Xonar Essence ST Sneak Peek
Jul 12, 2009 at 8:05 PM Post #361 of 1,781
Modern soundcards would definately push the Z-5500's to their limits for sound quality bit I think they might end up being the weak link using a newer card.

What are you using right now?
You would notice a difference from a onboard or cheaper card to a modern card. Maybe look around one of the other forums for guys with the setup your considering.

Jul 12, 2009 at 8:24 PM Post #362 of 1,781
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skobb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ahhh ok.. So I guess I'd be waiting for a bit for the ST Deluxe? Are there plans for the daughter board be sold seperately or should I wait until the ST Deluxe package comes on the market?

maybe they will be bundled, but Asus has made it clear(even on the ST retail box) that the daughter board will be sold separately.

Jul 12, 2009 at 8:47 PM Post #363 of 1,781
what is this st deluxe? what differ from the st if not the daughter card???

Jul 13, 2009 at 8:12 AM Post #365 of 1,781
Hi I am new here. I have learned much by reading Head-Fi for a few days now, but one thing I can't figure out. I've seen people output signal to another amp, are they using the line out or analog out? If you use the analog out, does this mean the signal is being amped twice?

Another question: do you think they will make a daughter card to include an optical-in? I wonder if ST will be better than Astro Mixamp for Xbox 360.

Jul 13, 2009 at 10:50 AM Post #366 of 1,781
There is the line-out and Headphone out. Many use headphone out for their cans and some use Lineout for their speaker amps. -then again a few use their headphone amp for their speaker amp.
The H6 Daughter card does NOT have a S/pdif input.

Jul 14, 2009 at 5:01 AM Post #368 of 1,781
I'd like to see the ST have an addon card with the same DAC's as the L/R as the ST
smily_headphones1.gif
Call it ST Premium or something..

Jul 14, 2009 at 5:27 PM Post #369 of 1,781
Quote:

Originally Posted by ChinaJay /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Does anyone know where the Xonar ST can currently be purchased? Thanks!

I am pretty sure currently they are avialable in Europe in a few places and should be making their way to the states and Canada very soon.

Jul 14, 2009 at 5:30 PM Post #370 of 1,781
Quote:

Originally Posted by soulrider4ever /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'd like to see the ST have an addon card with the same DAC's as the L/R as the ST
smily_headphones1.gif
Call it ST Premium or something..

The DAC's on the H6 aren't bad at all.
The DAC on the ST has a SNR of about 124dB and the H6 of 120dB.

You never know they may produce a different board for use with this card. The pin header is there so the designers have options.

Jul 14, 2009 at 11:00 PM Post #371 of 1,781
Quote:

Originally Posted by ROBSCIX /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There is the line-out and Headphone out. Many use headphone out for their cans and some use Lineout for their speaker amps. -then again a few use their headphone amp for their speaker amp.

Unfortunately I know very little about opamps and line-out levels. I'm going to use the ST in a 5.1 surround setup, with an external amp. In this situation, can anything be gained by switching op-amps? Or is this an interesting option for headphones only?

Jul 14, 2009 at 11:54 PM Post #372 of 1,781
Quote:

Originally Posted by Blak /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Unfortunately I know very little about opamps and line-out levels. I'm going to use the ST in a 5.1 surround setup, with an external amp. In this situation, can anything be gained by switching op-amps? Or is this an interesting option for headphones only?

You can get excellent gains with the ST and H6 daughter card as you can swap opamps for EVERY channel.
You can use high grade opamps for your fronts, rears and sides. You can also use specially chosen opamps for the Center and subwoofer.

Actually, the surround setup allows to most configuration options for opamp swappers.
Here have a look at these pics I added to the thread awhile back and you can see the options.
Xonar Essence ST Deluxe 7.1
H6 DAC Expansion Card

Hope this helps.

Jul 15, 2009 at 2:03 AM Post #374 of 1,781
Quote:

Originally Posted by ROBSCIX /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The DAC's on the H6 aren't bad at all.
The DAC on the ST has a SNR of about 124dB and the H6 of 120dB.

You never know they may produce a different board for use with this card. The pin header is there so the designers have options.

That would be sweet if they did
smily_headphones1.gif
I currently own the Xonar D2X, I'm assuming this card would be a significant upgrade in SQ, or am I assuming wrong?

Jul 15, 2009 at 2:07 AM Post #375 of 1,781
Yes, according to measurments the STX/ST are superior to the older D2(X) cards.

The H6 card is a very open design also so it woudn't take much for some quick modifications such as some black gate caps or others.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back