XDuoo X3 DSD 24Bit / 192KHz CS4398 Chip Lossless Music Player
Dec 4, 2017 at 10:12 AM Post #4,711 of 5,194
very well? allow me to doubt it..
besides of 100ohms output impedance, it uses tiny coupling caps.. have you checked the graphs of frequency response when paired with some phones?
Walnut V2 (by @hakuzen ): http://www.head-fi.org/t/800208/#post_13107087 (again..)
you can check there FR response of headphones output when no load: huge bass and treble roll-off.
and then, you can check there the even greater bass roll-off when using 16 and 32ohms phones, and the enormous peaks and dips when using some phones with balanced armatures.
to me, walnut doesn't drive most phones properly..

This is really interest. I just put my HD600 into Walnut V2 and it surprised me, V2 can drive 600 very well. I'll do some comparison with my Explorer + a desktop SS amplifier later. Thanks!

Dec 4, 2017 at 9:00 PM Post #4,712 of 5,194
This is really interest. I just put my HD600 into Walnut V2 and it surprised me, V2 can drive 600 very well. I'll do some comparison with my Explorer + a desktop SS amplifier later. Thanks!
yw. yes, you don't get extra bass roll-off when using high impedance phones. and you also avoid big FR alterations when using dynamic drivers.

Dec 7, 2017 at 11:23 AM Post #4,714 of 5,194
Hi guys, i have yet stumbled upon this thread again. There was a point where i wanted to get a DAP and it was between this and Benjie S5 and due to being new to this, i got the S5 for the price. I have since gotten the Zishan DSD, Z1 and Walnut V1.

The S5 have become my least used player right now with low potential. One issue with it is its digital volume control which makes getting the right volume level a pain. Was wondering how the X3 will fare in this department and if its worth it considering the other DAPs that i have. I have been switching between the Zishan with DSD being the mosr used and the Walnut have been sitting as an amp for my desktop. So if i were to get it, it has to at least top the Zishan DSD or be equal to it.

Dec 7, 2017 at 2:45 PM Post #4,715 of 5,194
What's your budget?

Dec 7, 2017 at 7:08 PM Post #4,716 of 5,194
What's your budget?
Hmm guess if i am to get a xmas gift for myself i can stretch to ard 250$. Saw the F.audio FA1 which looked really good and has great firmware support. The other one is Cayin N3 and also the Shanling N3.

Well i havent really went to look up on those but from what i can recall from reading (without intent to buy), those are good players. I have also saw good reviews on the D200+.

However i am not looking for an upgrade over the DSD lol. I just need something which is better than the Benjie S5 and can hold its weight against the Zishan sisters.

Dec 7, 2017 at 7:15 PM Post #4,717 of 5,194
Hmm guess if i am to get a xmas gift for myself i can stretch to ard 250$. Saw the F.audio FA1 which looked really good and has great firmware support. The other one is Cayin N3 and also the Shanling N3.

Well i havent really went to look up on those but from what i can recall from reading (without intent to buy), those are good players. I have also saw good reviews on the D200+.

However i am not looking for an upgrade over the DSD lol. I just need something which is better than the Benjie S5 and can hold its weight against the Zishan sisters.

I have the X3, but I couldn't tell you how much of an upgrade it would be for you. I also have a Walnut (not sure which version, but I've had it for a year). I have the burson v5i opamp in it, and I prefer it SQ more than the X3. But the X3 is pretty good, and support 2x cards, and can be rockboxed, and even has a screen lol!

Anyway, I was thinking of the Cayin N3. I don't have it, but it apparently has many great features (including bluetooth support, and can be controlled via the Hiby app from your phone), great SQ, and great value.

Dec 8, 2017 at 6:50 AM Post #4,718 of 5,194
I have the X3, but I couldn't tell you how much of an upgrade it would be for you. I also have a Walnut (not sure which version, but I've had it for a year). I have the burson v5i opamp in it, and I prefer it SQ more than the X3. But the X3 is pretty good, and support 2x cards, and can be rockboxed, and even has a screen lol!

Anyway, I was thinking of the Cayin N3. I don't have it, but it apparently has many great features (including bluetooth support, and can be controlled via the Hiby app from your phone), great SQ, and great value.
Hmm now u got me thinking man. Yeap the Cayin is super tempting but i am really satisfied with the Zishan DSD except that its abit bulky.

This forum is so poisonous lmao T.T

Dec 8, 2017 at 9:26 AM Post #4,719 of 5,194
Never heard of the FA1 before but it looks very nice...I must read some reviews! I get the sense that the N3 is a modest sonic upgrade from the X3 and I have been itching to get one for a while. X3 lately has been striking me as a bit harsh in the treble compared to my other sources.

I just got a pair of Mayflower v1 modded Fostex planars. Here's what the portable rig looks like now. The amp is my Pocket Class A. This setup gives some of the most neutral and detailed sound I've ever heard from headphones. IMG_2981.JPG

Dec 8, 2017 at 10:20 AM Post #4,720 of 5,194
Never heard of the FA1 before but it looks very nice...I must read some reviews! I get the sense that the N3 is a modest sonic upgrade from the X3 and I have been itching to get one for a while. X3 lately has been striking me as a bit harsh in the treble compared to my other sources.

I just got a pair of Mayflower v1 modded Fostex planars. Here's what the portable rig looks like now. The amp is my Pocket Class A. This setup gives some of the most neutral and detailed sound I've ever heard from headphones.

You are making me want a cute amp like that. It must be a very good little amp if it can drive Fostex planars. This forum is very dangerous!

I have brainwavz hybrids on my Fostex t50rp mk3
I also have:
Fostex th500rp - open planar
ZMF Vibro mkii (same drivers as the t50)

Those, my AKG702 and my Senn HD580 are my hardest to drive headphones. Everything else is pretty easy. Oh yeah, my Thinksound like a bit of amping as well.

hmmm and the HD598SE...

Do you have a link to that amp? Is it expensive?

Last edited:
Dec 8, 2017 at 12:31 PM Post #4,721 of 5,194
Hmm now u got me thinking man. Yeap the Cayin is super tempting but i am really satisfied with the Zishan DSD except that its abit bulky.

This forum is so poisonous lmao T.T

Very! I was going down the "which DAP to get next" road, but given that I also really enjoy streaming Tidal/Frisky etc, daps that also accommodate that start getting pricey. That's why I was interested in the N3, because I could stream from my phone to it (but alas, the N3 doesn't receive in aptx, which is something that I wanted).

I'm lucky though in that I am quite satisfied with the sound coming out of my cell phone (it took until the S7 edge exynos for me to feel this way). It also streams, so that's taken care of. So now, not having to also carry around a dap is a bonus (let alone not worrying about getting extra microsd cards etc), and the phone solution is working out quite well for me. The only missing link was that I also wanted to continue using my wired headphones, but without having to be wired directly to my phone (I often like my phone to be untethered). I found the Fiio BTR1 which takes care of that very nicely, so now I'm all set... for a while at least lol!

Dec 8, 2017 at 12:42 PM Post #4,723 of 5,194
Dec 8, 2017 at 2:03 PM Post #4,725 of 5,194
No i've not had that happen yet. Has anything else unusual happened to the DAP recently, e.g. dropped it ?

Could it be possible that the buttons plastic has shifted inside ?, I've read here that the buttons are very fragile and to be very careful when opening the player up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back