XDuoo X3 DSD 24Bit / 192KHz CS4398 Chip Lossless Music Player
Nov 25, 2017 at 11:42 AM Post #4,681 of 5,194
my player seems to have a problem,

When I plug my earphones halfway in the left side works without the right, which seems to be normal since it's not all the way in but when I plug it all the way in, the right side works but the left side is Hs, do you guys think it's a false connection inside the device, the lineout works without any issue

Does it behave this way with all earphones and headphones you try?

In my experience, the cable is the culprit 90% of the time (defective, loose connection, failing wires, plug too long, plug too short). Very rarely is the problem the headphone jack. I'm speaking in general music gear terms, not the X3 specifically.

Nov 25, 2017 at 11:46 AM Post #4,682 of 5,194
I've tried with two earphones already, a pair I almost never use and i've tried them with another player of mine and nothing seemed wrong with those ones. so I've concluded it might be my xduoo and it seems to be a hardware problem

Nov 25, 2017 at 6:19 PM Post #4,684 of 5,194
I've tried with two earphones already, a pair I almost never use and i've tried them with another player of mine and nothing seemed wrong with those ones. so I've concluded it might be my xduoo and it seems to be a hardware problem
Plug in headphones and softly lever the jack up and down to see if you get connection/disconnection.

Nov 27, 2017 at 5:02 AM Post #4,686 of 5,194
Any reason you can find x3 on ebay for $70-$80 when they are like $100 on aliexpress? I would think it would/should be cheaper on ali

Dec 2, 2017 at 8:28 PM Post #4,688 of 5,194
I gathered from reading that I really need to get RockBox on this if I get this player? What do I give up by doing this and what do I gain? Does the stock firmware really not support resuming at the location of a stopped song?

Its almost 2018,should I just look elsewhere?

Last edited:
Dec 2, 2017 at 11:00 PM Post #4,689 of 5,194
I gathered from reading that I really need to get RockBox on this if I get this player? What do I give up by doing this and what do I gain? Does the stock firmware really not support resuming at the location of a stopped song?

You don't really give up anything, and you gain more than can even be explained in a few sentences.

The X3 is a great player for it's price - has low noise, drives pretty much all gear you'll throw at it, it sounds great, it's relatively small, has dual card slots, lock switch, great battery life, and many other features.

Now that I have experienced the power of Rockbox, I will never go back. Unless something completely game changing comes along, I will ONLY buy DAPs that support Rockbox. I love Rockbox on my Sansa Clip+, xduoo X3, and iPod Classic.

Now, keep in mind that the limitations (or cons as you will) are more for the X3 and have nothing to do with Rockbox - for example, monochromatic screen, no bluetooth/aptx, no Android, no DAC, no balanced amplification, no optical output. It also has a tinted screen cover that is difficult to see in sunlight (however there is a simple mod that totally corrects this and it only costs a few dollars).

I guess if I HAD to list a 'con' of Rockbox, it's that it can be a little bit intimidating and 1st. It's sooo powerful and there's sooo many options and features that you can play with. They have an excellent Wiki and online manuals though, and I wrote a short guide on exactly what sound settings to set (for those that don't feel like reading through the manual and learning what all of the advanced settings do).

I'll tell you, I have learned so much about this hobby by installing and playing with Rockbox. So many topics to learn about and explore, and you can do a lot of it right in the palm of your hands. The custom EQ profiles are worth it alone.

Last edited:
Dec 2, 2017 at 11:06 PM Post #4,690 of 5,194

Stock FW allows you to play hi-res files natively, Rockbox will downsample to 16-bit.

Rockbox advantages
- stock fw will cut off 1sec off the beginning of each track, rockbox fixes this
- gapless playback
- fixes 44.1 pitch error, though stock fw is fine with 48/96/192
- many customization options

Just want to mention that Rockbox incorporates a dual-boot option so you can always go to stock firmware easily.

Dec 2, 2017 at 11:20 PM Post #4,691 of 5,194
Stock FW allows you to play hi-res files natively, Rockbox will downsample to 16-bit.

Rockbox advantages
- stock fw will cut off 1sec off the beginning of each track, rockbox fixes this
- gapless playback
- fixes 44.1 pitch error, though stock fw is fine with 48/96/192
- many customization options

Just want to mention that Rockbox incorporates a dual-boot option so you can always go to stock firmware easily.

Yeah you're right - I forgot about the downsampling.

16-bit is very respectable nonetheless.

Dec 2, 2017 at 11:27 PM Post #4,692 of 5,194
Thanks @wskl and @Slater for the quick reply. I decided to get one from Gearbest for $75. But do I really have to search out a Windows 7 machine at the end of 2017 to install this special version of RockBox? I think perhaps I should have waited on my purchase because I have no idea where to even begin to look for one.

Dec 3, 2017 at 12:00 AM Post #4,693 of 5,194
Thanks @wskl and @Slater for the quick reply. I decided to get one from Gearbest for $75. But do I really have to search out a Windows 7 machine at the end of 2017 to install this special version of RockBox? I think perhaps I should have waited on my purchase because I have no idea where to even begin to look for one.

No, any version of Windows works fine (Win10 is fine).

He really needs to change that. I think that came out when Windows 10 was brand new and there were known USB issues.

Dec 3, 2017 at 1:30 AM Post #4,694 of 5,194
@bsoplinger

The only disadvantage you get when you install RockBox on the X3 is that you have to have your micro SD card formatted to FAT32. Other than that, there are many advantages that RockBox brings, such as a proper file browser, many playback customisation options and a fully parametric EQ, in addition to the things that were already mentioned.

Dec 3, 2017 at 2:15 AM Post #4,695 of 5,194
How do you format a 64gb card to fat32?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back