For 6AS7G tube rollers here .....
Dec 28, 2021 at 10:05 PM Post #8,312 of 9,589
Jan 2, 2022 at 10:14 PM Post #8,313 of 9,589
Hi all, I've seen posts on Winged C that are positive, and some that are negative on Russian 6AS7 tubes in general, but these are on 10% Off sale + 10% More Off if I get 3 or more, and so, I ordered these:

What do you guys/gals think of these "6as7g" choices for sound/price?:

6N13S / 6AS7G / ECC230 SVETLANA TUBE Double Triode NOS OTK USSR Lot 1pc. New

6N5S / 6N13S / 6AS7G / ECC230 SVETLANA TUBE NOS OTK USSR RARE 1950`s lot 1pc. Open box

6N13S / 6AS7G / ECC230 TUBE SVETLANA Double Triode NOS DATE 1960`s USSR Lot 1pc. New

6N13S /6AS7G /ECC230 /6N5S TUBE SVETLANA TRIODE NOS IN BOX OTK lot 1pc. or more New

I thought I'd order a nice spread of years to give them a chance, what do you think?

BTW, I've got an Xduoo TA-26, that only uses 1 each of the 6AS7/6SN7 tubes, discussed here in the Xduoo Amplifier discussion board.

I'm not gonna see these from Russia for 4-6 weeks, have you run across some nice sounding 6AS7's recently? :)

Last edited:
Jan 3, 2022 at 2:11 PM Post #8,314 of 9,589
The Svetlana Winged C 6AS7G / 6N13S / 6N5S are good sounding tubes. But they are not great! So I wouldn't encourage you to spend top dollar. Go for the cheapest. The Svetlana is a little dark so it works well with brighter 6SN7's and they are usually very quiet.

The only American manufacturer's of the 6AS7G were RCA and Tung-sol / Chatham. And those labeled Sylvania, GE, Raytheon and others are usually RCA rebrands. If you don't already have an RCA 6AS7G, it's a good sounding tube. Tung-Sol / Chatham are not as common, but if you can find one at a good price, it's a good tube too.

Have fun! :)

Jan 4, 2022 at 1:45 AM Post #8,315 of 9,589
The Svetlana Winged C 6AS7G / 6N13S / 6N5S are good sounding tubes. But they are not great! So I wouldn't encourage you to spend top dollar. Go for the cheapest. The Svetlana is a little dark so it works well with brighter 6SN7's and they are usually very quiet.

The only American manufacturer's of the 6AS7G were RCA and Tung-sol / Chatham. And those labeled Sylvania, GE, Raytheon and others are usually RCA rebrands. If you don't already have an RCA 6AS7G, it's a good sounding tube. Tung-Sol / Chatham are not as common, but if you can find one at a good price, it's a good tube too.

Thank you!, I also bought a single tube as described in NEW BOXED MILITARY QUALITY G.E. 6AS7GA DUO-TRIODES FOR AUDIO, which hopefully will also perform well and sound good.

I do still want to find Step Glass versions, as I've heard they cool better, I'll keep looking :)

Thank you for sharing your insights!

Last edited:
Jan 9, 2022 at 1:02 AM Post #8,316 of 9,589
...The only American manufacturer's of the 6AS7G were RCA and Tung-sol / Chatham. And those labeled Sylvania, GE, Raytheon and others are usually RCA rebrands. If you don't already have an RCA 6AS7G, it's a good sounding tube. Tung-Sol / Chatham are not as common, but if you can find one at a good price, it's a good tube too.

Thank you!, I also bought a single tube as described in NEW BOXED MILITARY QUALITY G.E. 6AS7GA DUO-TRIODES FOR AUDIO, which hopefully will also perform well and sound good.

I do still want to find Step Glass versions, as I've heard they cool better, I'll keep looking :)

Thank you for sharing your insights!
I received the GE 6AS7G early, a couple of days ago, and so far it sounds great!. It is really small compared to the large stepped glass 6N5P the Xduoo TA-26 came with.

The GE 6AS7G runs about the same temperature as the stock 6N5P, about 143F during use. This GE 6AS7G measured 98/104 and looks really clean with bright illuminated elements, looming larger than the Sylvania VT-231 6SN7GT (late 40's date code) sitting in front of it, and both together are very clean sounding - no more sharp edges as with the stock tubes.

I'm watching for good deals on RCA 6AS7G, 5998, and 7236 tubes, for next month's tube budget :wink:

Last edited:
Jan 17, 2022 at 3:27 PM Post #8,317 of 9,589
I have a couple of quick questions about the GEC 6AS7G. I added a CV2523 today to my collection. This one has an "O-getter", whereas the A1834 I've been listening to lately has a "Cup-getter" (or whatever the right term is for the solid getter with no opening in the middle as seen in the picture).

Question 1 - Is this a difference because of the manufacture date or a difference between the A1834 and CV2523s? I have 3 of the former all with cup-getters and 3 of the latter all with O-getters.

Question 2 - Has anyone else had the "GEC" stickers start to peel off after limited use? Two of my A1834s are doing that (as seen in the picture). A bit sad to see the sticker go, but damn it they sound good...

Thanks in advance for any insights.

20220117_211414.jpg20220117_211429.jpg

Jan 17, 2022 at 4:23 PM Post #8,318 of 9,589
I have a couple of quick questions about the GEC 6AS7G. I added a CV2523 today to my collection. This one has an "O-getter", whereas the A1834 I've been listening to lately has a "Cup-getter" (or whatever the right term is for the solid getter with no opening in the middle as seen in the picture).

Question 1 - Is this a difference because of the manufacture date or a difference between the A1834 and CV2523s? I have 3 of the former all with cup-getters and 3 of the latter all with O-getters.

Question 2 - Has anyone else had the "GEC" stickers start to peel off after limited use? Two of my A1834s are doing that (as seen in the picture). A bit sad to see the sticker go, but damn it they sound good...

Thanks in advance for any insights.

Yes, cup getters indicate early tubes and halo getters indicate later tubes (generally around 1960 and after). CV2523 indicates that these were sold to the British military and A1834 indicates the domestic market.

And yes, the stickers tend to come loose, but you can probably re-glue them. While I haven't re-glued stickers (I simply use scotch tape lol) perhaps others can recommend a good glue for this purpose.

Jan 18, 2022 at 6:51 AM Post #8,319 of 9,589
Yes, cup getters indicate early tubes and halo getters indicate later tubes (generally around 1960 and after). CV2523 indicates that these were sold to the British military and A1834 indicates the domestic market.

And yes, the stickers tend to come loose, but you can probably re-glue them. While I haven't re-glued stickers (I simply use scotch tape lol) perhaps others can recommend a good glue for this purpose.
A perfect answer from gibosi. One other thing to note (I suppose it’s obvious really) is that you can mix and match these tubes together with no sonic detriment, as they are the same tubes. Including straight and curved bases. I have one NIB one left, which is waiting for the arrival of a much modified Bottlehead Crack.

Jan 18, 2022 at 7:03 AM Post #8,320 of 9,589

Thanks for the answer. So one could run into an A1834 with the O getter and so forth...

As for the sticker peeling. This is coming off in spots, as seen in the picture. As if the heat has made rigid, then it cracks in multiple pieces, then some pieces fall off. Only happening to these two tubes. My other GEC stickers are solid. I suppose it has something to do with how they were stored for 70 years and how that affected the sticker.

Jan 18, 2022 at 7:04 AM Post #8,321 of 9,589
A perfect answer from gibosi. One other thing to note (I suppose it’s obvious really) is that you can mix and match these tubes together with no sonic detriment, as they are the same tubes. Including straight and curved bases. I have one NIB one left, which is waiting for the arrival of a much modified Bottlehead Crack.

Can't wait to see the picture and hear of the result!

Feb 3, 2022 at 11:29 AM Post #8,322 of 9,589
Feb 3, 2022 at 12:38 PM Post #8,323 of 9,589
Feb 3, 2022 at 12:42 PM Post #8,324 of 9,589
Should I be happy they are "Made in England"? Both tubes have "New" readings, should I get them? - I still haven't found an RCA shoulder-glass 6AS7G with high enough measurements, this is the closest so far... but, I'd love to buy only one tube...

Last edited:
Feb 3, 2022 at 1:49 PM Post #8,325 of 9,589
Should I be happy they are "Made in England"? Both tubes have "New" readings, should I get them? - I still haven't found an RCA shoulder-glass 6AS7G with high enough measurements, this is the closest so far... but, I'd love to buy only one tube...

I'm not sure if you are joking? :)

But these tubes were made in the USSR. You simply can't always believe the text and logos painted on vacuum tubes......

Users who are viewing this thread

Back