switched the ST and STX several times, and the STX had a messy stereo image in comparison....at least in my experience. YMMV IMHO applies more than it ever did before here
smily_headphones1.gif

I wanted to try it on my KRK Rokit, but apparently my t-amp is busted...I will order a more sturdy one today(HLLY TAMP-20).

PS: BTW, I never really understood how you were mixing headphones and glasses....you literally put the glasses "legs" on top of your HP
confused.gif

Jul 12, 2009 at 11:16 AM Post #345 of 1,781
Yup that is the only way to do it. on top of the headphones but inside the headband of the headphones of course. Otherwise every headphone turns into a Grado
smily_headphones1.gif

I ordered the ST now. can´t wait to see how it stacks up to my receiver, Elite Pro (which will hopefully go out the window) and my Keces DAC. I wonder if the Keces have this clocking stuff will have to look it up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back