Worst Pink Floyd Album EVER?
Jul 18, 2005 at 8:00 AM Post #18 of 120
Quote:

Originally Posted by grawk
Old floyd was drastically different, and not as appealing to many people. Me, give me syd over newer floyd any day.

I wouldn't necessarily call Ummagumma "old floyd". It was their experimental period - The Narrow Way is one of the best things PF ever did IMO. That and the "Atom Heart Mother Suite" and the entire Dark Side of the Moon album.

And yes, I agree with you - give my Syd Barrett over Roger Waters any day. I very much dislike his solo music in comparison with the absolute dark genius of Syd.

Jul 18, 2005 at 8:07 AM Post #19 of 120
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aman
eek.gif
!!!!

My thoughts exactly. DSOTM may not be there best but it is by far not their worst. My favorites in order would have to be:

1. Meddle
2. Wish you were here
3. DSOTM
4. The Wall

Jul 18, 2005 at 10:32 AM Post #20 of 120
A Momentary lapse of Reason gets my vote for worst PF Album Ever.

The Final Cut is a great album!!!
eek.gif

Jul 18, 2005 at 5:44 PM Post #21 of 120
Division Bell & Momentary Lapse are fine.
Never heard Final Cut. LOVE Syd Floyd. I was thinking of some of the older stuff as I walked through a big hall of MRI machines, hearing the helium pumps making that rythmic noise intermingled with the periodic footsteps and industrial miscellanea and thinking about how cool a binaural recording of the lot would be.

I don't really like Animals at all...

Jul 18, 2005 at 6:40 PM Post #22 of 120
Interesting thread.

I'm torn on the whole The Final Cut debate. On one hand, musically & lyrically it's a fairly good album and I can enjoy it. On the other hand, it can basically be described as a rehash of The Wall. And when you consider how powerful The Wall really is, it makes The Final Cut fail in that regard.

So putting band politics aside, I can hardly describe it as PF's worst albums just because Roger Water's happened to be a dick when it was made. The Final Cut is dark, and unlike The Wall's sometimes bleak outlook, it offers no hope at the end. If I had to describe The Final cut in just one word, that word would be jaded. I suppose if I hadn't listented to any other of Pink Floyd's work I'd probably like The Final Cut a whole lot more. But when you compare it to The Wall, it comes up short and depressing.

I can enjoy The Final Cut musically, it does actually sound good and I enjoy the production values. But, overall it is just depressing with no remorse, or offering of hope, rebellion, just sadness. So yea... gets my vote too.

Jul 18, 2005 at 6:50 PM Post #23 of 120
If I were to rank them, this is how I'd do it:

1 Animals
2 Wish You Were Here
3 Piper at the Gates of Dawn
4 Ummagumma
5 A Saucerful Of Secrets
6 Meddle
7 Obscured by Clouds
8 The Final Cut
9 The Wall
10 Atom Heart Mother
11 More
12 Dark Side of the Moon
13 Relics - I don't count this, really, it's just a best of
14 A Momentary Lapse of Reason
15 The Division Bell

Jul 18, 2005 at 9:33 PM Post #24 of 120
Quote:

13 Relics - I don't count this, really, it's just a best of

Not REALLY. I mean, it does contain "Careful With that Axe, Eugene" and a few other very good singles that weren't released on any other Floyd record before this one.

I am just SHOCKED that you put DSotM at the bottom of that list. Maybe you're just going through a phase -- but it is by-far one of the best things they have ever done, IMO. What's the deal with that?

Jul 18, 2005 at 9:42 PM Post #25 of 120
It's well recorded, but has been so overplayed. I mostly just think it lacks the power of later floyd and lacks the inventiveness of earlier floyd.

It's not even that I don't like it, it's just not my favorite floyd record. Still better than anything by the beatles, for example.

Jul 18, 2005 at 10:00 PM Post #26 of 120
Quote:

Originally Posted by TWIFOSP
Interesting thread.

I'm torn on the whole The Final Cut debate. On one hand, musically & lyrically it's a fairly good album and I can enjoy it. On the other hand, it can basically be described as a rehash of The Wall. And when you consider how powerful The Wall really is, it makes The Final Cut fail in that regard.

So putting band politics aside, I can hardly describe it as PF's worst albums just because Roger Water's happened to be a dick when it was made. The Final Cut is dark, and unlike The Wall's sometimes bleak outlook, it offers no hope at the end. If I had to describe The Final cut in just one word, that word would be jaded. I suppose if I hadn't listented to any other of Pink Floyd's work I'd probably like The Final Cut a whole lot more. But when you compare it to The Wall, it comes up short and depressing.

I can enjoy The Final Cut musically, it does actually sound good and I enjoy the production values. But, overall it is just depressing with no remorse, or offering of hope, rebellion, just sadness. So yea... gets my vote too.

Let's recall that the subtitle for TFC is "a requiem for the post war dream." I think there is no redemption at the end because Roger decided the dream was already dead. This isn't the story told in The Wall. In the end, Pink broke free of his prison. I think Roger saw Baroness Thatcher's England (and the wider world of the 80s) as a betrayal of all that for which the troops (and, by extension, his father) died. I think the recent inclusion of "When the Tigers Broke Free" furthers the sense of betrayal and angst. Of course, the story of the veteran only goes to further the sense of ignored sacrifice, frustrated ambition, and loss.

I tend to see TFC as more in the vein of WYWH and Animals, as biting social critique. Clearly, Waters has unresolved issues regarding modernity and what modern life requires of and does to its inhabitants. However, if I had to have the same issues, I wouldn't mind.

Jul 18, 2005 at 10:10 PM Post #27 of 120
Quote:

Originally Posted by grawk
It's well recorded, but has been so overplayed. I mostly just think it lacks the power of later floyd and lacks the inventiveness of earlier floyd.

It's not even that I don't like it, it's just not my favorite floyd record. Still better than anything by the beatles, for example.

Lacks inventiveness? What? This was one of the first concept albums ever! There was nothing like this ever to exist! Who would have thought to tell a life's story in between a heart beat? Who would have thought to have all the songs connect to each other in a very linear and obvious way? The amount of depth in an album had NEVER been thought of or reached before DSotM!

Lacks power, you say? "Us and Them" is one of the most passionate songs I have ever heard in my life! I seriously think you will be regretting what you are saying... I had a phase like this too where I wasn't digging Dark Side of the Moon -- it only took one listen to realize how stupid I was being. I cannot believe myself that I am hearing somebody say these things!

To each his own, I suppose...

Jul 19, 2005 at 12:23 AM Post #28 of 120
I voted for a momentary lapse of reason, or rather... a Momentary Lapse of Recording Standards
rolleyes.gif

The Division Bell would be my 2nd vote. I like the first and last track a lot, but most of the middle stuff sounds very very 80s. Hair Band Power Ballads.

final cut is beautiful. you can't deny the quality of this album's recording and I think it's the most intimate thing floyd has done.
atom heart mother is a different kind of beautiful.

Jul 19, 2005 at 1:16 AM Post #30 of 120
Only have two PF albums so far: DSOTM (SACD/CD hybrid), and Momentary Lapse of Reason (CD). The latter I bought long long time ago, should be one of my first 10 CD's in fact. It was the album containing one song I liked a lot musically after watching the video: Dogs of war. That song I like, but the album in itsef as a whole I don't. I think I only heard the whole album a few times, and after that only went back to it for Dogs of War, nothing else.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back