Xduoo Amplifiers
Jan 16, 2022 at 9:27 AM Post #931 of 2,001
Privet!:v:
Can sombody help - I use TA-26 with Cambridge Audio DacmagicPlus DAC and Takstar HF580 headphones with my PC as a sourse – so i hear sound distortions in high-mid and especially in high volume. Is this normal for such setup? (also i use ibasso dx 80 as a sourse and there are no sound distortions)
Tube amps especially OTL ones with high output impedance such as TA26 are not a good match with low impedance low sensitivity headphones such as these planars at all. The reason is that OTL tube amps can provide a lot of voltage but are current-starved, low sensitivity planars are current hungry and when the amp can't push these it distorts.

Jan 16, 2022 at 9:40 AM Post #932 of 2,001
Tube amps especially OTL ones with high output impedance such as TA26 are not a good match with low impedance low sensitivity headphones such as these planars at all. The reason is that OTL tube amps can provide a lot of voltage but are current-starved, low sensitivity planars are current hungry and when the amp can't push these it distorts.
Spasibo for answer!
As i said there are almoust no distortions(clipping) when i use DX80 (only in very high volume wich not intended for listening)

Some news about external noise from my TA 26 - its a transformer and I send it for repair to store where i bought it so i inform when i bring it back👌

Jan 19, 2022 at 4:31 PM Post #935 of 2,001
Thinking about getting the MT-604, but my efficient headphone collection runs from 32 to 80 Ohms. So as with my LP (probably more so), gain will be an issue. There are several options and I was curious about some feedback:

1) My two existing amps can both operate as pre-amps, but I am not sure if that will fix the problem. Won't know until I try.

2) I can pull my SMSL SU-8 DAC out of the office and run two DAC's in my system to get the volume feature. Seems kind of redundant, but certainly the cheapest outside outside of pre-amping. And I do like this DAC.

3) Attenuation. Kind of in pre-amp territory. There are inline attenuators on Amazon.ca ($45.99 X 2 and get -15Db's). Garage1217 also sells attenuators (-20Db), but it is for after the amp. It is a 4-pin XLR headphone out? With this you only need one ($45.00US), but how would the sound be affected? Pre-amp? After amp? I have no idea.

I can get this amp in Canada for $225.00. I also found a tube supplier that sells 403b's in matched sets. He has several matched sets and can recommend two similar matching pairs and all four would be about $90.00 (thanks @Wiljen). I like what I hear about this amp and the cost at about $300.00 - $350.00Cdn. seems like a decent risk. It is not dirt cheap, but everything costs more in Canada. :ksc75smile:

Anxious to hear feedback from owners/potential owners. To be clear my biggest issues are that my headphones are Very efficient and I am not a loud listener.

Thanks.

Jan 19, 2022 at 6:38 PM Post #936 of 2,001
Voskhod 6J1P-EV and Mullard M8100 are both Tubey sounding tubes so worth checking out 👍
The Voshkods were my favourite tubes in the Little Dot MKIII.

Jan 19, 2022 at 6:54 PM Post #937 of 2,001
Thinking about getting the MT-604, but my efficient headphone collection runs from 32 to 80 Ohms. So as with my LP (probably more so), gain will be an issue. There are several options and I was curious about some feedback:

1) My two existing amps can both operate as pre-amps, but I am not sure if that will fix the problem. Won't know until I try.

2) I can pull my SMSL SU-8 DAC out of the office and run two DAC's in my system to get the volume feature. Seems kind of redundant, but certainly the cheapest outside outside of pre-amping. And I do like this DAC.

3) Attenuation. Kind of in pre-amp territory. There are inline attenuators on Amazon.ca ($45.99 X 2 and get -15Db's). Garage1217 also sells attenuators (-20Db), but it is for after the amp. It is a 4-pin XLR headphone out? With this you only need one ($45.00US), but how would the sound be affected? Pre-amp? After amp? I have no idea.

I can get this amp in Canada for $225.00. I also found a tube supplier that sells 403b's in matched sets. He has several matched sets and can recommend two similar matching pairs and all four would be about $90.00 (thanks @Wiljen). I like what I hear about this amp and the cost at about $300.00 - $350.00Cdn. seems like a decent risk. It is not dirt cheap, but everything costs more in Canada. :ksc75smile:

Anxious to hear feedback from owners/potential owners. To be clear my biggest issues are that my headphones are Very efficient and I am not a loud listener.

Thanks.
• The headphone input impedance alone should not pose a gain issue. Take a look at headphone sensitivity: in dB/mw or in dB/V (which takes impedance into account).
• Your headphone impedance range of 32 ohms to 80 ohms is not unusual. What is unusual is the LP volume knob/circuitry. I could never tolerate anything on the LP close to “ten o’clock”! 😵‍💫

Jan 19, 2022 at 7:09 PM Post #938 of 2,001
• The headphone input impedance alone should not pose a gain issue. Take a look at headphone sensitivity: in dB/mw or in dB/V (which takes impedance into account).
• Your headphone impedance range of 32 ohms to 80 ohms is not unusual. What is unusual is the LP volume knob/circuitry. I could never tolerate anything on the LP close to “ten o’clock”! 😵‍💫
My LP is gone now. Due to my collection, OTL amps are no use to me. I would like a little tube amp with a fun sound to add to the collection. But if my Grado's can't go much past 8:00, what's the point?

Jan 19, 2022 at 8:58 PM Post #939 of 2,001
My LP is gone now. Due to my collection, OTL amps are no use to me. I would like a little tube amp with a fun sound to add to the collection. But if my Grado's can't go much past 8:00, what's the point?

hybrid amps typically use the tube to do voltage gain, this gain is typically not needed for low impedance phones.

Maybe consider a tube amp with output transformers? (wooaudio WA6 etc)

Jan 19, 2022 at 9:18 PM Post #940 of 2,001
hybrid amps typically use the tube to do voltage gain, this gain is typically not needed for low impedance phones.

Maybe consider a tube amp with output transformers? (wooaudio WA6 etc)
Woo stuff looks nice, but it is about five times the price.

I like the look of Woo, but for those prices I would Really have to love the sound.

Jan 19, 2022 at 9:52 PM Post #942 of 2,001
my main point was that an "output transformer coupled" amp will be more suitable for low z phones, especially if you don't listen loud.
I'll look into it thanks.

I had an SET amp from MAD that was great for my Grado's, but didn't really move me.

Just looking for cheap fun.

Jan 20, 2022 at 9:41 AM Post #943 of 2,001
I just recieved my TA-26 yesterday. Here are a couple of first impressions :gs1000smile:

First power up and listen; Sounds like complete and utter horses***..:scream: Hardly any bass, muddy mids and heavily veiled highs..

It's now been on for a few hours, and the change has been nothing short of dramatic. Everything has opened and tightened up, and there is bass. Not the "kick you in the nuts" kind of bass, but at least bass.
Not even a hint of what some has referred to as sharp highs though. Just a very comfortable sound, with a big soundstage. And i guess there is more to come, based on the fact that the amp has only been on for 8-10 hours and playing maybe three-four of them. Looking forward to it!

But boy oh boy does it get hot.. This is a space heater! :fire:

20220120_153739.jpg

Looks good! :) I'll post an update after a few more hours of listening.

Jan 20, 2022 at 10:04 AM Post #944 of 2,001
I just recieved my TA-26 yesterday. Here are a couple of first impressions :gs1000smile:

First power up and listen; Sounds like complete and utter horses***..:scream: Hardly any bass, muddy mids and heavily veiled highs..

It's now been on for a few hours, and the change has been nothing short of dramatic. Everything has opened and tightened up, and there is bass. Not the "kick you in the nuts" kind of bass, but at least bass.
Not even a hint of what some has referred to as sharp highs though. Just a very comfortable sound, with a big soundstage. And i guess there is more to come, based on the fact that the amp has only been on for 8-10 hours and playing maybe three-four of them. Looking forward to it!

But boy oh boy does it get hot.. This is a space heater! :fire:

20220120_153739.jpg

Looks good! :) I'll post an update after a few more hours of listening.

Mine started sounding “right” after 50 hours mark, so be patient with it. It will open up nicely.

Jan 20, 2022 at 11:08 AM Post #945 of 2,001
Mine started sounding “right” after 50 hours mark, so be patient with it. It will open up nicely.
I hope (and expect so). I also recieved my RCA 6AS7G and put it in for s***s and giggles. I percieve a sound with softer edges and possible even more space, but it's subtle. I'll swap back to the stock tube after a while to see what i can pick out regarding differences.
I also ordered another tube, based on nothing but a hunch. Hopefully it'll sound good; https://www.ebay.com/itm/313314773875?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649
Does anyone have any experience with this or other JAN tubes for this amp? I've found that JAN tubes normally sound clear and strong in most amps/configs, and that is the hope for this one as well.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back