Would require some help and recommendations upgrading my headphones, headphone amp and DAC.
Jul 26, 2021 at 7:46 AM Post #32 of 39
Hey Thanks for checking our headphone my man!

What store were you able to visit? we've been lucky to have some amazing dealers in the EU and beyond. I can try to let you know when the next shipment is going out to help you coordinate when you might be able to hear them.

The store I visited was Hifitalo located in Salo. Would greatly appreciate this, thank you!

Jul 26, 2021 at 10:48 AM Post #33 of 39
The store I visited was Hifitalo located in Salo. Would greatly appreciate this, thank you!

Noice!!!

They have a shipment of V Closed coming in the next few weeks - not sure if they're all sold yet or not though. We love Hifitalo and Janne!

ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com
Jul 26, 2021 at 1:21 PM Post #35 of 39
Thank you for letting me know! I will ask them tomorrow about the V Closed when I go and do second round on Eikons and test Aeolus as well.
Make sure that's what you want to do. If you hear the ZMF VC with a nice tube amp, that's what you are going to want to buy, especially if it is in a nice wood. It's double in price to the alternatives you brought to the table. It's what I own, so I can vouch for it's sound. Just make sure your wallet is prepared.

Jul 27, 2021 at 9:22 AM Post #36 of 39
Make sure that's what you want to do. If you hear the ZMF VC with a nice tube amp, that's what you are going to want to buy, especially if it is in a nice wood. It's double in price to the alternatives you brought to the table. It's what I own, so I can vouch for it's sound. Just make sure your wallet is prepared.

Oh yes, I definitely want to clarify what they are about. If it costs more and if it is what I want...then so be it! Eikons are definitely still on top of my list. Aeolus were good, BUT I think the natural sound, a bit more bass detail and that sweet rough texture just put Eikons on top still. With Aeolus I felt that I was like in front of a stage and with Eikons I felt that I was a bit further away. It didn't really matter to me, but it was interesting to hear the difference.

My ears had gotten more used to the Eikons as well. Those high frequencies did not bother me that much anymore even though there are still some situations where some high freq rhythm sounds can annoy my ear a bit.

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2021 at 9:23 AM Post #37 of 39
Oh yes, I definitely want to clarify what they are about. If it costs more and if it is what I want...then so be it! Eikons are definitely still on top of my list. Aeolus were good, BUT I think the natural sound, a bit more bass detail and that sweet rough texture just put Eikons on top still. With Aeolus I felt that I was like in front of a stage and with Eikons I felt that I was a bit further away. It didn't really matter to me, but it was interesting to hear the difference.
Awesome. Then, go for it.

Aug 20, 2021 at 6:57 AM Post #39 of 39
It's been a while since I wrote, but finally today I was able to test the VC. Aaaaaand they are the ones I'm going to buy.
  • Better bass and precision
  • Can better recognize different instruments in more intense parts
  • More kick
  • Well controlled and balanced in comparison to Eikon. With Eikon some frequencies come forward too much vs VC
  • Actually felt more relaxed with VC, which is probably due to fair bit of more brightness in the Eikons and some frequencies being more dominant
  • Don't know if it is just the brightness or other elements as well, but at times Eikons feel "empty/hollow" while VC has this "body/heart"
  • There is this weird sense of depth and spacial feeling with VC that I got really interested about. Especially with some electronic tracks I felt like I was sucked into something or was in this weird 3D space. This gave the feeling that the headphones are taking me somewhere
I used the stock pads they came with, though not sure if they were the universal or aeolus (those I think come with the headphones). I felt they were really good even though I've heard that the stock pads are not that great, but hey I really liked them. If there was something I would want more would be a tad of brightness and then I think they would be perfect. But for example, listening to System of a Down Prison Song and I was like "holy crap". Perfect amount of bass, roughness and texture, and not too bright.

They had Eikon SV pads that I tried just because they were mentioned in Z reviews. Didn't like them that much because they took most of the lower bass frequencies and kick away and added tons of brightness making them sound quite hollow.

This time they also had Feliks Euforia 20th anniversary edition so was interesting to compare against Elise. I put the Euforia away quite fast. With the stock pads that I used, they brought too much warmth and bass and things started to get quite muddy. With the Eikon SV the experience was better with Euforia, but still wasn't happy with the result. So far the Elise has given me the best sound and will pair that with the VC.

I was worried about the reveal factor with VC, but from my long testing list there were 2 songs where I noticed that decent amount of detail was lost due to there being too much bass and the typical "ooom". Notably earlier Dimmu Borgir material and early Arcturus. There were definitely songs that I felt got elevated with VC.

Shoutout to @HiFiHawaii808 and @Monsterzero for recommending and making me test the VC out :wink:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back