XBA-3/ XBA-30 thread.
Dec 15, 2012 at 10:11 PM Post #347 of 1,196
Those new JVC FXZs definitely were interesting at first, but I just can't get over their "Frankenstein" look when inserted. Perhaps I'll pick them up down the line for at-home listening, but I much prefer non-descript looking IEMs. I walk all around with my EPH-100s and plan to with my recently-ordered XBA-3s, but will not be using my MH1Cs outside (the controller makes anyone look like a doofus, no really) unless I get them recabled. Same reason I don't use full-sized cans for walking to class or traveling/flying. I know, I shouldn't care what other people think and all that... but yeah, no, when I'm out and about I'm not going to wear full-sized cans, IEMs with a controller awkwardly hanging out (MH1C), or IEMs that stick out of my ears and make me look like Frankenstein (JVC FXZs, Sony EX1000, etc.). I just pictured myself doing a sprint with the MH1C controller flopping about. I giggled.

Dec 15, 2012 at 10:34 PM Post #348 of 1,196
Quote:
Those new JVC FXZs definitely were interesting at first, but I just can't get over their "Frankenstein" look when inserted. Perhaps I'll pick them up down the line for at-home listening, but I much prefer non-descript looking IEMs. I walk all around with my EPH-100s and plan to with my recently-ordered XBA-3s, but will not be using my MH1Cs outside (the controller makes anyone look like a doofus, no really) unless I get them recabled. Same reason I don't use full-sized cans for walking to class or traveling/flying. I know, I shouldn't care what other people think and all that... but yeah, no, when I'm out and about I'm not going to wear full-sized cans, IEMs with a controller awkwardly hanging out (MH1C), or IEMs that stick out of my ears and make me look like Frankenstein (JVC FXZs, Sony EX1000, etc.). I just pictured myself doing a sprint with the MH1C controller flopping about. I giggled.

I went once to the school with my Alessandro MS1i, won't do it again, that's the limit, I don't see a problem with some hands free set (MH1c) tough.

Dec 16, 2012 at 12:06 AM Post #349 of 1,196
Thanks to AtomikNOob, I've had the XBA-3 for about a week now. I think they sound great but they are very uncomfortable to me. Almost all the included tips hurt my ears. The largest are the most comfortable but the sound quality is deminished. I find that the medium tips that come with the Jays work better for me. They are slightly narrower than the Sonys tips.

Anyhow yesterday I received the HiFiMan RE272, and even though its too soon. I think these will be my new Primary iems. They feel very comfortable and they sound clearer than XBA-3.

Dec 16, 2012 at 2:23 AM Post #350 of 1,196
The new JVC's are definitely a Currawong thing & I'm always a step behind him. Last year he loved the XBA-3 & it didn't appeal to me. All of a sudden in the past month (& a year wiser) I started to like the XBA-3 but couldn't find it (& now own the XBA-30).

Just an hour ago I tried the FXZ100 for the 2nd time & still can't see the appeal to it. I prefer the Timbre king FX700 instead. As such, the XBA-30 is still in my pocket, not traded in yet.

Who knows, I may like the FXZ100 next year (when I'm another year wiser).

Dec 16, 2012 at 4:10 AM Post #351 of 1,196
Quote:
I went once to the school with my Alessandro MS1i, won't do it again, that's the limit, I don't see a problem with some hands free set (MH1c) tough.

The way the MH1C drapes around the back of my neck causes the controller to hang next to my left cheek pretty awkwardly. Maybe it's just for me and my shoulder/head structure. But no matter - I used the included shirt clip to convert the J-cord into a Y-cord and it's much better now. There's still a bulge due to 3 wires overlapping on one another, but a few cable ties instead of a shirt clip (if I can find any cable ties) should flatten it out. Too bad there's no "fix" to the JVC FXZs sticking out like sore thumbs, the hype on those are pretty crazy!

Quote:
Thanks to AtomikNOob, I've had the XBA-3 for about a week now. I think they sound great but they are very uncomfortable to me. Almost all the included tips hurt my ears. The largest are the most comfortable but the sound quality is deminished. I find that the medium tips that come with the Jays work better for me. They are slightly narrower than the Sonys tips.

Anyhow yesterday I received the HiFiMan RE272, and even though its too soon. I think these will be my new Primary iems. They feel very comfortable and they sound clearer than XBA-3.

Fit is king. The GR07 was soundly trumped by my EPH-100 (and MH1C, to a lesser extent, for that matter), and I chalk it up to my ear canals. The GR07 were comfortable, but they must not have fit well enough to properly deliver sound to my eardrums because the sound I was hearing was, simply put, worse. Everyone hears differently, as they say. Hopefully the XBA-3 fit me well enough to sound as clear and crisp as Dsnuts and so many others describe them to be!

Dec 16, 2012 at 8:22 PM Post #353 of 1,196
Hey Ds, just found these over at Harvey Normans here in Australia...are these prices good?!?

$147 Aus - Very interesting!

Also just out of curiosity, what do you think about the XB4's??

$196 Aus - Pretty tempting?!

Dec 16, 2012 at 8:32 PM Post #354 of 1,196
Quote:
Those new JVC FXZs definitely were interesting at first, but I just can't get over their "Frankenstein" look when inserted.

Like dsnuts says, they are chick magnets.

Quote:
Perhaps I'll pick them up down the line for at-home listening, but I much prefer non-descript looking IEMs. I walk all around with my EPH-100s and plan to with my recently-ordered XBA-3s,

I find the xba3's great for mobility purposes. They are easily inserted, fit well, good seal, and stay in pretty well. I also have become a fan of the j-cable setup due to how they can be pulled out and they rest on the chest for quick access again.

Quote:
but will not be using my MH1Cs outside (the controller makes anyone look like a doofus, no really) unless I get them recabled.

The mh1c cable is the reason they get the least play from me. Diabolical. And that controller... diabolical as well.

Quote:
Same reason I don't use full-sized cans for walking to class or traveling/flying. I know, I shouldn't care what other people think and all that... but yeah, no, when I'm out and about I'm not going to wear full-sized cans, IEMs with a controller awkwardly hanging out (MH1C), or IEMs that stick out of my ears and make me look like Frankenstein (JVC FXZs, Sony EX1000, etc.). I just pictured myself doing a sprint with the MH1C controller flopping about. I giggled.

Yup. If I get the fxz200's, I'll have to see how I feel about wearing them out in public. If (as dsnuts says) they are indeed chick magnets, then I will wear them everywhere. But if he is mistaken about that, then I will be happy to continue wearing my xba3's
smile.gif

Edit: possibly wearing the 200's over the ears would result in a lesser frankenstein affect. But, I don't like wearing iem's over the ears when out and about - not nearly as convenient as the xba's for removing completely and quickly accessing.

Dec 19, 2012 at 5:07 PM Post #355 of 1,196
Quote:
Hey Ds, just found these over at Harvey Normans here in Australia...are these prices good?!?

$147 Aus - Very interesting!

That is an awesome deal! I tried to wait for Harvey Norman to put them on sale but it was taking sooooo long! 'got my XBA 3ip from ebay for AU$120 (used)... and never regretted the purchase. I'm so grateful to Dsnuts coz he got me hooked on these from his review. Turns out it's exactly the sound signature I prefer since I listened mostly to Rock, Metal, and acoustic music.

Dec 19, 2012 at 5:29 PM Post #357 of 1,196
Quote:
Glad you like em. They are excellent for your music as you know..

Thanks to you! I started with the FX3X... then the MH1c... and finally the XBA 3. And now I'm religously following the FXZ thread you started! I'm definitely getting either one of those as soon as I get back from my upcoming holidays (Feb).

If I was looking for an IEM to compliment the XBA 3, should I go for the FXZ 100 or 200? I don't mind a bass IEM as long as they're balanced. As a matter of fact, I still enjoy using my FX3X at the gym listening to dance and dubstep!

Dec 19, 2012 at 5:35 PM Post #358 of 1,196
If you want a more traditionally balanced sound similar to the XBA-3. Go for the FXZ100. As the FXZ200 is not for everyone. But then again you have those FX3X so imagine a much higher end FX3X and you will get something like a FXZ200. Much much higher end.  They sound nothing alike but for the fact that both are bass earphones. The refinement in the FXZ200 is crazy though.

Dec 19, 2012 at 5:48 PM Post #359 of 1,196
I'll keep those in mind! 'will keep following the FXZs thread to get more info from other feedbacks to help me decide.
I'm still gonna keep the XBA 3 even when I get my hands on those FXZs... I just love how the XBA 3 make the songs nostalgic. especially in Rock and Acoustic. I don't know if anyone has noticed but it sounded like I was listening to a classic turntable playing vinyl records!

Great job
wink_face.gif
 on your reviews mate! We're all very grateful... I've never enjoyed my music this much since stumbling upon head-fi.org.

Dec 19, 2012 at 6:05 PM Post #360 of 1,196
Quote:

Great job
wink_face.gif
 on your reviews mate! We're all very grateful... I've never enjoyed my music this much since stumbling upon head-fi.org.

Yeah, and ebay and amazon also have never enjoyed us this much before stumbling upon dsnuts and head-fi lol!
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back