Xduoo Amplifiers
Jan 30, 2022 at 10:20 PM Post #991 of 2,012
Sorry if i was unclear :wink: What that means is simply that the Sundaras didn't sound right, or dynamic, even when the TA-26 was at full volume output. It did get loud, but at one point it was like the TA-26 simply ran out of power, and it didn't get any louder, even when turning the volume wheel. Also there was just lacklustre bass and bad dynamics.
Btw; all planars are different, so "your miles may vary", and it may well be that the Takstar you mention will work just fine :) For your sake i hope they fare better than the Sundaras! :beerchug:
I have never understood why there is so much fuss for the sundara, it has a thin sound and is often too bright and it is very difficult to pair it with an amplifier that makes it sound good.
ah i understand now great thanx!!:beerchug:
Guys, that is why I bought the TA-20 first, as my favorite headphones are the Hifiman Ananda and Hifiman HE6SE V2, which both respond best to amplifiers that can drive low impedance headphones.

This is also why I suggest having both the TA-20 (or TA-30) + TA-26 works out great as between the two they both cover the range of headphones most of us have, with enough power to drive them to enjoyable levels.

The TA-20 with SS output excels in driving low impedance headphones with enough power to light up the Hifiman HE6SE V2 to enjoyable levels. The HE6SE V2 really needs 2w-5w to bring the HE6SE V2 to full potential. And, some think it is more like 7w-14w :)

The TA-26 really does help my Sennheiser and Beyerdynamic headphones blossom furthering the enjoyment they brought me on the TA-20. The full Tube sound of the TA-26 really does bring the dynamic and more realiistic sound stage for me for many recordings, and especially with SFX Audio Movies! Even with only 2.0 sound the movie Theater and Livingroom settings in Cyberlink's PowerDVD audio options sounds more real than on the TA-20 - or other SS amps.

I haven't heard the Sundara yet, but I enjoy my Amanda on the TA-20 very much. :L3000:

Last edited:
Jan 30, 2022 at 10:31 PM Post #992 of 2,012
Guys, that is why I bought the TA-20 first, as my favorite headphones are the Hifiman Ananda and Hifiman HE6SE V2, which both respond best to amplifiers that can drive low impedance headphones.

This is also why I suggest having both the TA-20 (or TA-30) + TA-26 works out great as between the two they both cover the range of headphones most of us have, with enough power to drive them to enjoyable levels.

The TA-20 with SS output excels in driving low impedance headphones with enough power to light up the Hifiman HE6SE V2 to enjoyable levels. The HE6SE V2 really needs 2w-5w to bring the HE6SE V2 to full potential. And, some think it is more like 7w-14w :)

The TA-26 really does help my Sennheiser and Beyerdynamic headphones blossom furthering the enjoyment they brought me on the TA-20. The full Tube sound of the TA-26 really does bring the dynamic and more realiistic sound stage for me for many recordings, and especially with SFX Audio Movies! Even with only 2.0 sound the movie Theater and Livingroom settings in Cyberlink's PowerDVD audio options sounds more real than on the TA-20 - or other SS amps.

Many love the Sundara because they all have SS amps that have enough power to light up that Planar to enjoyable levels, and the Ananda takes that a bit further, there are fans of both - and some enjoy the Sundara for portable/mobile use - the Ananda looks a bit "Spock-like" :)

We all have personal favorites and opinions, but for every negative take here are plenty of positive takes too. There are some headphones that are loved by so many that those that don't react the same way are confused as to how they can enjoy them, but that is one of the growth factors in becoming an experienced audiophile, allowing others to have vastly different experiences from our own. It's all good guys :)
Ty for posting this. I was looking at the TA-20 vs TA-26

Jan 30, 2022 at 11:32 PM Post #993 of 2,012
Ty for posting this. I was looking at the TA-20 vs TA-26
I have a few posts here on head-fi from the last month with TA-26 vs. TA-20 comments.:)

Do you have any specific questions we can answer about either the TA-26 or the TA-20?

Which one of them are you leaning toward?, the TA-20 balanced?, or TA-30 unbalanced?, or the TA-26 unbalanced? - with the "Tubiest" sound? :ksc75smile:

Last edited:
Feb 4, 2022 at 4:35 PM Post #994 of 2,012
Just a quick little update on a slow friday night about the TA-26, which i've owned for a little while now.
I recieved my 6SN7GT JAN GE BLACK PLATE (Canadian made) and have been playing it for about 12 hours now. I have to say, it was a very good investment, and luckily it paid off as i hoped. This beats out the 6SN7GT RCA tube that was in before it by miles. Stronger sound, cleaner and quite a bit more open soundstage. I can easily recommend this tube for the TA-26.
To put it in words many might understand; The TA-26 with this tube gives the Sennheiser HD58X an actual soundstage and some space. Very very good in my opinion. Try Anything by Chris Jones, Allan Taylor or the like and just be carried away into the music.. The TA-26 has so far made me very happy for not that high a price!
BTW; have a great weekend :)

Feb 4, 2022 at 9:41 PM Post #995 of 2,012
Just a quick little update on a slow friday night about the TA-26, which i've owned for a little while now.
I recieved my 6SN7GT JAN GE BLACK PLATE (Canadian made) and have been playing it for about 12 hours now. I have to say, it was a very good investment, and luckily it paid off as i hoped. This beats out the 6SN7GT RCA tube that was in before it by miles. Stronger sound, cleaner and quite a bit more open soundstage. I can easily recommend this tube for the TA-26.
To put it in words many might understand; The TA-26 with this tube gives the Sennheiser HD58X an actual soundstage and some space. Very very good in my opinion. Try Anything by Chris Jones, Allan Taylor or the like and just be carried away into the music.. The TA-26 has so far made me very happy for not that high a price!
BTW; have a great weekend :)
Happy Friday :)

Feb 5, 2022 at 7:40 AM Post #996 of 2,012
I've spent just about as much on tubes as the amp itself at this point :) also, just retesting the 12AT7 Mullards and E180CC Amperex with the new USB cable, it's clear the Amperex is a better fit. The highs are more rounded (can be too bright on Mullard), the mids are more forward (mids muted and muffled on Mullard), bass is about the same but maybe abit tighter on Mullard but sound stage is really good on the Amperex. I think these are from Harleen according to the item description but not Mullard but Amperex. https://www.ebay.com/itm/185071855549
Hi, how are you? :)

I followed through and picked up a "pinched waist" variant of the "PHILIPS/AMPEREX HOLLAND 1960'S E180CC 7062 TUBE" from pauls994 :

NOS NIB PHILIPS HOLLAND PINCHED WAIST D FOIL GETTER E180CC 7062 12AT7 E81CC
https://www.ebay.com/itm/185162828671

...for comparison with the Mullard I'm enjoying now on the TA-20:

180CC 5965 12AV7 NOS Mullard Holland Valve Tubes
https://www.ebay.com/itm/112112339682

pauls994 's own comment on the sound comparison between the Amperex 7062's"

"After listening to various 12AT7 type tubes, I think I finally found the best balance between dynamics, warmth, liquidity, and transparency - the Amperex Holland D Foil getter 7062 E180CC. The pinched waist version is also quite good - having greater warmth and liquid sound, and a bit less of transparency and dynamics."

I'll give the "pinched waist" variant a listen in comparison to the Mullard, and try the non-"Pinched Waist" variant next month.

What are you listening to these days?, are you content with your Amperex 7062? :)

Last edited:
Feb 6, 2022 at 2:18 AM Post #997 of 2,012
Guys, I asked Xduoo a while back "Which tubes have you tried and enjoyed on the TA-26?" and here is Xduoo's answer:

"Hi, Scott
At present, we confirm that the model of tube that can be replaced as follow:
6N5P-->6H5C、6AS7、6N13P、6080
6N8P-->6H8C、6SN7、ECC33、5692
Best Regards"

Here is my email to Xduoo asking about compatibility of tubes on the TA-26, and what I am thinking about trying:
"Hi!, Happy New Year!! :)

I am looking for tubes to upgrade the TA-26 from tube dealer friends on eBay and elsewhere, and one of them asked a question I was wondering... can the TA-26 transformer/power delivery accommodate the 6528a?

I found this posting listing various tube options for the Darkvoice:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/darkvoice-336i-336se-tuberolling-partii.348833/post-14878993

6528 - equiv to 5998 but very high gain at 9, twice the current load. Make sure your amp can handle it

I did a little research and on other amplifiers it requires some circuit changes to allow the increase in power, so I wanted to find out from you what you would suggest.

I planned on getting a NIB/NOS 6as7g RCA from the 50's, or a Tungsol/Cetron 6080 to start. And, a nice Tall Sylvania 6NS7GTA, single tubes of each, that is what lead me to the discussions from one dealer about the 6528a.

FYI, here are those tubes:

6SN7 GTA SYLVANIA NOS SAME DATE CODE TALL GLASS PLATINUM MATCHED QUAD
https://www.ebay.com/itm/143395297531
TWO MATCHED NEW BOXED BLACK PLATE MIL. QUALITY RCA 6AS7G DUO-TRIODES FOR AUDIO
https://www.ebay.com/itm/154774264096

I've also looked at the new PSVANE 6SN7 options.

Which tubes have you tried and enjoyed? :)

Thank you!, Scott"

Unfortunately those nice '52 6AS7G's are only available as a pair, the seller doesn't want to split them and sell singles. He's relisted it since and the matched pair are still available:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/154819826553
Up till today I've had trouble finding what I really wanted for the 6N5P spot, but I did get a nice GE 6080 that did pick up the Bass, and paired with a couple of 1940's Sylvania 6SN7GT VT-231 and a Tallboy Chrome Top Sylvania 6SN7GTA tube, I've really been enjoying listening to music, vocals, and video/movies.

The Russian 6H5C, 6N13P Svetlana tubes are now shipping and on their way. The seller was on vacation, and when he came back we discussed another tube, a 1953 Melz 6H8C Metal Base along with a pair of Melz 1578's. For now I decided on the 1953 Melz to try first and listen to for a while before getting the 1578's.

Working with 12-rocketman has been very educational and fun, I really did appreciate his help and information he shared. We must have exchanged a few dozen messages, even during his holiday, it was quite pleasant.

The same can be said for all of the sellers I've bought from and had enjoyable discussions, and I might as well share with you the other tubes I haven't mentioned and are on the way right now:

NOS VINTAGE TUNG SOL CETRON 7236 5998 TUBE WOO HEADAMPS PAIRS AVAILABLE - sounds great!, really punchy, clear, solid bass+vocals+instruments

6AS7G RCA Headphone Amplifier Tube Made in U.S.A Amplitrex Tested#309008 - Much different than the 7236, while still wide, clear, it is more "full" sounding

6N8S / 6SN7 / 1578 MELZ TUBE HOLE PLATE NOS METAL BASE DATE 1953 Lot 1pc.- It's gonna be a while coming from UA

CBS JAN CHY 5692 6SN7 VACUUM TUBE SINGLE BLACK PLATE NOS ORIGINAL BOX - Received, not tried yet...

1pc 6N8S / 6Н8С ~ 6CC10,6SN7,1578 Double triode NEW. OTK. MILITARY. METAL BASE -En route from Russia.

KEN-RAD JAN CKR 6SN7 GT VT-231 1944 LEGENDARY BLACK BEAUTY CHROMED FOIL NIB MINT - Received, not tried yet...

And, here is the one I was looking for all along, hopefully I'll get it, but it is a work in progress: This NIB 50's JAN RCA 6AS7G is the best sounding so far!
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/for-6as7g-tube-rollers-here.410326/post-16802216

These along with the Russian 6AS7G equivalents should keep me busy for a while :)

Updated each tube listed with status, more later...

Last edited:
Feb 7, 2022 at 8:24 AM Post #998 of 2,012
tempImageSPSbBy.png

1952 and 53 Sylvania JHS 5654 tubes

Feb 8, 2022 at 6:21 PM Post #999 of 2,012
Still waiting on my MT-602! I want to post here damnit! :smile:

Feb 8, 2022 at 10:54 PM Post #1,000 of 2,012
tempImageSPSbBy.png
1952 and 53 Sylvania JHS 5654 tubes
Does the amplifier body get really warm? Have you tried socket savers / tube risers?

Feb 9, 2022 at 8:07 AM Post #1,001 of 2,012
Does the amplifier body get really warm? Have you tried socket savers / tube risers?
I have been unable to find any 7 pin socket savers. The body of the amp does get warm, but not hot.

Last edited:
Feb 9, 2022 at 12:48 PM Post #1,003 of 2,012
Loads of power, happy with mine. I think you'll most probably like it. Do you plan on swapping tubes right away?
Yes. I ordered (and received) two sets of matched tubes when I ordered the amp:
2 X GE JAN5654W's
2 X 6J1P-EV's

Still no update on my amp though. Ordered Jan.25th. If I had known that it needed to be shipped from China, I would have made other arrangements. Likely woukd have ordered the MT-604 that was in stock at Amazon.ca

Feb 9, 2022 at 12:57 PM Post #1,004 of 2,012
I have been unable to find any 7 pin socket savers. The body of the amp does get warm, but not hot.
Have a look if you wish:
526372F3-0D86-400C-8CC2-5F8E43933928.jpeg

Feb 9, 2022 at 4:13 PM Post #1,005 of 2,012
I have a question to those of you out there with a TA-20. I just got myself a pair of HifiMan Edition XS, and they replaced my Sundaras on the TA-20 as my "planar setup".
However, i noticed now for the first time that microphonics is REAL real. Even turning the volume wheel makes audible noise from the driver in the headphones. And tapping lightly on the chassis or tubes is just a serious no-go. Is this normal? I have never ever had any issues of this sort nearly this evident before.
Obviously this issue came into my life alongside the Edition XS's, but still. I didn't think that they would be that much more sensitive than any other headphone i've ever tried out on the TA-20.
Any experiences and or opinions on the matter out there?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back