Wow! The Final Audio Design FI-DC1601SB (also known as "Don't go to Yodobashi" lol)
Feb 3, 2010 at 8:55 AM Post #166 of 428
iPonderous - you just have to hear them. I use the same GS Voyager in order to enjoy a lot of headphones, namely the DJ1Pro from Ultrasone, the DT880 while I am up and about in the house or office. The FAD, like the package or not, is an extension of the same use pattern.

That is precisely why I mention that they are replacements imo for full size headphones. The only thing I wish would be changed is the transducer impedance. 16Ω is too low.

But all of my full-size headphones are better amped. Some have a special affinity to a certain amp. The FAD have it with the Graham Slee Voyager. Go figure.

Feb 3, 2010 at 9:00 AM Post #167 of 428
Quote:

Originally Posted by iponderous /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So let's see if I've got this right. The FADs are earphones that have to be driven by a specific amp, namely the Graham Slee Voyager in order to reach their potential. They are earphones, yet they are quite unsuitable for portable use. What then are the advantages that these phones offer over comparatively priced full-sized headphones?

You've got it almost right. In fact they reach their full potential only with a specific setting on this specific amp.
wink.gif

Can't help you with a full-sized headphones comparison as I have none worth mentioning.

Feb 3, 2010 at 9:20 AM Post #168 of 428
shigzeo, I know this sounds boringly pragmatic of me but I regard earphones as portable transducers. I don't amp them because I like to travel light. At home it's a stereo system and full-sized headphones. I'd rather save my pennies for an $800 - $1000 pair of full-sized phones that I suspect would out-perform the FADS in most areas, other than whimsy.

I'm glad that you and james444 are enjoying them, I really am. But they really do strike me as fanciful audio. There's nothing wrong with that if you can afford to invest in it and all that it requires to make it sound as it should, without feeling buyer's remorse. Unfortunately, I have to approach my audio purchases somewhat more judiciously.

Feb 3, 2010 at 9:30 AM Post #169 of 428
That is fine ponder. I am not trying to convince anyone to buy the FAD, only that it is a finicky yet good earphone and under the right circumstances, phenomenal. Honestly, I would probably use it as my main headphone if: it came with a 1,5 metre cable and was at least 60Ω with around 96db.

No one should ever buy any earphone if they don't think it will suit their preferences or listening style, full stop. But this earphone, and especially under the power steering provided by the Voyager, is simply one of if not the most amazing sound I have had.

I put it over any custom I have too with the proviso that it is used at home, with metal tips and plugged into the Contour-shaped Graham Slee Voyager. If it were more suited to home amps, I can see FAD controlling a whole new market.

It isn't neutral - forget monitoring with it. It is riddled with fit finick; and it can be frustrating, but in the end (and if you can get to the end of it as a home earphone), it is at the top.

Feb 3, 2010 at 10:20 AM Post #170 of 428
Earnestly, you have a point iponderous. When I ordered the FADs my intention was mobile use. FenderP seemed to enjoy them on the go. From the pics I knew they come with isolating tips. But upon first try I instantly realized this was a big letdown. With isolating tips they sounded really bad to my ears. With metal tips, no isolation and a fragile cable they are really not suitable for commuting.

So I'm using them at home now, mostly while lying down. I can comfortably lie on the side with them, an advantage over full sized phones. They are also by far the most beautiful phones I've ever owned, a joy to look at or touch. But TBO this wouldn't have saved them if shigzeo hadn't found out about the Voyager synergy.

I've only had about an hour with this combo yesterday, but with the same sincerity that I've voiced my complaints about this phone I must admit that I've been completely blown away this time. Now I'm looking forward to listening with more genres and re-comparing against my other IEMs. I'm not going to argue against my own past criticism and especially the cable is still a source of constant concern and resentment. But now there's at least a valid perspective that I will eventually enjoy them sonically the way I had hoped for from the start.

Feb 3, 2010 at 10:47 AM Post #171 of 428
james444, you'll get no argument from me about the visual beauty of these phones. They are very desirable indeed and I'm pleased that they are now meeting your aural expectations as well. Enjoy!

Feb 3, 2010 at 12:59 PM Post #172 of 428
I have a feeling that the balanced armature earphones which FAD will debut later will be more to the usual: flatter FR and less finicky, but I cannot imagine them capturing things so eerily well. At the same time, due to a more usual design, the balanced armature designs will probably be really easy to use.

Feb 9, 2010 at 12:11 AM Post #173 of 428
So these ridiculous abominations with a cheap dynamic driver, a frequency response like a rollercoaster, bad comfort, and bad isolation are made by a company that sells RCA cables with following advertising:

Quote:

The elegance of the molecules in the material enables it to counter even absolutely invisible vibrations.

I take three of their IEMS!!!

I thought this all must be some early April Fools joke, but seems it's all too real. They're probably the dumbest audiophile con artists I've seen yet, even putting Virtual Dynamics to shame. But then again, English might not be their main language, and it all might make sense in Japanese. At least it makes the HD800 look like a bargain...

Feb 9, 2010 at 3:34 AM Post #174 of 428
They do need some help with English translation - that is for sure. I'll agree here - I don't think the pricing (especially of the top model) warrants what you get. However, if the SB model sounds anything like the SS, I would take it hands down over any universal iem on the market. Of course, I'd want my trusty Voyager right along.

Again, I don't think they are a bargain company, nothing like Headfi are their market. The problem with them designing earphones is that they enter into a market which already values what it sees available: cheap plastic. Their cable isn't great, that is for sure, but their designs are for a different market. We are the market who favour the Mazda 6 because of its performance/cost while they are the designers of cars which don't nod anywhere near cost performance.

Maybe you and James could meet up - he has the SB model and the Voyager.

Also, keep in mind that in Japan, these cost about the same as the Westone 3, the Triple Fi 10, or any top iem from around the world. The SB model may even be cheaper than a few of them.

Feb 9, 2010 at 3:43 AM Post #175 of 428
Quote:

Originally Posted by shigzeo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Also, keep in mind that in Japan, these cost about the same as the Westone 3, the Triple Fi 10, or any top iem from around the world. The SB model may even be cheaper than a few of them.

Actually, they are considerably more expensive than the Westone 3 and TF10. At least on Kakaku.

Feb 9, 2010 at 4:24 AM Post #176 of 428
Yes, on kakaku, that is somewhat true. You can find good prices there, but still a lot more expensive than in the USA where the majority of this forum are from. On the street however - places like Yodobashi and Biccamera - will charge almost the same for either one. And as long as the earphone is used inside, I would put the SB (assuming it sounds similarly) over the W3 or Triple by a long shot.

Of course, it isn't easy to use and that is a big put off.

Feb 10, 2010 at 5:22 AM Post #177 of 428
Hello,
I am travelling to Tokyo next month. Where would be the cheapest place to buy the SB or SS models?
Other than Yodobashi, is there any other place in Akihabara where I could audition them?

Feb 10, 2010 at 5:29 AM Post #179 of 428
Quote:

Originally Posted by shigzeo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Definitely audition them. As has been seen in this thread: they will appeal to some and not to others. However, if you have the Voyager, they may do the trick for you.

Thank you, I will certainly audition them. I dont have the Voyager, will use the phone primarily with my iPhone 3GS.
Any suggestions as to the best place (cheapest) to buy them?

Feb 10, 2010 at 5:43 AM Post #180 of 428
I have no idea as I don't live in Japan. You can look online at kakaku.com (a place which diverts all street prices to one cohesive search engine), but to order, you have to have a residence. If you are there for a few days, though, it is easy to do as most places ship within 2 days anywhere in Japan. You can choose 着払い and pay when the product arrives.

But, I would audition them. Test them at Yodobashi or Biccamera (there is one at Akihabara), see if you like the fit, the cable, then decide. The SB I am sure sounds similar to the SS, but I have not tested it. Again, though, the Voyager really, really does justice to them to the point that I prefer them to most of my customs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back