Wow! The Final Audio Design FI-DC1601SB (also known as "Don't go to Yodobashi" lol)
Mar 2, 2010 at 8:49 AM Post #258 of 428
Hello Shigzeo, I've been reading a lot of good reviews about the Monster Turbine Pro's. Since you have heard both the MTP Gold and the FAD's, what would you say is the difference between them and which do you prefer?

(By the way, is there a difference between the MTP Gold & Copper? There are confusing verdicts about that online).

Mar 2, 2010 at 9:00 AM Post #259 of 428
They are about as different as can get: the Turbine Pro (and turbine) are closed inner ear monitors while the FAD are open - very open.

There are a lot of differences: firstly, bass response. In the FAD, bas response is curtailed to about 60Hz or so even with EQ, so extremely low vibrations are pretty quiet while the Monster goes pretty far down with lots of resolution.

The Monster Turbine Pro is more of a traditional listen: if you like Westone, UE, and Senn, you will find something immediately friendly about the Monster accept that the MTP have several points in which they are made better.

However, the MTP don't exhibit the one trait which makes the FAD a memorable earphone: the sound of metal. I just don't hear it. Whether with echo or decay, the MTP is quite typical, but that means it is perfectly fine.

I prefer the FAD to a lot of other earphones, but then as noticed by both DFKT, James, and the other guy (me), it doesn't meet all genres with the same respect. Before I got to part with these, I've been picking various songs, EQ's, and amps to see what is best.

I still think a loudness curve works best, but bass may only need around 5-6 Decibels. The problem is that if your DAP or source already suffers bass roll off, you won't have any bass with the FAD.

I love them, but they take work. The cable is (sad), the sound is extraordinary (if you are willing to fiddle). But it isn't a fun earphone to use: it's heavy, unwieldy, and doesn't work outside very well. FAD are working on a new earphone (got communication from them last week regarding this).

I hope they do.

Monster certainly listened to complaints from people like me and they fixed them (for the most part).

But, no matter what FAD do, they will not change the fact that the 1601 is hardly a portable earphone! It is like a tiny full size with absolutely amazing echo, stage, and layering (minus a bit of smear with fast music) if you are dedicated. I am not sure if they would suite your style or not.

They are not compatible to review on the same lines: Monster are attacking the price/performance angle in all aspects while FAD are attacking one thing: sound while pretty much missing a few important steps in the mean time.

Mar 2, 2010 at 9:25 AM Post #260 of 428
^ Thanks Shigzeo, that's quite interesting. So I will listen to the FAD's in the next few days, but now that you say they are coming out with a new cable, will wait to buy them if I do like them. Any idea when the new cable is going to be available? Any details on that?

Mar 2, 2010 at 1:19 PM Post #261 of 428
Sorry, I meant earphone. They have a new earphone in the works. The balanced armature will likely have a new shape and cable. The current model I have no idea about, but I hope eventually they will realise that the cable is bad for the design.

The new model which we saw in the beginning of this thread looks to be smaller and armature, but still metal and it looked like it had a different cable.

What I think might work well is a headband design - like a nice koss porta pro, or in other words, something as unwieldy as the Stax portable!

When you try them out, see what they are plugged into and ask the store if you can plug your own source into them. That will be best. Since there were reports that bass was overpowering, I am a bit sceptical about the amp or equalisation which might be applied at the store (this is often the case).

While they sound great equalised, you had better be sure your source can EQ, otherwise, it won't sound as good or bad as in the store. The Sony EQ works pretty well for them and for light music, the voyager is great. An iPod's horrendous EQ isn't up to the task.

Mar 2, 2010 at 1:36 PM Post #262 of 428
@shigzeo, so they are working on a new earphone and BA in the same time? I am looking forward to them. Glad that FAD takes complaints/opinion of consumer seriously.

Mar 2, 2010 at 1:58 PM Post #263 of 428
The earphone is the balanced armature one we saw on the first page. I was told by their sales rep that it should see a late spring/early summer release, but who knows. I sort of derailed the thread sorry. I think I was surprised because I had it all wrong: the new earphone is the balanced armature one.

I doubt if they will change anything withe the 1601, but if they did, it really needs a new cable... and maybe a holster.

Mar 3, 2010 at 7:05 AM Post #264 of 428
My Sony A828 got dusted off today and while at anything past 5 on the volume scale (out of 30) is nearly too loud, its EQ can work wonders here. So, if you are a Sony owner, you should be able to enjoy the FAD very very well. The iPod EQ doesn't cut it - that's for sure and the same goes for the Fuze.

I am testing a Rockboxed iPod Nano 1G now - its amp won't justify a 16Ω earphone, but Rockbox may help a heap.

I am still of the opinion that with the right EQ, it is the finest earphone I've ever heard.

Mar 3, 2010 at 10:26 PM Post #267 of 428
Quote:

Originally Posted by shigzeo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My Sony A828 got dusted off today and while at anything past 5 on the volume scale (out of 30) is nearly too loud, its EQ can work wonders here. So, if you are a Sony owner, you should be able to enjoy the FAD very very well.

This is probably why I took to the FAD - I tested it with my X1060 and my music before I bought it. It seems to be a pretty good match.

Although if they tweak and make improvements, I may be going back to Japan later this year or next year. That could be dangerous!

Mar 3, 2010 at 10:29 PM Post #268 of 428
Quote:

Originally Posted by firoze /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oh by the way James, how do you identify Left from Right on the FAD's? Is the earphone with the two bands on the stem the Right-hand earpiece?

The one with the two markings is the left.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back