Xonar Essence ST Sneak Peek
Jul 5, 2009 at 9:48 PM Post #316 of 1,781
as long as you don't hear the ST, you don't really realize how bad phase distortion is on the STX...you can sleep on your 2 ears pinky pinky, so to speak
images

Jul 5, 2009 at 11:16 PM Post #317 of 1,781
Quote:

Originally Posted by Shahrose /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I guess. I knew it'd be a waste of time replying to him. The funny thing is I was just offering sincere advice, but he misunderstood and got defensive.

Yes, waste of time.
If you look at the measurments of both cards they are identical. If there is any audible difference between them, the clocking circuit is responsible.

Jul 6, 2009 at 1:03 AM Post #318 of 1,781
From my own experience, I can say that clocking can make an audible difference though I'm not sure how measurable such a difference might be, at least with something like RMAA. A more detailed analysis tool is probably necessary.

Jul 6, 2009 at 2:57 AM Post #319 of 1,781
Are there any respectable online retailers stocking the ST ins the States? My basic searches have come up short. I'll have my LCS see if they can order it for me too, but an option for an online retailer would be great.

Jul 6, 2009 at 10:21 AM Post #320 of 1,781
Quote:

Originally Posted by BoilermakerFan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Are there any respectable online retailers stocking the ST ins the States? My basic searches have come up short. I'll have my LCS see if they can order it for me too, but an option for an online retailer would be great.

x2

Just as I was about to purchase the STX, I hear about this. Any online retailers out there? A quick search doesn't show anything.

Jul 6, 2009 at 2:00 PM Post #323 of 1,781
Quote:

Originally Posted by GWorlDofSPACE /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I asked asus about the possibility of upgrading the clock chip on STX. They said that they will contact me when they have the right answer.

What you would be upgrading on the STX is the XO.
It has 3 connections IIRC...

Jul 6, 2009 at 5:23 PM Post #326 of 1,781
Quote:

Yes I would but does it make any sense? Do you know which of the pins are for what?

Yes. I know which pins are for what signal. The XO is a very simple component and you are very far from "Playing god with yur soundcard" well, I guess it could seem that way if you have no knowledge of electronics.
ksc75smile.gif

Ask your questions through PM so we can let the thread get back to the ST.

Jul 6, 2009 at 9:51 PM Post #327 of 1,781
one thing that's rather strange is that if you compare the measurements booklets for the ST vs STX....they're actually a little worse on the ST for SNR/THD+N and crosstalk
confused_face_2.gif

I believe they're both available on the Asus website if you wanna check it out.

but well, the stock JRC2114D really don't help, either...I guess, or not
atsmile.gif

anyway three 49720NA on the ST is a good compromise, me like
myrkul.gif

Jul 7, 2009 at 9:03 AM Post #330 of 1,781
Quote:

I got a message from asus and its telling that there are no or should be no differences in sound quality comparing ST and STX!

to the average joe, w/ $10 speakers...there will be no audible difference!
beerchug.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back