Worst Pink Floyd Album EVER?
Jul 17, 2005 at 8:32 PM Post #2 of 120
The Final Cut wasn't really a floyd album, it was a waters solo album that the band convinced him to release as floyd.

I'd say the worst floyd album is DSOTM, with the basis being that floyd's last album was the wall
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 17, 2005 at 8:37 PM Post #3 of 120
I am talking PF albums -- not what you "believe" or not what IS a Pink Floyd album. The Final Cut was produced by the band Pink Floyd, so it is therefore a Pink Floyd album. Sure, it may suck, and it may not have had much input from anybody but Waters -- but it was still released under the name "Pink Floyd".

Quote:

Originally Posted by grawk
I'd say the worst floyd album is DSOTM,

eek.gif
!!!!

Jul 17, 2005 at 8:43 PM Post #5 of 120
Definitelly the most difficult for me to hear are the first two albums, they has nothing to do with the later Pink Floyd, those two Syd albums, and later the Unmagumma!!!!!....too much for me. Even though, there are a few remarkable good tracks on any of those, but in comparison, I preffer the later ones...

Jul 17, 2005 at 9:29 PM Post #7 of 120
Taken for what it is, The Final Cut is a brilliant album. Sure, it is pretty Roger-centered, but that trend was becoming apparent as early as Wish You Were Here and, no doubt about it, The Wall. In my opinion, it is as much a Floyd album as the post-Waters stuff. However, elements of the solo material are pretty obvious.

That having been said, The Division Bell is pretty uniformly awful.

Jul 17, 2005 at 9:42 PM Post #8 of 120
Wow -- I am surprised by the amount of praise that The Final Cut is getting.

However, I suppose it justifies all that I am reading about it being a "love or hate" album.

The Final Cut to me sounds STUPID. Throughout the album, Waters' voice sounded pathetic -- it lacked any sort of beauty or soul, and it was "emotional" to the point where it was unbearably cliched and devestating.

The Final Cut is continuously boring, pathetic, and lacking any structure! The lyrics in particular are quite bad and far from the poetic work he would have done earlier in his career. Honestly, listen to the title track of "The Final Cut", and then listen to "Set the Controls for the Heart of the Sun" or "Grantchester Meadows" -- the difference is amazing. You'd think it was a completely different person playing/writing.

Although -- I suppose there is room for argument that these kinds of passages found in the Final Cut were loved by fans of "The Wall" and that album's similar passages (and believe me, I am no fan of those similar songs found in The Wall either). The Division Bell is a close second as far as bad Pink Floyd albums go, but I still despise The Final Cut greatly.

Jul 18, 2005 at 2:37 AM Post #11 of 120
oh my God, just goes to show how SUBJECTIVE music taste is. final cut is brilliant imo and as far as waters voice goes, that kind of crap is said all the time about various artists. there are people who think thom yorke's voice is crap, or nick cave sounds like he's in a "cave" when he sings. i believe that waters voice is distinctive or different sounding, not at all bad. my vote is for the absolutely miserable farce "a momentary lapse of reason," not only a sad attempt at sounding "floyd" but also one of the worst recordings i have, and thats saying alot for a band who is rather meticulous when it comes to production value. look at how long it takes them to do dvds of concert recordings, most of the delays are because the band are not happy with certain aspects of the sound remastering, case in point, how long exactly have we been waiting for the pulse dvd?

Jul 18, 2005 at 2:52 AM Post #12 of 120
I have to give my nod to the Final Cut as well. I think it is a great album. Perhaps a bit heavy on the post war trauma, but I enjoy it nonetheless. As far as I am concerned, there is no PF w/o RW. Pros & Cons of Hitchhiking sounds a lot more like the PF I grew up with than any of the post Waters PF releases.

In any case, I don't know about worst, but I think Wish You Were Here gets a bit fluffy times.

Jul 18, 2005 at 3:12 AM Post #13 of 120
The final cut may be a brilliant album, but it's also dark, depressing, and bottom line is that I don't like it. So it gets my vote.

Jul 18, 2005 at 3:29 AM Post #14 of 120
Quote:

Originally Posted by elrod-tom
The final cut may be a brilliant album, but it's also dark, depressing, and bottom line is that I don't like it. So it gets my vote.

This might be the best objection to The Final Cut I have heard in a long time. It is also all true. The Final Cut is just one of those albums that provokes extreme dislike or inspires great devotion. It is Waters's clearest summary of his views on the post-war world, and it doesn't sprawl or indulge itself (too much
wink.gif
).

However, if there is one Waters-era Floyd album to hate, this probably is it.

Jul 18, 2005 at 5:06 AM Post #15 of 120
I still don't own Relics or Final Cut (More is on its way)

Out of those I do own, it is probably Ummagumma (we seem to be comparing the studio albums...)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back