Xduoo Amplifiers
Feb 11, 2022 at 5:55 AM Post #1,022 of 1,989
Cool, something like that is what I was thinking of too, large enough + mass to make a difference. After reading Herbie's discussion though, they may be over doing it a bit, affecting the sound - besides damping the oscillations they might affect the music. Some are reporting all of the dampers affect the sound, for the worse, reducing the "tubiness".

Hopefully they will stop the distracting tube microphonics, and improve the sound too :)
Based on this i apparently need to check out Herbies..:gs1000smile:
Yup, me too. :)

Let's share when we've had a chance to test them as we get them. I will need to find my microphonic tubes again. I think one pair were the 17mm black plate RCA clear tops...

But, given what people are reporting, it might be worth trying rings out on tubes that aren't microphonic, to see how the rings affect the sound.

More Tube Toys :wink:

Last edited:
Feb 11, 2022 at 11:29 AM Post #1,023 of 1,989
A „Xduoo Ta 20“ is coming.

I have already been instructed to order a pair of matched "Genalex Gold Lion 12AU7/ECC82 Gold Pins".

If it’s imperative to add another pair of specific tubes to the order, please let me know, so I can do it all in one go…

Feb 11, 2022 at 11:32 AM Post #1,024 of 1,989

I have already been instructed to order a pair of matched "Genalex Gold Lion 12AU7/ECC82 Gold Pins".

If it’s imperative to add another pair of specific tubes to the order, please let me know, so I can do it all in one go…
If you can, order a pair of RFT ECC82. These are fantastic 12AU7s (especially the ‘foil getter’ version). I have been using these in a Rogue RH-5.

Feb 11, 2022 at 11:42 AM Post #1,025 of 1,989

If you have read this thread you would see that a lot of us are settling on a variant of E180CC Tubes, a 12AT7 variant. You should look into tubes of this type at least, and you could get good advice on specific types by reading the last few pages of this thread.

Feb 11, 2022 at 2:02 PM Post #1,026 of 1,989
If you can, order a pair of RFT ECC82. These are fantastic 12AU7s (especially the ‘foil getter’ version). I have been using these in a Rogue RH-5.

If you have read this thread you would see that a lot of us are settling on a variant of E180CC Tubes, a 12AT7 variant. You should look into tubes of this type at least, and you could get good advice on specific types by reading the last few pages of this thread.
The designations of the tubes are all similar, although they actually all look the same, there are small differences somewhere. If there are many indications that the tube corresponds to the one you are looking for, then these are not available as a matched pair. Kind of confusing. On top of that, so many recommendations. I'll order some tubes and then bend the legs until it fits :relaxed:

Last edited:
Feb 11, 2022 at 2:11 PM Post #1,027 of 1,989
The designations of the tubes are all similar, but there are small differences somewhere, although they actually all look the same. If there are many indications that the tube corresponds to the one you are looking for, then these are not available as a matched pair. Kind of confusing. On top of that, so many recommendations. I'll order some tubes and then bend the legs until it fits :relaxed:
The 12AT7 has a gain of 60x: the 12AU7 has a gain of 20x. Filament current is the same. The gain of the 12AT7 may be too much for the TA-20: distortion and noise floor may rise.

Feb 11, 2022 at 2:11 PM Post #1,028 of 1,989
The designations of the tubes are all similar, but there are small differences somewhere, although they actually all look the same. If there are many indications that the tube corresponds to the one you are looking for, then these are not available as a matched pair. Kind of confusing. On top of that, so many recommendations. I'll order some tubes and then bend the legs until it fits :relaxed:
Well, the E180CC are just another designation for a variation of the 12AT7 tube, which is physically (not electrically) identical to the 12AU7. Meaning the pins are the same, and the layout/size of the glass tube is similar enough. The TA-20 works just fine with the 12AT7, according to xDuoo themselves.
The 12AT7's and their variations are just fine to use with this amp, and slots right in no mods needed. The electrical differences account for the difference in sound signature to the 12AU7, and in most cases the sound signature of the 12AT7 vs the 12AU7 in this amp is more dynamic, clear and offers a little more "oomph" in most respects.
Obviously YMMV with the specific tubes and some 12AU7's certainly will sound better than some 12AT7's, but in general most people that have tried 12AT7 in the TA-20 seems to have stuck with it.
So take from this what you will, it is simply meant to inform you that there are options out there :)

Last edited:
Feb 11, 2022 at 3:00 PM Post #1,029 of 1,989
+1 on the RFTs. I’ve been saying this for years.

Feb 11, 2022 at 3:19 PM Post #1,030 of 1,989
Received my MT-604 a few days ago. Pulled all the tubes out and installed Sylvania 1952 & 3 JHS 6AK5s. Sounded pretty damn good. Been playing it a little bit until today when it got overly bright. Pulled the Sylvania and installed WE 403Bs . Much better, but I am going to leave this amp on for about 100 hours to burn it and tubes in,

Feb 11, 2022 at 5:26 PM Post #1,032 of 1,989
Last edited:
Feb 11, 2022 at 5:38 PM Post #1,033 of 1,989
Feb 11, 2022 at 6:09 PM Post #1,034 of 1,989
I see you don't care about matched tubes...
In this case; No. The reason for that was that a matched pair was simply unavailable with the foil getters, at least for a sane amount of money.
Also i have yet to have an audible issue regarding the matter (mached vs unmatched pair) tbh, meaning as long as the tubes are all good, of the same type and NIB+NOS i will not be able to hear anything out of sorts unless one ore both of the tubes are faulty.
If my equipment cost 10-20 times more i might care, but the differences in this case should be miniscule if any.

Feb 11, 2022 at 6:12 PM Post #1,035 of 1,989
Those are the ones. The seller, delax777mechanics, is one whom I highly recommend. I have bought on numerous occasions RFTs of different types from him. Great tubes, prompt delivery 👍.
Glad to hear it. Like i mentioned above i went for the foil getters rather than matched pair in this instance. I'm excited to see what the hype is about, as i really was determined to stick with my E180CC tubes for the foreseeable future. I find them just about perfect tbh, so it'll take something special to dislodge them from the sockets permanently :o2smile:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back