Would you pay $75 for Skullcandy Aviators?
Feb 20, 2011 at 7:35 AM Post #16 of 32

Quote:
The Aviators don't sound completely offensive, at least from my 2 minute audition at an apple store.  But there's certainly better for that money.  But if it's jewelery, then it's in the eye of the beholder. 

Show her these:

Creative Aurvana live
Denon D1001
used athM50
used Audio Technica ESW9

There must be other good looking phones out there.  But I bet she would love the Audio Technica woodies, and they are on-ear so they would probably be good with glasses?

this, and include the es7 as well

Aug 5, 2011 at 9:37 PM Post #20 of 32
I would pay $100 for them, people who say they suck have never listned to them and are just going with the If it's skullcandy it sucks.

Aug 5, 2011 at 10:46 PM Post #21 of 32
The sound signature doesn't look too terrible. I wonder if they're any good. I'd like to try them at least, not that I would buy them. It's too bad I find them a bit goofy looking and I don't want skulls on my headphone (not sure if they do?).

I'll admit they sure do look comfy. Why is that that ultra-comfortable headphones can't be cheaper?! There's the Maxell DHP-II but that's about it. I guess also the XB500.

Aug 5, 2011 at 11:21 PM Post #22 of 32
You want to buy mine to try 'em? I bought them at full retail (which used to be $180) just to see how I liked them and was pretty disappointed, even at half price I wouldn't say they're worth it. They would be a pretty ok $50 headphone. They do look cool, but in person they are a lot smaller than they seem in pictures so they actually look cheap and toy-ish. Not nearly as cool as I thought they would be.

The main flaw IMO, especially at their price, is the extremely shoddy construction. Hold them in your hands and you wonder if you might accidentally crush them, I doubt they would last more than 6 months of average use.

I should clarify, the sound is actually not too bad for a $50 or $75 headphone, and if she likes the looks maybe they'd be an ok choice for her. I just worry they will break or fall apart soon, especially if she's taking them to work every day.

Aug 5, 2011 at 11:41 PM Post #23 of 32
http://www.amazon.com/Sony-MDR-V6-Monitor-Headphones-Voice/dp/B00001WRSJ

Get these! They look cool without trying too hard. They cost the same but they will work even after being dragged by a car.

Aug 31, 2011 at 12:21 PM Post #24 of 32
Also worth considering are the Audio Technica ES7s. They look nice, sound enjoyable for most genres IMO, and should be somewhere close in that price range.

Haven't heard the Aviators though, so I can't make any comparisons.

Like others have said, the Aviators arn't even really worth 75 dollars. 50 maybe. They're not terrible, but for the money there is a lot more from more serious brands that will get you a lot further.
ES7's would be a great choice. You wouldn't be able to get even used ESW9's at that price point though, so don't bother.

Aug 31, 2011 at 1:19 PM Post #25 of 32
I had the Aviators when they were $70 and I didn't feel they were worth it (I don't know if they changed it at all when they raised the price). Sounded kind of muffled and really bad bass.

Aug 31, 2011 at 7:26 PM Post #27 of 32
I've tried these on several occasions at Best Buy and the Apple Store. They sounded much better than expected, and better than the Beats Solo/Studio, Klipsch Image One, Sony XB500 that I compared them against. The B&W P5 had a different signature, but I quite liked those as well (not nearly worth $299, though). I think price no object, I'd take the Aviator of all of those. So yes, given the other options at $75, I'd pull the trigger. I think they're easier to live with every day than a V6 (which is in the same price range). 

Sep 1, 2011 at 12:07 PM Post #28 of 32
+1.  They sounded good out of a Bottlehead (don't remember which), great of of my iPhone, and with the three-button remote, for $75 it edges out competition in its price range for what it does and how it sounds.  Materials feel pretty good, though the aesthetics frankly I could do without.  They went around my ears and their bulk is minimal compared to just about every full-size I've worn.  Considering I wanted one at RRP, at $75 like I said there isn't a better deal for its feature set unless someone has a link they'd like to show me (that's not a bridge or other sardonic real estate joke).

Sep 1, 2011 at 4:19 PM Post #30 of 32
I've tried these on several occasions at Best Buy and the Apple Store. They sounded much better than expected, and better than the Beats Solo/Studio, Klipsch Image One, Sony XB500 that I compared them against. The B&W P5 had a different signature, but I quite liked those as well (not nearly worth $299, though). I think price no object, I'd take the Aviator of all of those. So yes, given the other options at $75, I'd pull the trigger. I think they're easier to live with every day than a V6 (which is in the same price range). 

From auditioning both I would consider the Avaitors more muffled that the XB500's. The XB500's are tailored for bass (and do it in a more clean fashion than skullcandy) I dont think that's what the avaitors are going for in their marketing, they just happen to sounds somewhat sloppy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back