Worst Pink Floyd Album EVER?
Jul 21, 2005 at 6:40 PM Post #61 of 120
Two cardinal rules to live a happy and healthy life -

1)Don't get involved in a land war with China, and

2)Don't get involved in a flame war with fyrfytrhoges.

Aman, whether you are right or wrong, 'tis best to let things just defuse, eh? I'd say the same to fyrfytrhoges, but I'm scared of him.

Jul 21, 2005 at 7:52 PM Post #62 of 120
Quote:

now do the right thing and apologize for insinuating that people who like the final cut need to have their ears checked and i will leave your poor little thread alone...

I'm not doing anything about it. You will get no satisfaction from me.

You misread my post, then. I never said that people who like the final cut need to get their ears checked. I said people who believe that "The Final Cut" is representative of Roger's best work need to get their ears checked. Big difference, fella'. You are doing this in a most unprofessional way. You'll get no satisfaction from me.

I am sorry if my writing style for some strange reason made you angry. I was not directing my comments to you. I wasn't directing them to much anybody. I was upset with the amount of criticism and personal attacks I was receiving for simply stating an opinion.

You suck at debating. In fact, you aren't even debating. You're being a little bitch for the sake of it. You are giving me mind-numbing brain exercises which are getting me nowhere. You refuse to respond in effect to what other people say - you merely say the exact same thing as before but use different words. Pathetic. If one responds to you in a normal manner, the least you could do is do the same. You NEVER AGREE WITH ANYBODY -- don't use that argument to say that you're not defending people who agree with you. You know damn well that supporters of The Final Cut have been saying much worse things to me in this very thread, though you fail to realize it because you're just dead-set on attacking me personally for my own beliefs.

Grow up! Hasn't this entire damned message board already established that nobody likes you?

And yes, I am making this public for a good reason. And that reason is because you are being a complete hipocrite. And even worse that the things you are accusing me of are not only false but also complete misunderstanding.

I tried to be nice with you! I responded in a very elequent manner. I already appologized to you. In addition to appologizing, I have said my fair shares of "IMO" to show that my opinion is only my opinion. My writing style will not change. I have a great skill in defensive and persuasive writing pieces - I am on the debate team - I have a numerous amount of characteristics that give me my writing style as it is. If you do not like it, I am very sorry. Though, I will not make my writing style more fake in order to make YOU, and ONLY YOU in fact, happy. Try to realize the following:

-Nobody else has complained except for you about my "ears checked" comments. I think most people understood it was merely an opinion, and an eloquent way of responding, as Peruriban says.

-Many people have said many more insulting things that you refuse to acknowledge. It appears this is so only because of your similar and agreeing opinions. Because you are not an authority of the forums, you have no excuse for acusing me of "crimes" that many others have comited in much greater offenses.

-You are ruining a perfectly good thread that was suriving fine on its own until you appeared here. You hardly even contributed. You have not once said what you voted for. Please, contribute or GO AWAY! You are not doing any good here in this thread, just like EVERY OTHER ONE YOU POST IN!

- Quote:

mostly because he comes off as a know it all

This is a dispicable means of claiming that you disagree. You disagreed because you have different tastes than me. Somebody's "coming off" is a terrible basis of opinion.

-And finally, no, I did not forget to adress any of your pathetic "comments". You merely cannot read. You have demonstrated this lacking quality as well through other threads.

-You are on my ignore list.

Now PLEASE, LEAVE THIS THREAD ALONE. DO NOT GET IT SHUT DOWN.

Do you keep a friggin' list of how many you get closed? Christ!

Jul 21, 2005 at 8:03 PM Post #63 of 120
guess i struck a nerve there hey.......

well at least i proved my point.

edit, not that it matters much, but could someone point me to the thread where "the entire damned message board" decided they dont like me, id like to read that, thanks in advance.

Jul 21, 2005 at 10:25 PM Post #64 of 120
I would have to say Final Cut. I can't get into it, I have sat down and listened too it all the way through several times to get a feel for it. There are other cds I have done this with that I initially disliked but came to like after giving them a second chance. I just can't get into the Final Cut no matter how many times I listen to it.

I could also add that I think Radio KAOS is like one of the worst cds I have ever listened too so that might explain it.

Jul 22, 2005 at 1:38 AM Post #65 of 120
Quote:

Originally Posted by PSmith08
Let's recall that the subtitle for TFC is "a requiem for the post war dream." I think there is no redemption at the end because Roger decided the dream was already dead. This isn't the story told in The Wall. In the end, Pink broke free of his prison. I think Roger saw Baroness Thatcher's England (and the wider world of the 80s) as a betrayal of all that for which the troops (and, by extension, his father) died. I think the recent inclusion of "When the Tigers Broke Free" furthers the sense of betrayal and angst. Of course, the story of the veteran only goes to further the sense of ignored sacrifice, frustrated ambition, and loss.

I think thats one of the better critiques of TFC i've read... 'tis indeed an emotional outpouring from Roger but a class act none the less and it regularly gets air time on my system
smily_headphones1.gif
Division Hell is the 'suckyest' PF work i own...

Jul 22, 2005 at 1:49 AM Post #66 of 120
id have to agree, psmith was pretty much spot on. no one could change my mind about this album, gloomy or not, its a great album. could anyone say rogers greatest solo accomplishment and quite possibly one of the classics of all time "amused to death" wasnt gloom and doom?

Jul 25, 2005 at 6:20 AM Post #67 of 120
If I were to vote, I'd probably say Momentary Lapse of Reason, but IMO the poll is flawed by the inclusion of these David Gilmore solo albums. Gilmore's a great guitar player, don't get me wrong, but just because you can win a lawsuit doesn't make you the band.

I thought Pros and Cons of Hitchhiking sounded more like Floyd than Momentary Lapse of Reason, and to this day can't get over how psychedelic Eric Clapton and David Sanborn can sound when they want to.

For my money, the entire stretch from DSOTM to Final Cut were Pink Floyd's golden years. I'd probably pick The Wall as the best, just for its epic scope & impact, but I'd be more likely to listen to Animals or Wish You Were Here these days. I really liked The Final Cut...even if the album was as bad as some people here were saying, it would gain an entire letter grade just for having "Not Now John" on it.

I never really got in to any "pre-Dark Side" Floyd. I borrowed a copy of Piper at the Gates of Dawn from a buddy back in the '80s, but it sounded really dated to me...kind of scared me away from the entire era.

Jul 25, 2005 at 9:28 AM Post #68 of 120
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aman
Indeed, there are not. And I think that again this is a mis-communication. I simply meant that usually you dislike an album just because you dislike it.

Well, no. Believe me, I am the first person to analyze why I do and do not like albums -- it makes it easier to buy more albums in the future -- but sometimes, it's just not knowable. Quote:

I believe that while both are opinions, one can have a favorite album from a band that they still think is the "worst". Not very often, but it could happen.

I disagree. You're trying to establish a scenario in which the two are not completely tied together. If you do that to music, you take the soul out of it, rendering the experiment futile. Quote:

So, what I am trying to say is -- base the selection of this poll off of whether or not the album does not contain what you think makes a good album. Don't choose merely your least favorite.

I stand by my statement -- you cannot separate these two.

Jul 27, 2005 at 9:45 PM Post #70 of 120
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aman
The Final Cut sounds stupid to me.

So what, who cares what you think of it? I don't. I love the album and I also love the pros and cons of hitch hiking and amused to death and the opinions of someone who wasn't even a twinkle in their parents eye when the Final cut was released don't mean jack **** to me...... call it stupid, call it what you like, call me stupid, call the world stupid....... nobody gives a damn sunshine. I've followed Floyd since 1970 and I'm perfectly aware of all of their works and don't need to listen to the opinions of some kid in short pants who probably hasn't even been to one of their concerts.

Those who understand it appreciate it, those who don't call it stupid. It's a free world and you're free to express your opinions but I don't need to "get my ears checked" you need to understand that different people appreciate different things and their musical tastes "evolve" over the years........ maybe when your ready to understand the Final Cut you'll be in a position to enjoy it for the great album it is.

Mike.

Jul 27, 2005 at 9:48 PM Post #71 of 120
Quote:

Originally Posted by ken36
The Wall in Concert.

It was superb live (Mind blowing) but the CD just doesn't capture the sheer scale / ambience of the event.

Jul 27, 2005 at 9:52 PM Post #72 of 120
Quote:

Originally Posted by fyrfytrhoges
id have to agree, psmith was pretty much spot on. no one could change my mind about this album, gloomy or not, its a great album. could anyone say rogers greatest solo accomplishment and quite possibly one of the classics of all time "amused to death" wasnt gloom and doom?

Amused to death is my favourite Waters solo work closely followed by the Pros and cons of Hitch Hiking, have you got "in the flesh" Paul? I had the pleasure of seeing Roger on the in the Flesh tour and it was just incredible to see the guy on stage again, the audience were singing along from start to finish it was an absolutely magical event! I wrote a small piece here

Jul 27, 2005 at 9:56 PM Post #73 of 120
Quote:

Originally Posted by PinkFloyd
It was superb live (Mind blowing) but the CD just doesn't capture the sheer scale / ambience of the event.

I rather liked (and still do like) The Wall Live. I doubt that anything as enormous as the show seemed from the pictures could be crammed into a two disc set. However, there is a humanity and depth to it that the original record seems to have a bit less of. Also, until this year, if I recall correctly, the Wall shows were the last ones to feature the full band (Waters, Gilmour, Mason, and Wright).

I only wish that there was some video release of the show. I know it would be a poor substitute for the performances, but it would be neat to see what it looked like.

Jul 27, 2005 at 10:21 PM Post #74 of 120
As a somewhat more casual fan of Pink Floyd than many here i voted for Momentary Lack of Music.

Final Cut is one of my favorites (especially because it is a downer; that can be good at times) as is Animals and DSOTM

That being said i started with the band with The Wall so i may lack some context. And my opinion of the song Comfortably Numb was not universally agreed with here
rolleyes.gif

Jul 27, 2005 at 11:56 PM Post #75 of 120
Mike, i did see roger in 99, it was actually the first show of the entire tour. cant believe he actually started a tour in milwaukee. still have the stub, newspaper review and i got a boot of the entire show and its an awesome recording, almost sounds soundboard but its not. i got chills when roger came out on stage at the first chords of "in the flesh" and it didnt stop until the curtain came down. the final cut performances were awesome as well, they translate very well live, as well as the pros and cons, particularly "get your filthy hands of my dessert" and "southhampton dock" from tfc. sad that some people wouldnt be able to enjoy these in concert because of their close minded dismissal of an entire album because they feel that they know it all....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back