Xduoo Amplifiers
Jan 8, 2022 at 8:33 PM Post #916 of 1,989
I've spent just about as much on tubes as the amp itself at this point :) also, just retesting the 12AT7 Mullards and E180CC Amperex with the new USB cable, it's clear the Amperex is a better fit. The highs are more rounded (can be too bright on Mullard), the mids are more forward (mids muted and muffled on Mullard), bass is about the same but maybe abit tighter on Mullard but sound stage is really good on the Amperex. I think these are from Harleen according to the item description but not Mullard but Amperex. https://www.ebay.com/itm/185071855549

Last edited:
Jan 8, 2022 at 8:41 PM Post #917 of 1,989
I've spent just about as much on tubes as the amp itself at this point :) also, just retesting the 12AT7 Mullards and E180CC Amperex with the new USB cable, it's clear the Amperex is a better fit. The highs are more rounded (can be too bright on Mullard), the mids are more forward (mids muted and muffled on Mullard), bass is about the same but maybe abit tighter on Mullard but sound stage is really good on the Amperex. I think these are from Harleen according to the item description but not Mullard but Amperex. https://www.ebay.com/itm/185071855549
That is the dark secret behind Tube amplifiers, the cost of the "razer" isn't anywhere near the cost of the "Blades", over time. That is why it is important to shop around, learn the details about each tube before buying. Often a little patience, waiting for a good deal, pays off. But, knowing when to pounce on a great tube at a great price can only be known through learning the details.

Yes, Amperex/Philips tubes from Holland Heerlen are great too. And, pauls994 is a great guy to work with!

I forgot to mention, my first thought about your negative or less positive comments about some of the tubes, is that it takes 50-200 hours of run time for tubes to "mellow", the sharpness and recessed mid's disappear with burn-in. At least that is what I've heard, when I can manage to leave in a set of tubes long enough. Some explain it by the "burning off" of oxidized cathode material, when that has been burned through the sound improves.

I've found used tubes, with plenty of "meat" left on the bone, 95%/95% Lifetime, actually sound better than new tubes, they've already gone through burn-in. But, then they HISS in my IEM's immediately or after a short while, so even 95% usage is too much, it is best to start with New/NIB NOS tubes, like these:

NOS NIB D GETTER PHILIPS/AMPEREX HOLLAND 1960'S E180CC 7062 TUBE 12AT7 TYPE

And, it may be that Mullards made in the Heerlen Holland plant are better sounding than those made in the British Mitchem / Blackburn tubes, but I've heard both and enjoy them greatly, I've not heard anything that would cause me to reject them. :)

Last edited:
Jan 8, 2022 at 10:07 PM Post #919 of 1,989
Except for the stock pair and the Amperex holland E180CC's I just received; I've left the ta-20 on for a week while testing a particular tube pairing for burn in. With the Amperex, I don't think that much time is needed :) they're clearly better than all of the others. The Amperex Hollands have completely different sound and really more aligned with what I was expecting when I got this amp. Everything is tighter, the highs are controlled (without EQ), soundstage larger and just has an overall more pleasant sound.

Last edited:
Jan 9, 2022 at 5:35 AM Post #920 of 1,989
So after y'all ranting on about the E180CC tubes i decided to take the plunge as well; https://www.ebay.com/itm/133642391945?hash=item1f1db51189:g:9qwAAOSwiftgBwl0
Will be interesting to see how the "SQ" tubes sound, as i've read many places that they're special (more than in name).

Also, about USB cables..Not to start a debate here, because i just wont, but i've heard differences as well in both the USB cables and with galvanic isolators on the line for USB. I've used the Ifi ipurifier myself, but find that it adds some "glare" in the top end, which sounds unnatural. *EDIT: i should point out; it's the ipurifier V1, so that all might be better with the newer versions.

I bought the Topping HS01 to clean up some of the ground related noise, and i percieve it to do its job with zero audible negatives. Only problem is that you need two USB cables, as it needs an in and an out.

Anyways; about the Oyaide cables; They are premium cables over all. Every cable i've had from there has been good. As a matter of fact i am using one of the right now into my HS01.
But if anyone is out looking for a good, no-nonsense USB cable that is affordable, well shielded and makes the "sound" come out the other end as clean as it came in i can recommend Supra cables USB. They look cheap, but there's nothing cheap about their quality :)

Last edited:
Jan 9, 2022 at 5:34 PM Post #922 of 1,989
Except for the stock pair and the Amperex holland E180CC's I just received; I've left the ta-20 on for a week while testing a particular tube pairing for burn in. With the Amperex, I don't think that much time is needed :) they're clearly better than all of the others. The Amperex Hollands have completely different sound and really more aligned with what I was expecting when I got this amp. Everything is tighter, the highs are controlled (without EQ), soundstage larger and just has an overall more pleasant sound.
That's great to hear, it is easy to be fascinated with the sound of a new tube before it has turned only to find it isn't sounding long term as you thought it did at first.

What are the rest of your listening system components and headphones?
So after y'all ranting on about the E180CC tubes i decided to take the plunge as well; https://www.ebay.com/itm/133642391945?hash=item1f1db51189:g:9qwAAOSwiftgBwl0
Will be interesting to see how the "SQ" tubes sound, as i've read many places that they're special (more than in name)...
Both of your excellent E180CC finds have been in my eBay cart for a long time, but there are only so many tubes one can buy at a time before getting tube overload, which I've also done with the TA-20. :)

Which is why it is so wonderful that we can all share our finds and compare them to other shared finds to help us all focus on our next purchases. I had trimmed down my eBay cart to less than 50 after ordering the E180CC, I figured I was done for a while, then Xduoo drops the TA-26, and I am back up to 89 items in my eBay cart!

I'll fit in both E180CC's over the next 2 months and report my comparisons here too :)
Oh by the way, and this goes out particularly to @hmscott; You guys are killing me with your TA-26 impressions as well, and it being lot more "tubey" than the TA-20.
So now i've ordered one..:p

I foretell bigger tube expenses in my future as well now..lol
Congratulations on your new TA-26!! :)

Here is what I've bought and received so far for the TA-26, which are already teaching me about the different variations of the 6N5P (6AS7G, 6080, 5998, 7632...) and 6N8P (6SN7 GT/GTA/GTB...) that come with our TA-26's:

Sylvania 6SN7GTA received 1/9, Cost $81.19
6SN7 GTA SYLVANIA NOS SAME DATE CODE TALL GLASS
TUBE1) 3000/3000 uSIEMENS & 7.6/7.6 ma
https://www.ebay.com/itm/143395297531

SYLVANIA VT 231 6SN7 GT NOS Well-Balanced Gm & Ip received 1/9, Cost $137.37
TUBE1) 94/95 uSIEMENS & 10.3/10.4 ma
https://www.ebay.com/itm/133347142184

Sylvania VT-231 6SN7GT ECC33 Mil-Spec Tube - Tested, NOS, Bad Boy, Single Tube received 1/5, Cost $100
This tube has black Bad Boy T plates and foil getters. Date code is from the late 1940's. This was tested on my Dan Nelson calibrated TV-7B. It has been tested for shorts, gas, and transconductance. The tube tests with a reading of 110/110. Minimum is 50.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/255309286381

NEW BOXED MILITARY QUALITY G.E. 6AS7GA DUO-TRIODES FOR AUDIO received 1/6 Cost $42.54
BRAND NEW IN THE ORIGINAL CARTON ROUND GETTER SILVER TOP 6AS7GA POWER DUO-TRIODES MANUFACTURED BY GENERAL ELECTRIC FOR THE US MILITARY - ORIGINALLY USED AS A REGULATOR, THEY HAVE FOUND WIDE APPLICATION FOR AUDIO AMPLIFIER AND PREAMPLIFIER USE Tested on my recently calibrated TV-7D/U where 36 is minimum tube measured 98/104.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/154779730790

The TA-26 China 6N8P - US 6AS7G - Russian 6H13C or 6N13S Svetlana tubes are much less expensive, and I've heard can be very quiet and good sounding, but not great - I'm not sure what that means yet, mine are shipping on the 15th and in shipping for 3 more weeks after that...there are also Russian 6SN7 equivalents, and I am to be getting one (or two, or more?) instead of a $17 refund on combined shipping, so I'll compare those too.

But, it's clear a lot of money can be spent on the TA-26 tubes, but with careful shopping I was able to get those bargains above, yes those tubes can sell for more, so I watch for the measurements - ask for the test results if not listed, but I've found over time if a seller doesn't list the measurements they probably can't provide them. Many "from the case" sellers won't or can't test, and assume New In Box / NOS from case are as good as new. Same as for the TA-20 tubes, with the TA-26 tubes I'm buying NIB or 100%/100% measuring NOS tubes.

The TA-26 sound is different than the TA-20, very enjoyable too but unique, and the stock tubes while nice and tubey can be "sharp" at the edges - as soon as I swapped in the first 6SN7GT VT-231 (late 40's) tube, the "sharp edges" were mostly gone, after installing the GE 6AS7G the "sharp edges" were gone.

I've since tried the other VT-231 6SN7GT and found they are of course very similar sounding, which made the Sylvania 6SN7GTA Tallboy Chrome Dome stand out as so differnt sounding.

The 6SN7GT, GTA, and GTB variants have differeces in their specifications - with the GT to GTA jump the largest - but I need to put in more reading time before I can say exactly what all those differences are. The maximum plate voltage is the big one, I've learned that, but I've also learned that our Audio application doesn't "tax" these tubes, so even though the maximum Plate voltages are different between the GT and GTA/GTB we don't need to worry about that with the TA-26 - I need to confirm that with Xduoo, but first more reading, and listening!

BTW, the GE 6AS7G is in a smaller glass envelope, with straight sides instead of the billowing stepped glass of the stock 6N5P. And, the GE 6AS7G is much smaller than the traditional stepped envelope, but it runs at about the same temperature of 143F. The GE 6AS7G still "towers" over the 6SN7GT, but when I put in the Sylvania 6SN7GTA Tallboy Chrome Dome - the GE 6AS7G is now smaller than the tube in front!

The RCA 6AS7G is the "standard" and should be a first purchase, but I couldn't find any not overpriced when I was shopping for my first TA-26 tubes, so I went the Russian tube route. I've since negociated splitting some Quad/Pairs for purchase next month. Be sure an look for and ask for 5250/5250 mhos as a minimum target for your RCA 6AS7G, as the 100%/100% 5800/5800's are not to be found, althought I am going to keep looking :)

When you get your TA-26, be sure to be aware that with full DAC output some headphones will have a very small usable Volume range - between 8-9 o'clock, turning down the DAC output with onboard attenuation if you have a Pre-mode, or through a Pre-amplifier to control the input to the TA-26, and now I have 9 o'clock to 1-3 o'clock on the TA-26 Volume dial. I wonder if a different resistance value and curve on the TA-26 volume control would help?

Last edited:
Jan 9, 2022 at 11:56 PM Post #923 of 1,989
I'm at around 100 hours now with the Amperex Holland E180CC's and they just keep getting better :) they also run warmer than the other tubes I've tried. My setup is a Topping D10s > xDuoo TA20 > Hifiman Edition XS (balanced). Any recommendations on another set of EC180's I could try?

Last edited:
Jan 10, 2022 at 3:48 AM Post #924 of 1,989
I'm at around 100 hours now with the Amperex Holland E180CC's and they just keep getting better :) they also run warmer than the other tubes I've tried. My setup is a Topping D10s > xDuoo TA20 > Hifiman Edition XS (balanced). Any recommendations on another set of EC180's I could try?
There's Philips branding, made in Holland, same plant - IDK if the Philips is a rebrand of the Amperex - or the other way around. The E180CC tubes from pauls994/Upscale audio are rebrands - CEC didn't make them - and there are lots of similar rebrands of Heerleen tubes by other brands too.

There are Philips SQ versions of most tubes Philips makes, which are selected for lowest noise / non-microphonic, basically cherry picked tubes.

There are the usually far more expensive "pinched waist" versions, earliest versions with "pinched" glass envelops to help secure the mica layers in place. The expensive ones are non-microphonic, as they are typically microphonic. A problem that can be minimized easily - ignore the external vibration induced noises, as long as the tube isn't self-resonating.

The E180CC is also called a 7062, and there may be specific medical, laboratory, aviation, space related culls of tubes of either kind. Overtime I've seen various E180CC/7062's on eBay and eBay.uk.co and eBay.de, there are other tube sites around that likely have interesting variations.

The E180CC's from pauls994 right now are also sold by Upscale Audio, and they have various tubes of interest from time to time.

Brent Jesse sells tubes, and here is his 12AT7 listings page which includes E180CC tubes. tubemaze on eBay also has/had E180CC's, but I cannot see them right now as his store is closed till Feb 02.

And, speaking of great tall tubes, the E80CC also sound great, but run a bit hotter than the E180CC, a different sound - 12AU7 on "10,000 hour" heaters too, and sound great.

Please keep us up on what you find, with links so we can check them out too! Thanks for posting all the deets!

Last edited:
Jan 13, 2022 at 8:59 AM Post #927 of 1,989
hmscott said:
Congratulations on your new TA-26!! :)

Thank you! As for all your tube recommendations and all, i've simply ordered what was most readily available and seemed like decent choices just to get me started;
https://www.ebay.com/itm/255291800650?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649
https://www.ebay.com/itm/185249082433?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649
I have 0 clues as to how they sound, or what to expect, but like i said it'll get me started.

Btw, the amp is now shipped from France (I ordered it here; https://www.audiophonics.fr/en/search?search_query=ta-26)
So price was 216€ plus shipping. Obviously i have to pay import tax (Norway) which is 25%, but so i would have to if i ordered from anywhere else. This was the cheapest i could it find atm, as it equals to 247$ USD,and also it is a reputable reseller.

Last edited:
Jan 13, 2022 at 4:28 PM Post #928 of 1,989
Thank you! As for all your tube recommendations and all, i've simply ordered what was most readily available and seemed like decent choices just to get me started;
https://www.ebay.com/itm/255291800650?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649
https://www.ebay.com/itm/185249082433?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649
I have 0 clues as to how they sound, or what to expect, but like i said it'll get me started.

Btw, the amp is now shipped from France (I ordered it here; https://www.audiophonics.fr/en/search?search_query=ta-26)
So price was 216€ plus shipping. Obviously i have to pay import tax (Norway) which is 25%, but so i would have to if i ordered from anywhere else. This was the cheapest i could it find atm, as it equals to 247$ USD,and also it is a reputable reseller.
Both tubes look like solid choices, NIB/NOS - and not too expensive - they should sound mellower than the "sharp" stock tubes. :)

Jan 14, 2022 at 10:41 PM Post #929 of 1,989
I hadn't used my TA-20 in months and I don't think I've even used it with my iFi Neo yet so when I finally did a few days ago I was very happy to hear how good it sounds. The NOS GE military tubes I got a while back sound great and are by far the best sounding ones I've used out of the 4 or 5 pairs I've tried. There's the warmth you want but there's also very nice clarity and the highs have good sparkle and texture to them. Whether I was using a dynamic driver headphone or planar they all sounded good on the TA-20.

If there are any tube recs people have let me know because I'm always down to try new ones and I prefer a more clean and clear sound over a very warm one.

Jan 15, 2022 at 6:49 PM Post #930 of 1,989
Re: MT-604. I purchased a quad set of Sylvania JHS-5654/6AK5W NOS/NIB 1952. I have probably over 50 hours on them. They much more refined, detailed, and provide a more space and trebly energy than the stock. The Sylvania is a bit cleaner through the midrange. The stock felt more "tubey" because it was more mid-centric, darker, and a bit more "fuzzier" in the midrange.

Tube rolling is fun, but its painful trying to replace 4 small tubes in a small unit. It is not something I want to do regularly. I'm thinking I want to stock up on more tubes before they get even harder and more expensive to find ...

MT-604 continues to blow my mind in what you can get for $170 MSRP + $40 quad tubes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back