Xiaomi Hybrid IEM Thread (Piston successor)
Jan 3, 2016 at 4:05 AM Post #496 of 856
  ps - I'm curious that some postings here are stating that these headphones are very dark sounding, that doesn't sound right at all!  Mine has a very airy treble and very detailed.  The dark sounding pairs, perhaps you got a fake?  Or the BA driver is defective (and only going on the Dynamic driver - hence the darker signature)?

It's feedback like this that gives me hope. :) I'm still waiting for the units I bought from Gearbest, hoping it was just stuck due to the holiday rush. Anybody here from the Philippines? How long does it usually take for gearbest items to reach you?

Jan 3, 2016 at 12:30 PM Post #497 of 856
Anyone here knows the size of the Dynamic driver that Xiaomi used for the Hybrid IEM?  I'm curious as I'm comparing it directly against the PSB m4u4 Hybrid IEM as well.  Very VERY different sound signature where the PSB is extremely balanced and the Xiaomi is a V shaped signature.  In anycase, PSB is running on a 8mm Dynamic driver, anyone has any ideas about the size of the Xiaomi drivers?

Jan 3, 2016 at 12:57 PM Post #498 of 856
  Anyone here knows the size of the Dynamic driver that Xiaomi used for the Hybrid IEM?  I'm curious as I'm comparing it directly against the PSB m4u4 Hybrid IEM as well.  Very VERY different sound signature where the PSB is extremely balanced and the Xiaomi is a V shaped signature.  In anycase, PSB is running on a 8mm Dynamic driver, anyone has any ideas about the size of the Xiaomi drivers?

300$ against 20$ is a bit lopsided ain't it mate.
No actually, the Xiaomi Hybrid (Yes I bought it from the actual xiaomi website, no chances of it being fake and it passed the authenticity test) is rather dark than even V-shaped until today. I'm selling it off because it's such disappointment. 

Jan 3, 2016 at 1:34 PM Post #499 of 856
  300$ against 20$ is a bit lopsided ain't it mate.
No actually, the Xiaomi Hybrid (Yes I bought it from the actual xiaomi website, no chances of it being fake and it passed the authenticity test) is rather dark than even V-shaped until today. I'm selling it off because it's such disappointment. 

Hahah..yeah, lopsided, but fun nonetheless.  Giant killer the Xiaomi is not, but still a fun pair of headphones! 

As for your dark pair vs. my V shaped pair, perhaps I got the fake! Hahaha

Jan 3, 2016 at 10:06 PM Post #500 of 856

I actually disagree.  Been listening to a pair of these for a few weeks now, for the price, they are actually very enjoyable.  Sure, they do have a V shaped sound signature, very detailed (clear top end) and good low end with a slightly recessed mid end, but they do make listening quite enjoyable.  The mids being a little recessed, tends to open up the soundstage a little as I found the singers or solo instruments are sitting a little further away from me.  The details served up is quite astonishing for such a cheap pair of headphones, I'm hearing things that I never knew existed in well recorded music.  I'm also picking up lots of details pertaining an instrument being played, strummed, plucked etc.  As for the bottom end, it may not be as tight, and not as detailed, but it doesn't bleed into the mids too much, thus, making it a very clean headphones as compared to many of its competitors in this price class.  In fact, I think these outclasses any of the Beats and Bose earphones easily.

I would say that these are definitely worth their asking price, and probably can compete with headphones twice to three times its cost.  Anyway, just my 2 cents.

ps - I'm curious that some postings here are stating that these headphones are very dark sounding, that doesn't sound right at all!  Mine has a very airy treble and very detailed.  The dark sounding pairs, perhaps you got a fake?  Or the BA driver is defective (and only going on the Dynamic driver - hence the darker signature)?

When Inks did a FR curve of his Xiaomi hybrid sample, the major dip was at about 6.5kHz. The two that ClieOS tested, a Xiaomi and a 1More rendition of the 'same' hybrid, the major dip is higher up, at about 9kHz. I _think_ the measurement techniques are similar. These are pronounced dips in both cases, and certainly audible. Speculation from here regarding the reason can only be that; it should be addressed by the mfg, I think, at least to make it consistent. The 6.5kHz story I have heard in reverse in these parts about other IEM; something about a resonance?? Above those, the high frequency response is NOT lacking. My forays into equalization on the set I have so far suggest mine benefit from a boost around 8kHz, and some people with whistling teeth don't sound worse when I do it with a ~bit of restraint. The end result, in my experience to date, is clear plucking, breathy breaths, distinct separation of voices and instruments, and very respectable balance from bottom to a VERY well extended top. Some recordings are getting a bass boost from me now (Michael Franks?), but that's probably the Auvio buds I'm trying now. Looking for a better seal, to help stabilize the bottom end. Ridiculous volume doesn't seem to hurt them. I'm dressing up my RE0 again, this is becoming a real battle! For those who have the Xiaomi pro and sit on or near the fence, try a boost of EQ near 8kHz (or 6kHz??), and see what it does for you. Hey - I'd hate to see anyone waste their $20. Just sayin... 8-Þ

Jan 4, 2016 at 2:46 AM Post #501 of 856

Same here, they even seemed to have too much treble/sibilance for me out of the box, but that vanished rather quickly and I do like them now (they were very cold when I first tried them, maybe that contributed). Still, I already ordered a few Piston 3 Dazzle Edition ones because of my trouble with the kevlar-coated cables...

Jan 4, 2016 at 6:21 PM Post #506 of 856
never heard of that site so i did some googling. one of the sites i came across had some discouraging comments
http://www.danviews.com/gearbest-com-must-reads-about-the-chinese-online-gadget-store/

have you ever ordered from gearbest?

Jan 4, 2016 at 9:59 PM Post #507 of 856
  like what? this is my first time buying from a chinese company. i usually get my stuff from amazon or a brick and mortar store and i don't see these offered at any of them

I bought my first pair from Amazon. They went from $29 to $35 in the day I thought about it, along to 'only 3 left'... Not in stock now, but they will come back. A tiny URL for you: http://tinyurl.com/zekkxsy. Brick and Mortar? I don't think you'll find these at Best Buy or, what were they called, Radio Shack? HiFiMAN is Chinese, but you can find their Songbird at Best Buy Market. Just sayin'... Anyway, there was a series of posts earlier in the thread about where you might buy a set, so another Tiny URL for you: http://tinyurl.com/ztqa2zu. I think gearbest.com looks good, I've given them some money via Paypal, but I didn't see them in that list. I considered penonaudio.com, but the price was close to what I paid at Amazon - quite a bit higher, all told, than other sites. As presently built, any set you buy may need some EQ to sound their best, but if you approach them with open ears and an open mind, you may find yourself wondering why you spent so much on those Monster Pro Turbines... :wink:

EDIT: OK, it was hidden as a Spoiler [huh?], but a newer list for Xiaomi sellers can be found a little later than the one listed above. Again, Tiny URL gives: http://tinyurl.com/h8458tu. Happy hybrid hunting!

Jan 5, 2016 at 12:57 AM Post #510 of 856
dang they're out of stock. weird that they call it the

Original Xiaomi Piston Earphone Ii Headphone Headset Earbud with Remote & Mic for Smartphone

what the hell is "li"

i've been searching for Xiaomi in ear headphone iv this whole time

Users who are viewing this thread

Back