would driver flex finally kill a pair of IEM ?
Jan 29, 2011 at 12:28 AM Post #16 of 69
xD back when I had skullcandies I used to like the squishy sound that they make.  Sometimes I would even wiggle them around in my ears to make that sound.  It shouldn't be too much of a problem though.  I have some cheap 20 headphones that flex a lot and they've been fine for the past 3 years even though I sort of abuse them.

Apr 21, 2011 at 6:24 PM Post #17 of 69
Hmmm...the right 'phone of my MEE CC51 seems to suffer from driver flex(it's ported, too). I didn't realize that's what it was exactly until reading this thread. Basically I thought it had something to do with the silicone tips becoming too squished or something. Now I'm wondering if I should send them back.

Apr 21, 2011 at 8:09 PM Post #18 of 69
Driver flex only happens with dynamic IEMs. Balanced armature (BA) IEMs don't have this problem.

Apr 21, 2011 at 8:55 PM Post #19 of 69
My standard Turbines do it. More on the L. than the R. I don't get what the big deal is...it doesn't affect the sound on mine. Definitely make that little clicky / popping noise, but no volume reduction or frequency range issues.

Apr 21, 2011 at 8:57 PM Post #20 of 69
Oh, so that's what that sound is. :p  I got a pair of cheap audio technica IEMs for my sister (ATH-CLK200, or DIP. Pretty obscure, but she liked the way they looked. :p) and they have pretty awful driver flex.  It actually affected the volume pretty significantly, and usually just in one ear.  I don't remember if they were ported or not though...

Ah, here we go, these are the ones:

http://www.accessoryjack.com/-strse-1699/Audio-dsh-Technica-ATH-dsh-CKL200-CKL200-DIP/Detail.bok

Apr 21, 2011 at 9:13 PM Post #21 of 69

Quote:
Driver flex only happens with dynamic IEMs. Balanced armature (BA) IEMs don't have this problem.

i wouldnt be so sure about this, if im right about what these guys are talking about then this driver flex would be the driver bottoming out much like big speakers, this would be the driver reaching its maximum limits on excursion, balanced armatures may well not suffer because of the design but there are still diaghrams that move, this ''flexing'' is certainly more likely to happen with truely closed earphones but for ported type dynamics which most are a good set of IEM's should be under control, even so very heavy bass and volume would be needed to drive a good dynamic driver to the edge or destruction as it is. my SE530 ( armatures ) dont even hint at this and the same goes for my IE8 at very high levels, i do notice the higher i turn up the volume the sub bass appears only very very slightly louder but this is due to a certain amount of roll off at certain frequencies nothing to do with flexing.

if you wonder why i say closed IEM's may be more susceptible to this just stick your hand over a subwoofer port on a large speaker the differences in flex are massive, bass is tighter, quieter and yet the speaker moves so much more closer to the limits. some people cover up the ports on IEM's but i say dont even go there its just more for the speakers to cope with.

Apr 22, 2011 at 6:07 AM Post #22 of 69
I've had it happen a couple of times while messing around with EQu on the iphone while using my W4s, so it's definitely not just something cheap iems do. It was horrific to have it happen and fortunately they don't seem to have suffered any damage from it. 

Apr 22, 2011 at 4:21 PM Post #24 of 69

Quote:
My TF10's do it and thry're BA IEM's

Interesting. I've had my TF10s for a while and I've never had it happen

Apr 22, 2011 at 6:08 PM Post #25 of 69

Quote:
i got the m2  ,  they would never do it , cuz there are 2 holes on the housing to prevent that from happening

Quote:

that actually makes sense, though it does come at the cost of decreased isolation and more wind noise

I think vented is a better term as porting is generally for adding it's output to the signal and here it's going to the atmosphere. The vent also makes it easier to have driver flex as there is less back pressure to resist the extra excursion associated with flex. Some drivers are just less prone to it and apparently the M2 is one of those.

May 19, 2011 at 2:16 PM Post #27 of 69
I think I experience a so called driver flex with Sunrise Xcape. It is a sever issue, because it totally mutes one ear (the right side). Any ideas if that is fixable ? I tried different seals, same thing happens.

May 20, 2011 at 9:30 PM Post #28 of 69
I've had my TF10s for a couple years as well and I've never had driver flex issues. First time I put on my MTPCs, I heard something like a tiny music box tine twinging in the left bud. It happens every time I put the bud in. I tried another pair, and they didn't make a peep. Only when I insert the bud do I hear the twang... nothing while I'm listening. Definately odd that it only happens to some buds, even from the same brand.

On another note, I think using foam tips would help with my situation at since they don't initially seal as well since they take a moment to conform to your ear.

May 20, 2011 at 9:47 PM Post #29 of 69

Quote:
I've had it happen a couple of times while messing around with EQu on the iphone while using my W4s, so it's definitely not just something cheap iems do. It was horrific to have it happen and fortunately they don't seem to have suffered any damage from it. 

That's something else.  That's a distortion in the song because of the way the software EQu is handled.  IDK the specifics of it, but it's not driver flex.

There could be an explanation for driver flex.  When you insert the headphones into your ears, it creates a seal with your ears right?  Better seal = better sound.  But a seal also adds pressure from your ears (and the drivers).  When this pressure is added, the drivers move back (away from your head) until there is a way for it to displace the air (silicone is breathable, so that normally does it eventually).  The other thing that does it is the vent in the back.  When the air is displaced, the pressure is relieved, you still have the seal, but the pressure is equalized.  If this explanation is incorrect, let me know why.  This is all theory (but it does answer everything you hear).  The clicking is the driver moving (and coils, and wires, and sometimes the actual silicone if you just released the headphones cause they compress due to the force of your finger, then decompress).
^^Again, I'm not professional on this, but that is what I see happening^^

May 21, 2011 at 12:41 AM Post #30 of 69

Quote:
That's something else.  That's a distortion in the song because of the way the software EQu is handled.  IDK the specifics of it, but it's not driver flex.

There could be an explanation for driver flex.  When you insert the headphones into your ears, it creates a seal with your ears right?  Better seal = better sound.  But a seal also adds pressure from your ears (and the drivers).  When this pressure is added, the drivers move back (away from your head) until there is a way for it to displace the air (silicone is breathable, so that normally does it eventually).  The other thing that does it is the vent in the back.  When the air is displaced, the pressure is relieved, you still have the seal, but the pressure is equalized.  If this explanation is incorrect, let me know why.  This is all theory (but it does answer everything you hear).  The clicking is the driver moving (and coils, and wires, and sometimes the actual silicone if you just released the headphones cause they compress due to the force of your finger, then decompress).
^^Again, I'm not professional on this, but that is what I see happening^^

It's definitely not distortion from EQu, and it is also not the same as the little clicking sounds you get when you first make the seal on insertion. It is what it is.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back